Installing Battery Master (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2016 - very much newbies
Hi, I would appreciate a little guidance to ensure I'm not about to do something daft with our van's 12v electrics.
We have a Burstner Ixeo Time with a factory fitted solar panel. It also now has a Strikeback alarm fitted by @eddievanbitz and the folks in deepest Somerset.
The solar panel charges the leisure battery however the alarm takes a small current from the vehicle battery.
In order to avoid a non-starting motorhome after a long period parked-up without EHU I bought a Battery Master from Vanbitz at the NEC last week in the expectation that the solar panel would then effectively be topping-up both batteries (when the voltage on the vehicle battery drops below that of the leisure battery).
So - assuming the logic is solid so far - I now need to fit the thing. The Vanbitz people said I could call them up for advice when fitting but though I'd try here first if it really is a simple as I'm hoping!
Under the passenger seat sits a Schaudt Electrobloc EBL99. On the back of the block are three terminals labeled Starter battery positive, Living Area battery positive and Earth.
It seems to me that this is an ideal place to connect the three wires of the Battery Master or am I missing something obvious here?
I'd expect to disconnect both batteries before trying to connect anything but would welcome any suitable words of wisdom.

Many Thanks,
Peter&Sue

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
this is how vanbitz wired a Battery master into my EBL119
IMG_4467.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Usual way of doing it is to connect to the block marked Solar, output from the solar regulator to habitaion battery connection, Negative from regulator to negative & the output from the battery master to the starter battery connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When I fitted ours to a CBE control system we had as you say +ve starter battery +ve habitation batteries and -ve terminals all next to each other so all I did was switch off the control panel make the three connections and turn it back on.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Under the passenger seat sits a Schaudt Electrobloc EBL99. On the back of the block are three terminals
Peter&Sue

Which is where our similar device has lived for some years now.

Not everything has to be difficult.

OP
OP
Peter and Sue
May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well thanks to all for the encouragement - I connected the Battery Master as planned and after a few weeks testing it appears to be doing it's job very well!
The only hiccup that almost caught me out was the fact that the existing connections on the back of the Electrobloc are colour coded red/brown/black but switched when compared to the colour coding on the Battery Master - wiring it up by matching up the colours would not have worked! By reading the instructions and the symbols on the Electrobloc (ignoring the colours) I believe it's now wired up correctly and operating correctly. Lesson as usual - RTFM (twice).

Regards,
Peter&Sue

OP
OP
Peter and Sue
May 16, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nice indeed - I believe the light is working as it should, red when the vehicle battery is getting a trickle feed from the leisure battery, green when they both are at the same voltage.

Regards,
Peter&Sue

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
All fitted and working - nice easy job. Thanks for the help!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back