insulation (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi everyone, i dont know if this has been discussed before but would someone know the best way or have you insulated the base of a bed above the garage, our hymer has a slatted base and as the wife uses it she complains of draughts checked all the door seals ect so need to put something on the base to keep her happy, any advice would be appreciated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doubt if it's anything to do with draught just air temperature difference between back & front of the van. Hymers often had the heat distribution set up so the rear of the van was cooler. Out last van a 2008 Tramp with French bed was very cold in the rear I cured it by fitting additional heating vent under the bed. Current van is nice and warm in the rear.

I recently used some DODO Liner to insulate the top of the cab above the screen.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You could always put a duvet under the bed to insulate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming it has a similar setup to our 2003 Star-Line, there will be a vent in the garage door which is concealed when looking from outside. It might be the source of air movement but I would have thought this unlikely. The vent should not be blocked of course. When we bought ours, the previous owner had fitted a large sheet of dimpled foam on top of the bed slats under the mattresses; we have left it in place and this might be a solution for you.
If you have the heating running, it will heat the garage anyway so cold draughts should not be felt.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I bought some foil backed bubble wrap insulation from b&q only £8 one roll did the job and it's a bit warmer now :)

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
My wife chose the bed with the Truma underneath !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The 'French' bed in our Pilote is above the large rear locker rather than it being a garage per se.

Couple of years ago on a fishing holiday I slept alone as Pete was bivvied on the bankside of the lake and ditto whilst he also night fished. NP with that except it was B cold and I soon discovered with only me in the bed there was a gale blowing not through the slats particularly, but around the outer 'wall' side of the mattress and the end-wall top of it. I thought I was batty and imagining it at first, as again our 'garage' is heated but daughter confirmed I hadn't lost it. I expect it's a similar reason.

We have throws on the seating, thin but fleecy synthetic things and I landed up stuffing 3 of them between the mattress and the walls. Cosy! Lovely sleeps after that!

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We have the same problem our French bed sits above the rear locker that has the gas locker in the centre. This has ventilation in the bottom which is making the edge, especially the outer edge of the bed really cold. I have been thinking of what could be done and am grateful for this thread. Will putting anything under the mattress stop the mattress from being aired?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will putting anything under the mattress stop the mattress from being aired?

yes it will..
the space beneath the mattress shouldn't be blocked or filled with insulation..
if you block up you will get a damp mattress which will eventually rot .. happened in my RV.. had to fit slats to keep the mattress aired

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back