Insurance dilemma

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by milliethehymer, Feb 22, 2016.

1. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

We are due to collect new MH in March so I've been looking to sort the insurance out.

I now find myself with a difficult decision and wonder if anyone has any thoughts...

Insurer "A" want a premium that is almost twice insurer "B", but don't want a tracker and will give unlimited windscreen cover. Also policy (ex windscreen) has a £500 excess.

Insurer B are a lot cheaper, and have only a £200 excess. However they require a tracker, and the windscreen cover is limited to £3,000 any one claim.

The MH in question is a Hymer MLI 580 and I don't know whether £3,000 would be enough for a new windscreen.

A tracker will have a year one and ongoing support costs, but given the difference in premium (£400) I think it would be viable to have a tracker fitted.

If I do fit a tracker, insurer A only take £75 off the premium so I wouldn't bother.

I think typing this has helped my mind decide I favour the cheaper quote (with Aviva) but it's just the windscreen bit that bothers me.

Any thoughts?

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I often find I answer my own questions when posting on here :)

I would hope £3000 would easily cover a new screen, we had one on a Pilote that cost £2400 inc VAT

So if you only real worry left was windscreen cancel that fear, at worst you would have to find any extra, so even if it is £3200 it is only £200 from you and that presumes you break it (y)

It is not as though you are looking to use an unknown insurer, Aviva are a big enough name

3. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Thanks @DavidG58 , helpful thought. Of course, with the windscreen I'd only be looking at the difference between £3k and the actual cost, not the whole thing - and that puts a different perspective on things.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind, especially reassured knowing the cost of a Pilote screen so I'd guess a Hymer will be in the same ball park (y)

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Before you do anything else check break down cover will rescue your weight of van and are you covered on the continent. (y)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

I would seriously consider a tracker for your van it's just an extra peace of mind even if you don't benefit from insurance, as you are from W Yorks are you getting it from Huddersfield if so you need to speak to Malcolm he can fit them a little cheaper then dealer.

If you want to pm me I can give you more info.

Liz

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

You might consider joining ADAC .. Probably save yourself a load of cash and get great cover in Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Thanks all for your replies.

I checked out the breakdown cover that I asked to be included, and it's fine for the size of the van.

It's a bit annoying as I have cover with the bank account for breakdown and recovery but it's limited to vehicles of 7 m and 3.5 tonne. The MH is 6.9 m, and in standard guise gas a GVW of 3.5 tonne - however we've had it related to 3.85 tonne for better payload, so falls outside the criteria despite being (unless fully loaded) the same van..

@Hyacythn 1 , thanks for the offer . We're actually getting it from Lowdhams in Notts so I'll get them to sort it. I also agree with your peace of mind comment.

Slightly annoyed as I asked about a tracker when we ordered the thing, and was assured nobody would require one and the alarm I was having fitted would suffice. So I suspect I'll end up paying a bit more as the fitters will have to come back.

Still, no pockets in a shroud ...

8. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

There is a post on the Knaus owners site where the windscreen cost £4,750 so it may be worthwhile getting a quote to see how much before you buy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

"It's a bit annoying as I have cover with the bank account for breakdown and recovery but it's limited to vehicles of 7 m and 3.5 tonne. The MH is 6.9 m, and in standard guise gas a GVW of 3.5 tonne - however we've had it related to 3.85 tonne for better payload, so falls outside the criteria despite being (unless fully loaded) the same van.."

Our 'van is a 3500kgs van that has been uprated to 3650kgs.

The original plate is under the bonnet. The 'new' plate isn't there and I wouldn't be flashing it at a breakdown man if needed.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Try insurer C to see if there's a better deal

• Like Like x 1
  11. nomadic

nomadic Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. MikeD

MikeD Funster

If you do have a claim with Aviva - you will have a nightmare sorting it out with them.

13. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

You reckon? They are normally pretty good IMHO for cars /commercial. If their MH division really that bad?

14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member