Dec 4, 2009
chester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years
Hi Everyone
Am quite new to motorhoming and planning trip to France for the first time with wife and kid's, getting quotes of around £250 for continental cover for 10 days.
Is this about right or is there any better options

Thanks for your help.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds OTT I take it are you talking about Breakdown cover & Medical cover.

Just re-insured our van with comfort breakdown cover was £57 for 365 days, Medical cover is free covered by our Bank (Lloyds TSB Platinum Plus account).

You can get annual breakdown cover for around £80, if your van is Fiat they do RAC cover for £79 the German ADAC iis about the same price. Plenty of web based travel insurers should be able to get medical cover £7-10 a person.

A good starting point is Martin Lewis's site :- Link Removed

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I gave up buying insurance 30 years ago ; french medical cover is quite expensive , but all emergency tratment is free ! just go straight to urgence at the hospital [take EHIC card ! ]
if the vehicle breaks down you are going to have to pay for repairs wherever you are , france is no worse than uk

you have 3rd party insurance anyway on the vehicle , whether you have to pay extra to get that insurance extended to comp depends on the insurance company

so it all depends what you mean by continental cover!

if you have to get towed it depends on the size of vehicle , on motorways it is restricted by law , possibly wouldn't cost you more than you would pay for insurance

of course , if you don't know where the bonnet pull is , maybe insurance is a good idea !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TimG

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Minehead, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
We always use Endsleigh Insurance. They are very cheap and give you good medical cover. Find them on the net. Also tell them you are in a motohome and you get a discount for not having any baggage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I gave up buying insurance 30 years ago ; french medical cover is quite expensive , but all emergency tratment is free ! just go straight to urgence at the hospital [take EHIC card ! ]
if the vehicle breaks down you are going to have to pay for repairs wherever you are , france is no worse than uk

you have 3rd party insurance anyway on the vehicle , whether you have to pay extra to get that insurance extended to comp depends on the insurance company

so it all depends what you mean by continental cover!

if you have to get towed it depends on the size of vehicle , on motorways it is restricted by law , possibly wouldn't cost you more than you would pay for insurance

of course , if you don't know where the bonnet pull is , maybe insurance is a good idea !

Emergency treatment may be free if you are in hospital after say an accident you have to pay about 30% of the cost your EHIC card will not cover it so you could end up with a bill for a few grand. Also what if you need an Air Ambulance home? They aren't cheap.

Some info here:- http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-health/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=197

If you breakdown on the Autoroute you have to be recovered by their service & will be charged but your breakdown cover will refund you.

About 4 years ago I had a car & caravan repatriated (couldn't get the part for the car locally) so for my £70 breakdown cover I had a hire car, hotels paid for & the car and caravan taken back to UK. Fine to not have if you can afford to spend a couple grand if you breakdown. Another incident some years ago had parts for a caravan chassis flown out cost me £70 for the bits I saw the shipping bill it was few hundred quid.

OP
OP
S

sloth

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
chester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years
Thank's everyone for all your usefull tip's and advice, I know where to look now what a plantpot eh:Doh:
Will let you know how i get on
Thank's again
Al:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back