Insurance for an older van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Ralphos, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ralphos

Ralphos

Hello. I am in the process of buying a 20 year old Mercedes 308d van with existing 'home' conversion. The purchase price is £2000 pounds plus some improvement costs of say £500. Total value approx £2500. I am looking for insurance and have read advice but this seems to be based on more valuable vehicles. I do not intend travelling abroad, the van being used only for occasional uk trips. Should I consider just 'third party' cover given the low value. I am aged 66 and have existing car insurance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

My hymer will be 20 years old in april, fully comp with comfort, would never go 3rd party. Insurance companies may not offer 3rd party, get a few quotes.

3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi. We joined the Caravan Club when we had our '86 MB608 conversion, to qualify for their insurance which has no limits on age or size - well, not that affect these vans. Also get their breakdown cover, Green Flag. 608 was 6.5t gross. For us both driving the premium was about £180p.a. The breakdown cover is optional - think it was about £80ish at the time... Stayed with the CC since with our '91 Dethleffs as can't find better quotes so far, even with the CC membership fee...
    That was fully comp. with 9 months foreign use...

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Welcome to the forum :Smile:

IMO .. You would be better with comprehensive..

firstly, you won't save much, if anything at all by having third party.. secondly, some insurers load third party policies as they assume (rightly or wrongly) that you don't place much value on your vehicle.. so are less careful and therefore more likely to claim..

Try Comfort and Safeguard.. highly regarded .. also Frank Pickles brokers has had good reviews. http://www.frankpickles.co.uk/

5. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

Try performance direct I just done my vw on a classic policy very good rates i thought as I am not member of cc or ccc but did mention fun club!! You dont need any ncb if it qualfies as classic vehicle but not sure if it has tobe 20 or 25 yrs good luck

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi lots of ins co'S TO CHOOSE FROM :thumb:Worth mentioning on self builds to get an agreed value :thumb: if not they will try and pay you for a basic van if the worst happens :BigGrin:Agreed value takes all the guess work out of the assumed value which one assumes on yours is 2.5k. If you go for agreed value say 5k and they agree that then if it's a write off that's what they have to pay--a lot simpler than arguing later :Wink:
    It would also work on most m/hs :BigGrin::thumb:
    Terry