Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Hi,
I am trying to get fully comp insurance to drive a new Hymer back from Germany. The dealer I am using will only give me third party insurance.
I am also struggling to get UK insurance for the van on the Vin number. Has anyone managed to do this?
I am with Comfort Insurance now with my present Motorhome but they wont insure me for my new Hymer until I get the UK number plates. I have tried to get temporary insurance on a Vin number without any luck.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi. We have very recently got insurance on the Vin plate for our self imported van from Safeguard. Give them a try, act shocked at the initial quote and you may be plesently surprised when the knock £100 off, or at least they did for us.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I met the same problem. You can get temporary insurance to cover you for a week through a Dutch company (which is carried by a UK insurance co), and in the UK I have got "cover note" insurance through the C&C Club until I get the UK registration. It is possible, but you have to go through quite a few companies.

I'll have a couple of Ducato RHD headlamps for sale next week, if that interests you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hymermick
Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
I met the same problem. You can get temporary insurance to cover you for a week through a Dutch company (which is carried by a UK insurance co), and in the UK I have got "cover note" insurance through the C&C Club until I get the UK registration. It is possible, but you have to go through quite a few companies.

I'll have a couple of Ducato RHD headlamps for sale next week, if that interests you!

I have tried the company in Holland which people have suggested but they want 770 euros for a month.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have tried the company in Holland which people have suggested but they want 770 euros for a month.
If you really want full comp it is one of your few options condiering you are saving up to 20k on the van.
You ould buy from another dealer, Eddie (Judgemental ) knows a dealer who will do fully comp.
We buy in Belgium and the dealer drives the van to the port.
Used NFU to get the van home once registered changed back to Comfort.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Safeguard were prepared to insure my van on the vin number for 2 weeks until registered, also reduced quote 3 times once for a tracker and twice cos I asked nicely!

OP
OP
hymermick
Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
If you really want full comp it is one of your few options condiering you are saving up to 20k on the van.
You ould buy from another dealer, Eddie (Judgemental ) knows a dealer who will do fully comp.
We buy in Belgium and the dealer drives the van to the port.
Used NFU to get the van home once registered changed back to Comfort.

I phoned NFU this morning and they told me they don't insure on Vin numbers. I told them that they had insured people on this forum in the past to which I was told it might have changed this year. Thanks for your help.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try Safeguard...

If your nervous re driving 3rd party get quote from dealer to drive it to port or even deliver it..

1000's get driven back 3rd party..dont really see the problem. Dealer I use less then 4 hrs from Calais. Just be sensible, take your time, keep your distance and you will be fine. We usually take a few days to get back and treat it as a mini break:)

Once you have done it you will wonder what the fuss was about...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back