Insurance expires while we are in Europe (1 Viewer)

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
I am insured with Saga and my current insurance expires early in July.
Saga won't give me a renewal figure till 28 days befire the expiry date.
Sine we leave Britain Mid May, their renewal quote will arrive here while we are away.
Has anyone else face this dilemma? Is there a way round it - and a way of getting a valid insurance certificate so that we can drive home from France legally insured?

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
can get cover from another insurer to start 1 week before saga insurance expires

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the insurance is automatic renewing and is posted to your home address, and you intend accepting their quote, then ask a friend/neighbour/relative to forward the new certificate to you at a specific post office or camp site in the country you are in when its due.

if it doesnt auto renew then i reckon your stuffed:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Poste Restante

I renewed mine while in France..

I called NFU, paid the renewal premium by card and asked for the documents to be posted the the local post office where I picked them up.. you need your passport as proof of ID.. and there is a small charge .. a few euro

The letter is addressed:

Your Name
Poste Restante
and the address of the Post Office.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year before going away I renewed my insurance about 3 weeks early & found I couldn't renew my road tax online DVLA's data base wouldn't update the insurance until the expiry date so as far as they were concerned there was no insurance in force when tax renewal was due.
Insurance ran out on 20th June but was renewed on 2nd June, tax due 1st July not a problem just annoying renewed it at the Post Office.

OP
OP
strathspey

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
can get cover from another insurer to start 1 week before saga insurance expires

Unfortunately I won't have my 'Proof of no claims' untill the Saga renewal quote arrives at my home.

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
insurance

We were faced with the same thing last year and had to renew with a new company a month early as c&camping club would not renew early so lost a month, this year we are going away in May until July and tax is due end June but have looked on line and found if we go to main dvla office we can tax 2 months early so will do it end of April :Smile:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
We insure with Saga and are in Sicily. Insurance ran out 2 days ago.
Rang them and arranged the renewal and they would either send the cert through to UK home address or email it to me. Now that insurance can be verifired online, even Spain no longer insists on you carrying the documents with you so no great problem...
except that their email system was down yesterday!:Angry:
Just give them a ring and I don't think you will have a problem.::bigsmile:
Patrick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We were faced with the same thing last year and had to renew with a new company a month early as c&camping club would not renew early so lost a month, this year we are going away in May until July and tax is due end June but have looked on line and found if we go to main dvla office we can tax 2 months early so will do it end of April :Smile:

you can also do this at some post offices that deal with 'early' renewals....probably main post offices only. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back