Installing Refillable LPG bottles in a Hymer B644 (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is where I fitted mine on my B644. I used a right angle connection all supplied by Gas It, not had any problems and I have two 11Kg cylinders in the locker, no pipes in the hab area all in the locker.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 57

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have 2 Alugas bottles in our Hymer 680 fitted by Peter Hambilton. He fitted the filler onto the skirt and we've had no problems at all. We'll also be at Peterborough with the HCI rally.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to this disaster waiting to happen that many professional installers seem to advocate including van Bitz
Having seen one fitted like that where the hose had been rubbing when the door has been opened & closed and the hose was in a dangerous state. To me it does not make sense to fit a high pressure gas into a panel that is constantly being moved. Why do it there are plenty of other places to fit it that are far safer, any installer that made such a suggestion I would run a mile from, wouldn't want then doing anything on my van.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Having seen one fitted like that where the hose had been rubbing when the door has been opened & closed and the hose was in a dangerous state. To me it does not make sense to fit a high pressure gas into a panel that is constantly being moved. Why do it there are plenty of other places to fit it that are far safer, any installer that made such a suggestion I would run a mile from, wouldn't want then doing anything on my van.

In that case you have been looking at either a poor installation probably home grown or a complete cowboy job, either way we're only dealing with your opinion here. Professionally installed by competent staff and with allowance for the OCCASIONAL opening of the door and chafe free pipework then fitting to a door is NOT a disaster waiting to happen.

I have seen fillers fitted to skirts with poor if not totally inadequate reinforcement used where pipe movement is far more likely than fitting to a door and let us not loose sight of the OP author (scotjimland) who is certainly nobody's fool and wouldn't carry out or allowed to be carried out a poor job.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ooh, I'm loving this thread.

All these photos from Hymer owners, and none of the anti Hymer bashers in sight. :LOL:
They are only jealous & would be a bit outnumbered on this thread, you could just feel sorry for them as they haven't aspired to a Hymer:D
The grey aluminium skirt seems to be favourite Jim. (y) Have you made any decisions on filler positioning yet?
Best place I don't like unnecessary holes in the main bodywork.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you decide to go for the external option I have a 70mm hole saw and battery drill I could bring to Peterborough

Chris

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In that case you have been looking at either a poor installation probably home grown or a complete cowboy job, either way we're only dealing with your opinion here. Professionally installed by competent staff and with allowance for the OCCASIONAL opening of the door and chafe free pipework then fitting to a door is NOT a disaster waiting to happen.

I have seen fillers fitted to skirts with poor if not totally inadequate reinforcement used where pipe movement is far more likely than fitting to a door and let us not loose sight of the OP author (scotjimland) who is certainly nobody's fool and wouldn't carry out or allowed to be carried out a poor job.
My opinion is the same as Lenny! I believe that Gaslow themselves advise NOT to fit the filler in the door and I'd rather go by that (at least they did when we got ours).

Saying that this is okay as the door would only occasionally be opened is misleading IMV ... when filling you need to turn off your gas bottles and to do this you obviously have to open and afterwards open the door again to turn them back on. Some people travel with the gas on all the time and others travel with the gas turned off and only turn it on once they are going to use it ... but they should ALL turn the bottles off when filling ...

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
In that case you have been looking at either a poor installation probably home grown or a complete cowboy job, either way we're only dealing with your opinion here. Professionally installed by competent staff and with allowance for the OCCASIONAL opening of the door and chafe free pipework then fitting to a door is NOT aGas low disaster waiting to happen.

All i can say is if you check out gaslow fitting it is not advisable to fit on the door.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
This is how mine was fitted 4 years ago. I have NEVER been questioned in a garage in UK or abroad when filling up as I have to open the door.
It's only maybe a problem as you can buy a pipe that screws onto the filler point to connect another gas bottle. Very useful in Morocco as lpg garages very rare there. So I had to leave my locker door open, just resting.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is how mine was fitted 4 years ago. I have NEVER been questioned in a garage in UK or abroad when filling up as I have to open the door.
It's only maybe a problem as you can buy a pipe that screws onto the filler point to connect another gas bottle. Very useful in Morocco as lpg garages very rare there. So I had to leave my locker door open, just resting.
Yes that's exactly what I've got, had a intermache woman come out and fill it for me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How do you fill up with these square fillers, do you have to screw the nozzle in or what , can't see how you can put the filler in it.
I was thinking the same !

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The filler point is round.
Ok for uk, but carry 3 adapters for abroad.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The square is just a cover to keep the dirt out. The round filler is underneath.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've just had mine fitted and we concluded that the only place we could fit it was in the door itself as I don't have the large skirt as per the Hymer.

If you fitted yours close to the hinge that would offer plenty of support and of course once fitted there really should be less need to open the door.

View attachment 59112

This looks scarey, as it looks like the pipe is being stretched.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The square is just a cover to keep the dirt out. The round filler is underneath.
No that's what you and I have ,I'm talking about the small square ones in the skirt

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
No that's what you and I have ,I'm talking about the small square ones in the skirt

We screw an adapter into the fitting and attach the pump to the adapter. We have 4 different adapters that we can use throughout Europe depending on the pump.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The filler fitting instructions specifically state;
'Do not fit the filling point in a door.'

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We screw an adapter into the fitting and attach the pump to the adapter. We have 4 different adapters that we can use throughout Europe depending on the pump.
Ditto here too regarding the square type filler, although we don't have the latest Euro adapter.......yet.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last question ..

I think I'll fit just ONE 11kg bottle and keep the 13 kg Calor as a reserve.. and should the need ever arise allows using a foreign bottle and probably just have the in -locker fill point..

so.. Gaslow, GasIt. or Alugas ?

GasIt seem to be the cheapest..
Alugas are the lightest but I think the most expensive..

pros and cons of each manufacturer ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
New Gaslow are now all R67 jobbies so not comparable to Gasit. I would look for second hand.

OR Hamilton gas are way cheapest on R67
Broken Link Removed

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How do you fill up with these square fillers, do you have to screw the nozzle in or what , can't see how you can put the filler in it.
image.jpg

These adaptors screw into the small square type filler, under the flap is threaded to accept the adaptors in the photo,the one on the right is used in the UK and the middle one is used in France.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As the R67 requirement seems to apply only to vehicles which use the gas for propulsion NOT domestic purposes, I'm not convinced there really IS a need to go to the extent of getting these more expensive R67 bottles?

I'd go for Gasit which I understand are the same as the original Gaslow bottles.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We had a 1999 Hymer 584, fitted one gaslow 11kg bottle, fitted filler to the immediate left of door opening, see picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 35

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread