Installing a reversing camera (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi all, Just ebuyed myself a used reversing camera and hoping to fit it tomorrow. It looks pretty decent with a lcd screen and I took the advice of others from my last post and went for a wired version as opposed to wireless due to the length of my van.
Anyhow on arrival it has no instructions on fitting but I thought hey ho, can't be that hard. On the face of it it looks simple. I have from the camera, 3 wires. One is fused so that obviously is the power possitive cable. However there are two other thinner wires, one black which im thinking is possibly an earth, and then a white third wire? Would that be the one for the revering switch? I am thinking that I would like to keep it powered on all the time the ignition is on by taking the power source from the cigarette lighter, however what would happen to the reversing switch wire if I wanted that opton?

any help gratefully accepted even if wrong.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds very similar to mine Paul,

you're correct with the wiring.

if you want it on "full time" then the fused wire is connected to a 12v supply.
the black to earth and the white isnt connected at all unless you want reversed image for reversing in which case connect to the switched side of the reverse switch or the lights. i dont use that as i cant get on with it.

if you dont connect the white wire the image is "correct"
look at the monitor and cars overtake on the right of the screen just like looking in the rearview mirror.
if you connect the white wire then when reversing it gives an image the same as looking over your shoulder through the rear window......confusing if you dont usually reverse this way.....
i dont, i use my mirrors so the other way is perfect for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks John, sounds about what I was thinking.

Will let you know tomorrow how I got on, if of course I aint been electrocuted:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only difference is mine has the wires upfront at a small box in the multicore wiring to the camera at the back.
the camera gets its power via this cable.

sounds exactly the same except you have to find a permenent live at the back of run an extra wire to the front.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
best thing to do would be connect it up 'loose' at the front and check what it does first.

connect camera and perm live + earth
check screen then connect white to live and check again to see if its 'reversed'.

if you connect it all permenently and it doesnt work you'll be pi**ed.

by connecting white it turns on automaticaly when you select reverse even if its turned off, but in reversed image.

Last edited:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Paul

I know nothing about wiring reversing camera's, however I believe that when wiring a towbar, the white wire is the earth

Sounds like John and you have it sussed, but thought it was worth a mention, after all John is a sparky

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Paul

I know nothing about wiring reversing camera's, however I believe that when wiring a towbar, the white wire is the earth

Sounds like John and you have it sussed, but thought it was worth a mention, after all John is a sparky

Graham

defo white is reverse on mine:thumb:

auto wiring is generally black or brown earth except for towbar wiring for some reason!!!

Last edited:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I have just uninstalled my reversing camera on my Iveco...(was installed by an electrician)...That was fairly easy..but i dont think i have the knowledge to wire it back up in my swift kontiki.....I got mine on fleabay too..great camera system and nice 7'' screen.

shirl

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Been following this post.....

So....Any recommendations for a camera system?

Pref wired rather than wireless as I have heard so many negatives about wireless systems unless they have improved recently.

Many Thanks....Steve.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Steve, mine is wired and that was on the advice of scotjim and others on a previous post. It also is lcd and a decent size. Cant remember the make though:Blush:

I will let you know how good it is when ive fitted it.

Love the avatar :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Many Thanks.

I look forward to your review of the unit.There's so many out there it's becoming a technical minefield.

Steve.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a Camos RV532 for a year now. It is one of the cheaper Camos systems, but still more expensive than many budget units. I think the quality of construction is very good, and the system performs well.
It was fitted for me by Dave Newell who is a trade member of 'Fun'. I'm glad I did not try to fit it myself, because whilst I am a competent DIYer, it was a really fiddly job to ensure all the cables were hidden.

Philip

>>Link Removed<<

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
hi .here is a link to my camera..

Link Removed

I had it in my Iveco xlwb....i thought it was very good. Lots of information to.

shirley

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I have wired system, very happy with it my mate had wireless and when he saw mine changed over to wired, must prove something.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
hi .here is a link to my camera..

Link Removed

I had it in my Iveco xlwb....i thought it was very good. Lots of information to.

shirley

That looks good value, and it worked OK?. The viewing angle, did you have it pointed down for reversing or a view of the road. I think I would need two cameras or a dual unit:Sad:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I am thinking of fitting two to mine.. the monitor has two inputs.. so hopefully one for reversing/staring at the motorbike on the rack, and one for looking behind as a RVM :)

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Paul Just a thought, if you wire your reversing camera to the ignition you won't know if your coming or going

Nothing new there then:ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Many Thanks All.

That's given me something to think about.

Really need one to keep an eye on the rear when reversing or towing.:thumb:

Are these on all the time or only when reversing?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many Thanks All.

That's given me something to think about.

Really need one to keep an eye on the rear when reversing or towing.:thumb:

Are these on all the time or only when reversing?

they usuially have an on/off button on the monitor and if wired to the reverse switch it starts automaticly when reverse is selected even when turned off.

i think the on/off is similar to standby on a regular tv (how else can it come on with rev selected)and will still use power when off so wired to the ignition is best.

hope you read this Paul:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers John.

I know in some countries (Was it Spain) it is deemed illegal to have a screen visible from the driver's seat , I guess for fear of distracting his/hers vision.Is this only for TV/Sat nav?

I can't see it's any different to a rear-view mirror though.

Need one for keeping an eye on the "TOAD" behind me.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi all, just to say thank you all !!!!!

I have finally fitted it and will updat e my blog over the next week or two to let you know how hard/easy it was. It all works well and the only real hard bit was routing the cable.phew that was tough. However I have now done it and you can not see a wire anywhere in the van:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all, just to say thank you all !!!!!

I have finally fitted it and will updat e my blog over the next week or two to let you know how hard/easy it was. It all works well and the only real hard bit was routing the cable.phew that was tough. However I have now done it and you can not see a wire anywhere in the van:thumb:

bugger innit!!!!

i was lucky....only the toilet cassette housing and one internal rear corner trim to remove but that was hard enough.

Rapiscan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
manchester
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
1 MONTH..RETURNING AFTER 20 YRS
Glue or screw a reversing camera?

:Blush:Hi,im not sure whether to sikoflex my new wired reversing camera directly to the ext rear wall of my kontiki or screw it on directly...or bond a block of wood,plastic or alloy first with sikoflex to the wall and then screw the camera to that?.The latter option means i only have the one cable entry hole as opposed to 3 screw holes otherwise....what dya think peeps? Thanks for any info/advice.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back