Insulation (1 Viewer)

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
OK, peeps,
Forgive what is probably a "basic" question. What are the disadvantages/advantages of silverscreen insulated covers or other generic type items?
Are they really worth it?
:Cool:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
OK, peeps,
Forgive what is probably a "basic" question. What are the disadvantages/advantages of silverscreen insulated covers or other generic type items?
Are they really worth it?
:Cool:

Advantages: they work, others don't (well, not to keep the van warm and minimise condensation anyway).

Disadvantages: you have to get out and put them on, but it's little trouble.
I probably would not leave the van in Liverpool with them fitted!

Opinion: would not be without them - a vital accessory for winter touring.

Philip

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I use both,

External screens are a lot warmer than the internal ones and stop condensation. Its worth while getting ones that drop lower than the windscreen and cover the front vent. The vent can be a cause of draught in windy weather even if closed from the cab side

(Also take a look under the door pockets, there may be a number of venting holes that can make the cab cold (Earlier Fiats, not sure about later models)

Internal screens are great for a quick sealing from sun ect, OK in the summer. A cheaper and satisfactory alternative is insulating silver bubble wrap from DIY stores.

Rgds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
We couldn't believe the difference less than half an inch of insulation made to heat retention between the habitation/Cab and totally eliminating early morning condensation problems. Genuine Silver Screen external covers are worth every penny! :thumb:

OP
OP
Hussar

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Thanks guys,
Very quick response indeed. I have just bought a 94 plate Auto trail Apache based on a VW transporter chassis. I pick it up in just over a week. Looking at what "extras" would be nice to have and those that are deemed essential.:Smile:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Since nobody else seems to have said it.

Welocme to FUN !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
externals are designed to keep heat in...winter use mainly

they all do the same thing but some are higher quality and do it better than others

internals are designed to reflect the suns rays with very little thermal properties...summer use mainly.

as above...

internals can and do cause condensation.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya welcome to the site.
We've got a paragon set and a copy set. We didn't realize we had the copy set when we bought the MH they were in the garage , hiding under the Fiamma zip store. So once we'd decided to buy the MH we ordered some proper ones from Paragon Cleckheaton.
The original paragon ones are better made and fit more snuggly. They also have a thermal mesh insert on the fold down bit , so you can see out , but still keep warm through the day. It stops the condensation forming when you fold the flap down on a cold day too.
The copy ones don't. Having said that, if we'd have realized we'd got the copy set already we wouldn't have bought the paragon ones. The copy ones work very well too.
Ralph uses the copy ones if hes working away, for work. We use the paragon ones for weekends away and any future holidays.
Weve got the internal ones , which came with the MH . I dont know if we'd need to use these, if we took one of the other sets. i think it would be use 1 or the other.
Bev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back