Installing extra battery (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I want to install an extra leasure battery so we have peace of mind that the deisel heating wont pack up.
The easiest place to install is in an underseat locker were the battery charger and (what I assume is) the split charge relay. What is the correct way to wire it. ?
Directly to the existing battery or can I wire it to the relay and or the charger ??
Any other advise etc appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I want to install an extra leasure battery so we have peace of mind that the deisel heating wont pack up.
The easiest place to install is in an underseat locker were the battery charger and (what I assume is) the split charge relay. What is the correct way to wire it. ?
Directly to the existing battery or can I wire it to the relay and or the charger ??

My first thought is -- battery gives off hydrogen, relay gives off sparks -- could get interesting.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
when you find a suitable Place, positive to positive and negative to negative with an in line fuse is how I done mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Thats where the battery is in a Landy Defender - mind you could be said there is a bit more ventilation in a Landy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
regarding Brians reply....if your new battery has a breather nipple then push on a short length of pipe and exit through a small hole in the floor to the outside, drill the hole JUST big enough for the pipe and silicon sealer will stop water ingress.

in addition to pauls reply.....fuses....put a fuse at BOTH ends of the positive wire.
if the pos wire touchs earth anywhere in between the batteries then BOTH ends of the link wire will short to earth...if only one fuse is fitted it will blow BUT the other end is still connected to the other unfused battery and earth ....result......fire. :whatthe:

mine has the original 110ah under the passenger seat and two additional 110ah batteries under the dinnete seat.

the two batteries MUST be connected pos to pos...neg to neg to remain at 12v but double the amp hour rating...mine are 12v 330ah...3 x 110ah batteries.
i used 50amp cable to interconnect them.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Hello IPS
Ralph has done this for the same reason too.

Hes bought a sealed leisure battery (no fumes ) and put a fuse on it.
All the batteries are in our MH .
I presumed if they are sealed and meant for inside they wouldn't give off fumes?
We've one under the front seat. I presume thats for the engine:blonde2:
We had one in the under seat locker, for the habitation bit, and now have two under there.
And He's still not got round to putting the solar panel on the roof yet, (too busy work wise, and too cold for the sikaflex)
Once thats done , i think the diesel heating wont have any negatives.
Bev

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Bev - has your Mizar got a battery rack fitted underneath the van ?
Although mine has the battery fitted under the dinette seat, with room for another, it also has a empty battery carrier on the passenger side directly under the dinette. :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We haven't got a battery rack under the van. From what Ive gathered off Ralph, i may be totally wrong:Doh:.
We have a battery in a drop in floor box ? Is that the same thing? We've also got one under the side seat (Dinette)
The one under the front seat isn't the engine one its another leisure one BTW:Doh:
I just phoned him to check and hes trying to lay bricks at a freezing power station over the Humber Bridge and didn't have much patience with me, sat here drinking coffee on MHF:RollEyes:::bigsmile:
Bev

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
My engine battery is in the floor under the passenger side, with the leisure battery in the dinette. The under chassis battery tray must be a thowback to a previous design.:RollEyes:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks you all....for the record my cab battery is under the drivers seat and the leasure battery under the passenger seat so cant see a problem with an additional one being in the locker. What size cable and what size fuses 2 connect em bearing in mind that it will be a 2-3 meter run of cable to connect em ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i used 50amp cable and a pair of 30amp fuses but the run length on mine is only 1 mtr.

2>3mtrs will need thicker wire....maybe 70amp wire to reduce volt drop.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, if you have a welding supply shop near you get the cable from there, it is usually a lot cheaper than places like Halfrauds etc, sven if they have it! and you can get just the length you want- they sell it by the metre.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks you all, will do a feasability study this weekend ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back