Insulate or not? (2 Viewers)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, we have been looking around as we are thinking of changing our motorhome. Acouple of the ones we have looked at gave us some ideas for when we get our new unit. One of those was when we opened the high level cupboards we foumd that the previous owner had installed the silver bubble wrap insulation in all the cupboards and also in most of the low level areas. I think it looks like a good idea but are there any negative points in doing this?

Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
IMO not a good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Why would someone do that, Ive never had a problem in my cupboards:doh:

To be fair, it only manifests itself when it is really cold and you haven't been diligent in ventilating the van from time to time.
You get condensation in the corner of the wall and roof joint due to lack of ventilation and the moist air contacting the cold surface.
We don't really get it in our van because all the high level lockers don't touch the ceiling. It was more prevalent in our last van.
The fix is not to stick insulation on but simply leave the lockers open for periods to circulate the air. Or you could stop breathing and cooking!!

As said before, this is really only a winter problem for occupied vans.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
There was a problem with condensation in some of our cupboards and lockers so I lined them with polystyrene-backed lining paper, just a few inches down from the ceiling join.
Applied with strong wallpaper adhesive, it was a quick and easy job.

No problems since (y)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
To be fair, it only manifests itself when it is really cold and you haven't been diligent in ventilating the van from time to time.
You get condensation in the corner of the wall and roof joint due to lack of ventilation and the moist air contacting the cold surface.
We don't really get it in our van because all the high level lockers don't touch the ceiling. It was more prevalent in our last van.
The fix is not to stick insulation on but simply leave the lockers open for periods to circulate the air. Or you could stop breathing and cooking!!

As said before, this is really only a winter problem for occupied vans.

Ah I see, as I have a Hymer I do not have that problem:whistle2:;)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
That thin polystyrene backed wallpaper definitely does do the trick.. I used it an old cold bathroom where I used to live.. Never had any more condensation.. But don't think I would bother in a motorhome...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There was a problem with condensation in some of our cupboards and lockers so I lined them with polystyrene-backed lining paper, just a few inches down from the ceiling join.
Applied with strong wallpaper adhesive, it was a quick and easy job.

No problems since (y)
Now that's the stuff to use, had a type two transporter and we lined the roof with that and it worked brilliantly. (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Now that's the stuff to use, had a type two transporter and we lined the roof with that and it worked brilliantly. (y)
Just a thought, make sure the adhesive you use is compatible with the polystyrene and doesn't melt it ...... What me? Don't be silly I wouldn't do something so stupid :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back