Installing a drinking water tap (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing that always amuses me is when people say they only drink bottled water because they prefer their water to be fresh.

Fresh.

That's "fresh" rather than water that's been stored in a plastic tank for a couple of days.

It never seems to occur to them that their favourite bottled water has been stored in plastic containers in a warehouse somewhere for an indeterminate amount of time but certainly a lot longer than the water in their tanks has been there. For all they know their favourite brand is bottled 6 months or a year before they drink it.

I have tried to find out how long in advance the main producers bottle their products but strangely it's something they seem to keep very quiet :whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The water over here that we use to fill, is second rate and not drinkable. Not even for dogs. No problem buying drinking water :)
As Canary Islands are part of Spain how come their water is not up to EU standards?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Bottled water is a con. .. if someone had told us 50 years ago that in the future someone would selling us bottled tap water we would have fallen down laughing..

I still do fall down laughing when I see people get taken in by it :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Canary islands are not part of the EU....simples

they are part of Spain and have the same water quality standards as Spain. which conform to EU standards .. ergo, .. so do the Canaries.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
We drank the water in Tenerife last year the whole two weeks we were there, with no ill effects.

OP
OP
Happihalls

Happihalls

Free Member
Jun 12, 2014
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2013
Guys, I've seen and read a lot of debates on drinking water out of the main tank (or not). We've made our own mind up. I wasn't interested in starting another debate on that topic, I was interested in whether other people had installed a second tap and how; that was the purpose of my post.

Thanks Joyce/Brian for your suggestion regarding the Nature Pure filter. We have considered that, though it's a lot more expensive than the option we were looking at of a small tap with micro switch, and a ÂŁ20 pump dropped into a 5 litre water container, which would be simple to fill and clean each day giving us fresh water every day, and certainly wouldn't get the chance to get stagnant(!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wasn't interested in starting another debate on that topic,

actually.. it stayed 'on topic' rather longer than many..:LOL:

the one on A Frames ended up discussing Sharia law.. :eek:

back to your question..

no, I have never seen or fitted a separate tap supplied by a separate container with it's own pump.. frankly I think it's overkill .. if you want to use a 5lt bottle would it not just be easier to pour from it.. no pump to get contaminated, no pipes to get dirty, doesn't need to be stored under the sink.. . and cheap as chips..

when full time I fitted a Nature pure in my RV ..it gave reassurance when using water in Morocco... but not since buying my Hymer.. just don't think they are worth the cost or needed if only travelling in Europe.. and in many many years of motorhoming have never been sick from drinking tank water ..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed and with one of these Broken Link Removed
is what i use . been all over north africa with it and never let me down .
cheap replacement filters and removes chlorine.
had mine in use since 1998 .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Guys, I've seen and read a lot of debates on drinking water out of the main tank (or not). We've made our own mind up. I wasn't interested in starting another debate on that topic, I was interested in whether other people had installed a second tap and how; that was the purpose of my post.

Thanks Joyce/Brian for your suggestion regarding the Nature Pure filter. We have considered that, though it's a lot more expensive than the option we were looking at of a small tap with micro switch, and a ÂŁ20 pump dropped into a 5 litre water container, which would be simple to fill and clean each day giving us fresh water every day, and certainly wouldn't get the chance to get stagnant(!)
We have the NP Filter system and separate tap which gives great water all the time with no concerns where we fill the tank. I agree it's not a cheap system initially but for peace of mind and convenience I would not be without it.

In fact we ordered a new m/h at the Peterborough show and the first thing we bought was another Nature Pure ready to fit when the van arrives.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
The other thing that always amuses me is when people say they only drink bottled water because they prefer their water to be fresh.

Fresh.

That's "fresh" rather than water that's been stored in a plastic tank for a couple of days.

It never seems to occur to them that their favourite bottled water has been stored in plastic containers in a warehouse somewhere for an indeterminate amount of time but certainly a lot longer than the water in their tanks has been there. For all they know their favourite brand is bottled 6 months or a year before they drink it.

I have tried to find out how long in advance the main producers bottle their products but strangely it's something they seem to keep very quiet :whistle:

I have some insider knowledge on this one, and the answer is "not long" - it's a high volume easily produced product (funnily enough!), no producer will have much finished inventory sitting around, you want to bottle it and get it out of the door, not have it sitting around in expensive warehouses.

However - when it then goes out into the market - it could be anything from a few days to a year before you purchase it. It's a product with extreme demand spikes, very weather dependent, especially the smaller sizes that are an "impulse" purchase from a shop's fridge on a hot day. In smaller retailers in particular it could be hanging around for a while. Some retailers will stockpile in the spring to ensure they have enough to cope through demand spikes in the summer. I once bought a huge quantity at a knockdown price when a manufacturer had excess bottling capacity in winter and I had a spare warehouse - this of course ensured that the following summer was wet & cold!

I drink water from the tank with no filter. Only downside is that in warmer weather it's a bit too warm to be pleasant - nothing that filling a couple of bottles to keep in the fridge doesn't sort out.

Environmentally, bottled water is a disaster area compared to tap water.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Hey, thread drift is to be expected on just about every forum!

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
We lived in Spain (Near Mojacar) for a couple of years and we were told by the Spanish and English not to drink the tap water. Everyone used bottled water for drinking! A lot cheaper than the UK though.

I always have water sterilising tablets on board, if in any doubt I always put one in when filling the tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back