Insurance for MH.....Naive question perhaps? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am about to start the time consuming process of checking out insurance for delivery of our new 'van in March. I have a multi car policy with Admiral (me and the kids) but I notice from reading these forums that most people seem to use Comfort, Safeguard, Frank Pickles etc.

Is there a significant reason why people don't just simply insure with their normal car insurer?

I also notice on the online quote facility with these companies that few if any offer 'no claims bonus' discounts.

Before I start the whole drawn out business of getting online quotes could anyone offer me any advice please?

Many thanks

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Good question, and it is indeed simple.

It's because 99% of car insurers don't do motorhomes ......

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you will find M/H INS IS PROBABLY A LOT CHEAPER THAN CAR INS.:Eeek: lot's of companys don't give a no claims bonus but lots do :thumb:Some will mirror your cars no claim B :thumb: so if you have full NCB on car they will give/ mirrror the NCB
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
hi grahame
I found that most car insurers do not cater for motor homes,we are with direct line with multicar but they would only insure the base vehicle and not the habitation.most of the mh insurers will mirror your no claims over to your new mh any way and at a much cheaper rate.hope this helps
paul

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One of the reasons is the European Cover you get for motorhomes, if you are going to quite a few places, Morocco being an example, even some motorhome coverers wont do it.
If you are staying in the UK I got a good deal from the Caravan Club yesterday after ringing around a few, in fact it was £100 cheaper than some.
Also make sure you have breakdown cover adequate for the motorhome, some do not cover certain lenghs.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
For us Safeguard had the best deal. European cover and breakdown included and also mirrored our NCB.
Good luck searching.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Car insurers cant understand why a £16000 van suddenly jumps up to £50000 by adding a few interior bits
And quite frankly neither can I:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you insure with Comfort their policy is underwritten by Aviva. My car is insured with Aviva so I asked them for a multi-vehicle quote. Their answer - we dont insure motorhomes.

As others have said depends what you require - UK only, UK plus so many days Europe, named drivers etc etc.

Then you can fall into another minefield. You may then find that your house insurance is not valid if you're out of the country and the house is unoccupied for x number of days.

Finally Lynda had an accident in her car on 22 December. She is fully comp, protected no claims and has a 38 year accident free record. We are still waiting for SHEILAS WHEELS to decide if the car is a write off, or whether it is repairable. Thats 32 days :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Bloody insurance :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Was'nt there a Scottish 17 yr old (a couple of weeks back) saying he got cover for a campervan from Aviva direct ? cost £1.000- very very cheap for 17 :thumb:
terry

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm with Safeguard with European cover

(which seems in fact to be through Swinton), and have 4 years no claims bonus with them. I have since moved my car and house insurance to Swinton as I got discounts in both instances.

Catherine

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
I went with comfort (aviva) price costomer sirvice, as we have fiat assistance brake down all over europe free for 3 years didnt need breakdown..:thumb:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
MH Insurance

Just insured ours after calling Safeguard, Comfort and Caravanguard - went with Safeguard - reasonable premium, unlimited european ytavel cover plus 12 month breakdown cover in Europe and £15 discount for being a member here.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks guys, I'm on the case :Smile: (or should that be 'I am a case') ::bigsmile:

:thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
That's interesting

Just insured ours after calling Safeguard, Comfort and Caravanguard - went with Safeguard - reasonable premium, unlimited european ytavel cover plus 12 month breakdown cover in Europe and £15 discount for being a member here.

They wouldn't give me a discount for being a Fun member!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well so far.........

Safeguard have been the nicest most friendliest people to deal with and they have offered me the best quote by far. They include full AA breakdown cover, new for old, unlimited miles here or abroad :Smile:

I still have a couple more to check out but it does like a big :thumb: for Safeguard :thumb::thumb:

:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back