Insurance for German import

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by hymermick, Jul 31, 2015.

1. hymermick

hymermick Funster

Hi,
    I am trying to get fully comp insurance to drive a new Hymer back from Germany. The dealer I am using will only give me third party insurance.
    I am also struggling to get UK insurance for the van on the Vin number. Has anyone managed to do this?
    I am with Comfort Insurance now with my present Motorhome but they wont insure me for my new Hymer until I get the UK number plates. I have tried to get temporary insurance on a Vin number without any luck.

2. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Hi. We have very recently got insurance on the Vin plate for our self imported van from Safeguard. Give them a try, act shocked at the initial quote and you may be plesently surprised when the knock £100 off, or at least they did for us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chuns

chuns Read Only Funster

I met the same problem. You can get temporary insurance to cover you for a week through a Dutch company (which is carried by a UK insurance co), and in the UK I have got "cover note" insurance through the C&C Club until I get the UK registration. It is possible, but you have to go through quite a few companies.

I'll have a couple of Ducato RHD headlamps for sale next week, if that interests you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. hymermick

hymermick Funster

I have tried the company in Holland which people have suggested but they want 770 euros for a month.

5. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Be very careful. There are a dedicated majority on this forum who are dead against importing foreigners into this country.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If you really want full comp it is one of your few options condiering you are saving up to 20k on the van.
    You ould buy from another dealer, Eddie (Judgemental ) knows a dealer who will do fully comp.
    We buy in Belgium and the dealer drives the van to the port.
    Used NFU to get the van home once registered changed back to Comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Safeguard were prepared to insure my van on the vin number for 2 weeks until registered, also reduced quote 3 times once for a tracker and twice cos I asked nicely!

• Like Like x 2
  8. hymermick

hymermick Funster

I phoned NFU this morning and they told me they don't insure on Vin numbers. I told them that they had insured people on this forum in the past to which I was told it might have changed this year. Thanks for your help.

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Try Safeguard...

If your nervous re driving 3rd party get quote from dealer to drive it to port or even deliver it..

1000's get driven back 3rd party..dont really see the problem. Dealer I use less then 4 hrs from Calais. Just be sensible, take your time, keep your distance and you will be fine. We usually take a few days to get back and treat it as a mini break:)

Once you have done it you will wonder what the fuss was about...

• Like Like x 1