insurance expires while in France (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our insurance expires when we are supposed to be in France. Any suggestions as to what to do. We have thought of staying on a campsite until my daughter sends it to us. It will go there as it is our nominated address bit can I have it sent to me by email and print it out. Will this valid over there?
We could delay our trip until we can get the originals if need be but would like to go before.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
others may know better but i'm sure all documents must be originals...not copies/.photocopies......unless the insurers are 'paperless', download and print your own certificate.(my last bike policy was this type)

to be 100% sure it may be best having it send to a campsite address or a local post office for collection....ID needed !

you can usually reinsure up to a month before it due.....start date will be same as the expiry date of the current insurance.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I don't know how far ahead your insurance expires or how long you will have be in France for prior to your renewal.

Have you spoken to your insurance company, you could possibly pay your renewal a little earlier than normal, or they could issue you with a cover note to cover the period you are away. I'm sure they will be happy to help you if they are retaining your business.

You could also have your daughter send the new certificate to you by DHL so you could receive it next day. .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
You could ask your insurance company if they would be prepared to extend the period of your current policy so that it expires at a time when you would not be out of the country each year (December or January perhaps). If they agreed you would pay them an agreed amount to extend the policy to the new renewal date and then you would be in possession of a Certificate of Insurance which would be current when away in France.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You could ask your insurance company if they would be prepared to extend the period of your current policy so that it expires at a time when you would not be out of the country each year (December or January perhaps). If they agreed you would pay them an agreed amount to extend the policy to the new renewal date and then you would be in possession of a Certificate of Insurance which would be current when away in France.
thats always a possibilty....due to a clerical error my insurance is for 17 months. :Eeek:

checked and confirmed its all OK and above board.

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Trish-n-Tez, I've just renewed ours a month early for exactly that reason.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Our insurance expires when we are supposed to be in France. Any suggestions as to what to do. We have thought of staying on a campsite until my daughter sends it to us. It will go there as it is our nominated address bit can I have it sent to me by email and print it out. Will this valid over there?
We could delay our trip until we can get the originals if need be but would like to go before.

Do you have recurring payment on DD if so it should be renewed automatically

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Do you have recurring payment on DD if so it should be renewed automatically

Yes I do have a recurring policy but the documents will be sent sent to my daughter. I have phoned comfort today and they said they don't extend policies but that email policies will be valid. So thats sorted. Just have to ring them 30 days before to get it sent to my email address as this is not yet setup on my account.
Thanks people for the help.

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
Hi somebody i know had the same problem and they were with the camping and caravan club and they rang carefree and the lady cancelled there policy and started a new one at no extra cost so they had there docs to come to Spain for the winter ::bigsmile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Yes I do have a recurring policy but the documents will be sent sent to my daughter. I have phoned comfort today and they said they don't extend policies but that email policies will be valid. So thats sorted. Just have to ring them 30 days before to get it sent to my email address as this is not yet setup on my account.
Thanks people for the help.

I am also with Comfort. I know they will send the certificate in a file that you can get printed out on a Laser Printer and it is legal. An injet copy is not legal.

John

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I am also with Comfort. I know they will send the certificate in a file that you can get printed out on a Laser Printer and it is legal. An injet copy is not legal.

John

Thanks John I rang them and they said that email printed copy is now legal but I didnt realise that it was only on laser, I have an inkjet printer but not a laser, do you know where I can get it done when we are out in France?
Perhaps an internet cafe because I probably wont have internet there except on my phone if I can get a sim card while we are there but my phone wont send it to the printer I dont think even though its a wireless printer, I will have to find that out?

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Just out of interest why is there a difference between inkjet and laser in terms of legality?

not sure i understand why that would be, surely a printer is a printer as long as the quality is good enough?

David

Edit: the Government web site says: "These are usually a printed or laser-printed document, or a plastic credit card style document.
Insurance certificates downloaded directly from the internet by the policy holder are acceptable from 30 April 2010 (this applies to GB only). Fax copies are also acceptable." This says to me that any printer will do, not only laser. If they accept fax they cannot be that fussy ;)

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
you can renew early as you like but will have to pay now ??? then get them sent to you as they must be orriganals not copys

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I got emailed insurance docs from Adrian Flux when I was with them. I didnt have a laserjet printer and the docs were fine. There isnt much thats illegal when it comes to emailed and printed docs these days.
Jim

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We had the same problem so I cancelled the one I had with Safeguard and explained to them the reason, Then re- insured again with them from a date we was still in the UK, Then we got the new original doc's to take with us to Spain, I also got a refund of one months old insurance premium when I sent back my old cover note, doing this solved the prob for this year a hopefully the years to follow as it now due one month earlier. Pete :thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
One of our major clients is Aviva and we worked with them on their eDocument system and their view was that inkjets were just as valid as laser printers post April 2010 this year.

Previously, you only got away with laser prints because it was not legal at all to print your own, but if it was on laser print it was assumed it was official. This was so that these so called internet only insurers could actually get their customers to break the law on their behalf.

No home printed insurance certificates were legal before April 2010. However many companies flouted this law by hoodwinking their own customers :Sad:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
do you know where I can get it done when we are out in France?

Hi

I would try the local library, usually no charge, and a secure network.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back