Insurance for bike whilst being towed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by South_Wales_Lady, Aug 23, 2016.

1. South_Wales_Lady

South_Wales_Lady Funster

So it seems we've got insurance for our MH and for the bike trailer but the insurers (Saga) won't cover the trailer's contents. Rang our scooter insurers (Hastings Direct) and they said they couldn't cover the bike while it's being towed. So if we have an accident the bike currently isn't insured, at least not while it's being towed behind the MH - does anybody know of any way we can get it covered?

2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I've towed bikes for 35 years and never worried.

• Like Like x 1
  3. South_Wales_Lady

South_Wales_Lady Funster

To be honest so have we but that's only because we always assumed we were covered by one insurance or another. It might well come down to having to bear the risk ourselves I guess but just wondered if others had come across this and found a way round it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It must be the same with a car on a trailer. I am sure cover is possible. You may need to change bike insurers perhaps?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    For what its worth,when i rang Comfort in 09' about towing a car (No trailer),i was told by a very nice clued up lady,that it would only be covered as Third Party.
    The lady knew her stuff,explaining to me everything that was covered by the m/h insurance from all angles,so at the time,she would have been giving me up to date info.
    Tea Bag

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Your bike should be covered under its own "comprehensive" cover. We tow a Toyota IQ and it is definitely covered for "All risks" whilst being towed.
    I checked this with out insurance and they confirmed it in writing which I firmly asked for. Your bike if covered by a comprehensive policy is cover as comprehensive means just that . If they say otherwise and I would check you do not really have comprehensive cover. Trust me it will be covered and I spent much time and effort establishing the exact parameters !

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. South_Wales_Lady

South_Wales_Lady Funster

Charlie, I totally agree with you that that's as it should be. To be honest, the guy I spoke to at Hastings Direct was very abrupt and didn't want to explore possibilities at all, he told me it wasn't covered and that was that as far as he was concerned. I'm going to ring back and try and speak to someone else and if necessary someone more senior - as was said above, the same surely applies when a car is being towed on a trailer and that can be an even more costly risk, so surely they would be covered by their policies? Watch this space.

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If comprehensive cover was truly comprehensive they wouldn't have pages of exclusions.

9. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

As Charlie says the towed vehicle is covered by its own insurance. However when I was towing a car on a trailer I simply insured the car and the trailer as well as the MH all with the same insurer, NFU. On the basis that whatever happened there was only one company in the mix.

10. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Have a wee read of this thread ? It explains a little about insurance in my experience ?

As a biker since I were tut lad I can say without doubt my machines were covered while being towed or taken to race tracks all over Europe in vans. If a bike fell off a trailer it was covered. If it fell over in the van it was covered. I did literally thousands of miles with my machines in vans or on trailers and they were covered comprehensively without a shadow of a doubt.
    With respect your advisor is/was taking from the rear facing orifice . Do what I do. Ask the questions and suffer no more than 2 minutes bull then ask firmly but politely to speak to a senior manager. Do not accept bull or they will baffle you with it !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  11. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Did the van insurance cover them?

12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Bikes even though track/race bikes were insured under their own right. Comprehensive cover covering all risks with the exception of course of being ridden on tracks where there was zero cover just as you my friend would know. Parking in car parks while in B&Bs i salubrious areas like Cadwell Park or over at the Ring meant I wanted my nikes and kit insured.

13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

How did you insure race bikes?. Only ever had theft cover on mine.

My track bikes were (are) fully comp though.

14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

lets face it is the car or trailer on the back of a van is damaged it has been smashed into from behind, usually If you take care loading and securing it will not come off, it the trailer breaks away then the towing system is faulty and shouldn't. There is little chance of damage unless it is a complete s***cart when the van and trailer are totalled.

15. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Yup, only ever had theft cover, no one will touch you for damage of any sort.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Errr Just asked mate.. They were insured exactly the same as road bikes except of course use on the track. Of course this goes against what I've said about "comprehensive) cover above but the exception is and was quite obvious. It was NU back then who we insured with
    Why ?? Accidental damage other than that caused on the track was insurable as well as theft. One or two of the mikes were not even ex road bikes but bikes built from the frame up.. So no registration numbers or V5s, we had no problems insuring them from the frame numbers and documentation indicating the build costs which as you guys will know can be massive !

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charlie

Charlie Funster

People insure all sorts of things.. Teeth for example or material items of any kind. Offer the risk cover to an insurer ant they should offer a cost for the risk never had an issue getting cover with the obvious excursions which I fully understood

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

It's not only the bike you have to think of though , what if it comes off and kills someone at the side of the road, who's going to pay out then.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. South_Wales_Lady

South_Wales_Lady Funster

Yes that's true. I tried ringing Hastings again and spoke to a very helpful person this time, unfortunately she didn't know the answer herself and there was no-one more senior available at the time. She promised to email the answer but hasn't as yet (this was three hours ago) so I've now emailed them to ask the question again. Lots of deep breaths.

20. Yorick

Yorick Funster

In 35 years track use, I've never heard of bike falling off a trailer.

• Like Like x 1