insulation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lee52, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lee52

lee52 Funster

is it that important to have the floor of my mh insulated it is a wood floor anyways

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

that all depends how you use or plan to use your van. in temperatures from -2 to plus 30 you wont get the benefit of heat insulation

however the sound deadening properties of insulating the steel floor of a panel van may make it worthwhile. I have converted several vans over the years and only insulated the floor in the last 2. mind you, I also switched from fibreglass wool to celotex type insulation in the walls and roof too. much better, but i doubt the floor had much of a benefit overall

3. lee52

lee52 Funster

its a selfbuild ex bus so has a 3/4in wood anyways then on top of that theres a 1 1/2 in of insulation and then nasty laminate floor just seems a vast ovekill and the floor is 3 foot in the air so i was thinking surely the standard 3/4 in wood floor with some nice lino/carpet would be more than enough

4. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Basically, no. Heat rises.

Wood is quite insulating anyway, so won't get too cold in itself. If you want to spend money on insulation, you'd be better off insulating the ceiling.

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if its still serviceable, theres no point ripping it out. however you wont miss it too much if you do unless you plan camping in the snow

6. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Snow is actually quite a good insulator. It is cold winds you have to worry about. If you've got a goodly ground clearance, a good wind and a completely non insulated metal floor, it is probably the only time you'll need decent floor insulation.

7. lee52

lee52 Funster

thanks for the replies guys i was thinking the wood is a good insulator and the rest of the van is fully insulated basically i am ripping up the laminate flooring as its knackered badly fitted etc.. and just dead weight with the insulation gone i will gain nearly 2 in of head height. and gonna cover the existing wood flooring with lino in the livin/kitchen area carpet in the end bedroom and cab area