Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
How much would you be prepared to pay out for repairs too your mh-rv before you would claim from your insurance company, risking the loss of your no claims.

I was thinking in terms of awnings, gas bottles, personel items, bumps, scrapes and dents etc. Of what value is it having these bits and pieces insured if nobody claims on them.

Could insurance company's drop these things and reduce premiums.

Jim
:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How much would you be prepared to pay out for repairs too your mh-rv before you would claim from your insurance company, risking the loss of your no claims.

I was thinking in terms of awnings, gas bottles, personel items, bumps, scrapes and dents etc. Of what value is it having these bits and pieces insured if nobody claims on them.

Could insurance company's drop these things and reduce premiums.

Jim

I'd have thought the policy excess already took care of this.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I'd have thought the policy excess already took care of this.

Does that mean that you would not be prepared to pay over the policy excess and be happy to lose your no claims bonus ?

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sootymobile

Free Member
Jan 14, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Don't know
Exp
3 years
sootymobile Had M/H 3 years

We have had a motor home for over three (3) years we origanaly insured it with a well known insurence Club at a cost of £400-00 a year. We went to spain for three months in January 08, where I bumped the back end driveing into a camping space. We then parked up in Barcelona and we were broken-into. when I was reversing into our road at home to park the motor home I went into the side of a neibours car we claimed for all this, and when it came time to renew our insurence again the " Club" wanted 2,000.00 +, we are now insured with Saga. Moral Don't claim, unless a very big one, and you dont need to drive a motor home.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have had a motor home for over three (3) years we origanaly insured it with a well known insurence Club at a cost of £400-00 a year. We went to spain for three months in January 08, where I bumped the back end driveing into a camping space. We then parked up in Barcelona and we were broken-into. when I was reversing into our road at home to park the motor home I went into the side of a neibours car we claimed for all this, and when it came time to renew our insurence again the " Club" wanted 2,000.00 +, we are now insured with Saga. Moral Don't claim, unless a very big one, and you dont need to drive a motor home.

Hi Sooty, thats some hike. Was your no claims bonus reinstated when you moved insurers.

The reason that I brought this topic up is that as far as I am aware a no claims bonus is not a legal or even an insurance industry law/rule.

Any insurance company can give you any amount of no claims bonus that they wish.

So lets say they really want your business they can give you maximum no claims even if you have only been driving without a claim for one year.

This no claims bonus malarkey was set up when I was a lad, for good and valid reasons. Its as bent as a nine bob note these days.

Jim

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hmmm.....can't agree with you on that.

I had a collision with a neighbours 4x4 in my car a few years ago. All quite embarassing really as I was at fault. At least the guy was OK about everything. He just had a scrape on his bumper whereas my car was written off!

My insurance settled with me at a price of more than I could have sold the car for privately, and when I bought another car (similar spec) the premium remained the same.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I dont know about cars because June deals with the motor insurance, however, just look at the disparity in premium costs between mm-rv Insurers. Their enormous and theres no logic to it.
Jim

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
That depends upon what you would call a small amount. Everythings a small amount and all of these small amounts soon end up being a decent wedge o dosh.

Why dont insurance company's set out a sensible and transparant set of premiums. Answer: Because they just love ripping the back out of your wallet.

Whenever you contact an insurance company for a quote it a game of cat and mouse too see who can hold out for the most or least dosh.

What risk does any insurance company carry when they charge the premiums that they do, Answer: None

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back