Insurance backed warranties, why is nothing ever covered???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Encantador, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Or at least anything I seem to have to claim for.

My MH came with a 3 year insurance backed warranty included.

Just before my first trip to France at the end of June I tried the air-con in the cab and it wasn`t working. Took it to have it re-gassed and they found a leak in a metal pipe that runs from the front of the radiator to a compressor. Total cost £230.

No problem I thought, warranty booklet says "All electrical and mechanical components fitted as part of the manufacturers original specification" are covered. Looked through exclusions and nothing about air-con or pipes, but although it gives examples such as wiper blades, tyres, hoses, clutch facings etc, it does say that it is not a comprehensive list.

So I telephone, explain the problem and the guy says "Ah, sorry, we don`t cover pipes". When I pushed him, he said, well if it is sort of `welded` on we would cover it. Had the job done and the garage rang them also, had a discussion with their technicion but they still wouldn`t have it. They said, if the compressor had gone, that would be covered, the garage said but what is a compressor other than a bunch of pipes welded together. Still no joy.

Oh well, it`s what I have come to expect, at least it was included in the deal and I didn`t have to pay for it.

Worst part is the weather in France was so shite we never even turned the air-con on.

Steve

2. acting_strange

acting_strange

i'm sorry to say that all of these things are just a con....like PPI...

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Same problem, the instrument cluster, i.e. temp gauge, the temp gauge is not classed as part of the cooling, or electrical, or management system. When speaking to my garage, they said that they don’t bother with insurance companies anymore as very little that can go wrong is covered, most of the stuff covered never goes wrong...

4. tofo

tofo Funster

when my engine self destucted

we had been given a warrenty by the dealer

it covered everything yea right

they paid £1000inc vat towards a new engine

the dealer said we gave a warrenty with the van

so i ended up with the main bill plus £1000 insurance

a little help but if i am asked do you want insurance

i just say reduce it by the premium you pay

same as in shops

when the sales assistant says want insurance

no is the answer

to many get outs :thumb:​

5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I had one of these warranties, supplied by the dealer on my used motorhome and out in France my gearbox pump failed (Merc. Sprintshift). Got back home and looking through the policy, it said a max. of £500 could be claimed for any mechanical repair.

I sent the receipt off and got a cheque for £500. by return.

So they aren't all a con.

Pete:Cool:

6. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Have to say the same, had a new Electrobloc, and a new rear suspension unit, value of the warranty apparently £495.00.

Cost of replacement parts, so far, well in excess, well pleased, and still another years cover, but had I had to pay for it, well I doubt I would have!!

7. Griffs

Griffs Funster

ins

We purchased a motorhome from a well established company in the Midlands with an insurance six months warranty, two weeks left on the warranty I phoned the ins company to say the engine was loosing a very small amount of water over a week long driving, they said to take it to a garage to get it tested, the garage said the only place they were able to see was near the water pump .

the ins company paid for all of the work plus a new pump.