LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The AL-KO suspension kits are vastly different to any kit for a leaf sprung vehicle, hence the vast price differences. There are AL-KO kits that can be fitted DIY, where as others you are tied in to having them fitted by your supplier.

With regards to having to change shock absorbers as well, I find that odd.

Many people buy on price alone, however you do need to take time to examine each kit carefully. Whilst some kits are fast to fit, they're not so good on the chassis as deformation can happen with some. Another difference between kits is the diameter of the air bellows, the larger the better.

When choosing an air bellow, ask how it like being bottomed out, some survive, some pinch and that's the end of it.

With regards to gauges and compressors, that should be a personal choice, and do you really need twin gauges on systems without compressors? Your not going to be out changing the pressures all the time. More crucial is your tyres, do you have a gauge on each wheel? I do know some systems where the supplier insists on a simple gauge and TAG systems they even insist on a compressor, but that tends to be more about looking after the customers system than trying to make money. Fitting a simple gauge is quite often beneficial for accurate pressures, plus it makes inflation easier if you struggle with hand co-ordination.
The above makes a huge amount of sense. I have standard Fiat rear suspension and fitted Dunlop air assist on a shoestring with no gauge, using the logic that it is rarely adjusted. When getting the towbar fitted by Watlings I saw a nice manifold fabricated by them and now use a cheap Aldi Air compressor for adjusting when needed. The system has never needed topping up but I have been playing with the pressure a bit
image.jpg

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
The above makes a huge amount of sense. I have standard Fiat rear suspension and fitted Dunlop air assist on a shoestring with no gauge, using the logic that it is rarely adjusted. When getting the towbar fitted by Watlings I saw a nice manifold fabricated by them and now use a cheap Aldi Air compressor for adjusting when needed. The system has never needed topping up but I have been playing with the pressure a bit
View attachment 65772
Have you got the gauge fitted in the cab or in the rear locker?

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
I'm keeping out of this because as my wife keeps telling me, 'you know nothing Paul Ellis' (that's a Game of Thrones joke for the uninitiated).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have you got the gauge fitted in the cab or in the rear locker?
Could not see the point of putting it in the cab. I never cut the air lines when fitting it, so there was plenty of spare and simply drilled two holes for the lines ran them up into an out of the way corner of a rear locker, sealed it all up and fixed the manifold in place

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I truly hate forums, as there's always someone out for a fight. I thought this forum might be different, clearly not. This is the last you'll see of me.

Hi Justabloke. If you are still around?
Sadly I find the same but don't give up so quickly, there are loads of us on here who are willing to listen and join in and help when we can.
I'm no expert in anything and don't feel I need to be to provide a valid and worthwhile contribution to the the forum. It really can be worthwhile you know...:smiley:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi Justabloke. If you are still around?
Sadly I find the same but don't give up so quickly, there are loads of us on here who are willing to listen and join in and help when we can.
I'm no expert in anything and don't feel I need to be to provide a valid and worthwhile contribution to the the forum. It really can be worthwhile you know...:smiley:

Well said. I have amended my signature as a result of a few posts in this thread.:whistle2:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I've been here the longest and don't know much at all. Do you expect every new member knows nothing then?
New members bringing their skills and experience to the site are great and what helps to make this such a valuable resource for those of us who no nothing.
Knowledgeable posts from those that have ‘been there and done that' are respected either because they have a track record here or usually state because I am in the trade.
With no track record and with such detailed information in the first couple of posts it was just a question and not my intention to put the bloke off just wanted to know the source of such knowledge.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
The AL-KO suspension kits are vastly different to any kit for a leaf sprung vehicle, hence the vast price differences. There are AL-KO kits that can be fitted DIY, where as others you are tied in to having them fitted by your supplier.

With regards to having to change shock absorbers as well, I find that odd.

Many people buy on price alone, however you do need to take time to examine each kit carefully. Whilst some kits are fast to fit, they're not so good on the chassis as deformation can happen with some. Another difference between kits is the diameter of the air bellows, the larger the better.

When choosing an air bellow, ask how it like being bottomed out, some survive, some pinch and that's the end of it.

With regards to gauges and compressors, that should be a personal choice, and do you really need twin gauges on systems without compressors? Your not going to be out changing the pressures all the time. More crucial is your tyres, do you have a gauge on each wheel? I do know some systems where the supplier insists on a simple gauge and TAG systems they even insist on a compressor, but that tends to be more about looking after the customers system than trying to make money. Fitting a simple gauge is quite often beneficial for accurate pressures, plus it makes inflation easier if you struggle with hand co-ordination.
I've had a lot of conversations about fitting Air Suspension with AS and apparently the shocks on my van are not one of the ones recommended and are not on the 'list'. So I'm awaiting price of kit with shocks included.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am wondering how difficult a job fitting is for the average DIYer.

Where is the most common place to locate the gauges and the compressor, is it the drivers cab?

Do you operate the compressor directly or from a remotely located switch?

I have images in my mind of cables and pipes everywhere!!

Dont know if this will help

Mel

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I am wondering how difficult a job fitting is for the average DIYer.

Where is the most common place to locate the gauges and the compressor, is it the drivers cab?

Do you operate the compressor directly or from a remotely located switch?

I have images in my mind of cables and pipes everywhere!!

I bought the Dunlop kit from Marcle Leisure, and I found it to be fairly straightforward job to fit. I didn't bother with a fitted compressor - too expensive - and having had it fitted for a while now I'm happy with that choice, it really doesn't need adjusting very often. I did go for their single gauge with a left and right side valve, which I fitted in the drivers step of the cab, all neat enough, it doesn't get in the way and it's super-easy to check the pressures. It was an extra £70 and I think worth it.

Broken Link Removed

The hoses to the bellows are very small in diameter so are easy enough to secure unobtrusively to the bottom of the van.

The Dunlop kit seems good quality - nice heavy brackets and well plated, and I believe the bellows are a larger diameter than some.

I carry a cheapo 12v compressor in the garage which I can use for the suspension or of course the tyres. You do have to remember to tell your garage if the van is going in for any work - jack under the axle or let all the air out first, jack under the body with the bellows pressurised and it can damage them.

It was well worth fitting the kit, it really has transformed the handling of the van and in particular has made passing HGV's on the motorway a much more relaxed affair - the van stays in a straight line now!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have just installed air assisted suspension and new shocks to the rear of my old Hymer and what a difference! I don't just mean the obvious roundabouts and corner difference, I can actually drive in a straight line now without continuously moving the steering wheel left and right. Driving is now a pleasure instead of a chore. I would recommend anyone who is thinking about it to do it, especially if, like me, you have an older vehicle.
Hi could I ask what shockers you fitted. I'm still thinking about fitting air bags!

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
Hi manic, sorry I've only just seen your post as I've been away. I just bought generic shocks from my local garage.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi, I have Alko chassis so not straight forward. Have had some discussion with installer and they have been in discussion with Alko. On my Laika will also need to change shock absorbers so quite an expensive job. Getting the suspension correct is a must so do get good advice.
Just been informed that a new kit is available for use with my ALKO chassis including different shock absorbers. Installed price with on board compressor around £1800.00

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back