Insulation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hussar, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Hussar

Hussar Read Only Funster

OK, peeps,
    Forgive what is probably a "basic" question. What are the disadvantages/advantages of silverscreen insulated covers or other generic type items?
    Are they really worth it?
    :Cool:

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Advantages: they work, others don't (well, not to keep the van warm and minimise condensation anyway).

Disadvantages: you have to get out and put them on, but it's little trouble.
    I probably would not leave the van in Liverpool with them fitted!

Opinion: would not be without them - a vital accessory for winter touring.

Philip

3. TonyIsh UK

TonyIsh UK Read Only Funster

I use both,

External screens are a lot warmer than the internal ones and stop condensation. Its worth while getting ones that drop lower than the windscreen and cover the front vent. The vent can be a cause of draught in windy weather even if closed from the cab side

(Also take a look under the door pockets, there may be a number of venting holes that can make the cab cold (Earlier Fiats, not sure about later models)

Internal screens are great for a quick sealing from sun ect, OK in the summer. A cheaper and satisfactory alternative is insulating silver bubble wrap from DIY stores.

Rgds

4. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

We couldn't believe the difference less than half an inch of insulation made to heat retention between the habitation/Cab and totally eliminating early morning condensation problems. Genuine Silver Screen external covers are worth every penny! :thumb:

5. Hussar

Hussar Read Only Funster

Thanks guys,
    Very quick response indeed. I have just bought a 94 plate Auto trail Apache based on a VW transporter chassis. I pick it up in just over a week. Looking at what "extras" would be nice to have and those that are deemed essential.:Smile:

6. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Since nobody else seems to have said it.

Welocme to FUN !!!!

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

externals are designed to keep heat in...winter use mainly

they all do the same thing but some are higher quality and do it better than others

internals are designed to reflect the suns rays with very little thermal properties...summer use mainly.

as above...

internals can and do cause condensation.

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hiya welcome to the site.
    We've got a paragon set and a copy set. We didn't realize we had the copy set when we bought the MH they were in the garage , hiding under the Fiamma zip store. So once we'd decided to buy the MH we ordered some proper ones from Paragon Cleckheaton.
    The original paragon ones are better made and fit more snuggly. They also have a thermal mesh insert on the fold down bit , so you can see out , but still keep warm through the day. It stops the condensation forming when you fold the flap down on a cold day too.
    The copy ones don't. Having said that, if we'd have realized we'd got the copy set already we wouldn't have bought the paragon ones. The copy ones work very well too.
    Ralph uses the copy ones if hes working away, for work. We use the paragon ones for weekends away and any future holidays.
    Weve got the internal ones , which came with the MH . I dont know if we'd need to use these, if we took one of the other sets. i think it would be use 1 or the other.
    Bev