Installation of snipe 2, advice please (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just purchased a snipe 2 of Red Apple, arrived within 2 days very competitive price with UK warranty
Initially I was going to use it as a portable unit (got external sat/tv power point on the outside), however having weighed it up not that easy/partical and as it came with a mounting plate reluctantly am going to fit to the roof:eek: having always been against drilling any holes
My plan is to install the mounting plate on a solid bed of Sikaflex (will speak to the manufacturer as to the best one to use regarding the two surfaces being stuck together) being maybe 2mm thick using roll edge sponge (5mm) around the profile of the mounting plate (car detailers use it) which will allow me to build the sikaflex bed to 2mm and when I take the tape of leave a nice clean finish with the mounting plate on a solid bed
I haven't decided on whether to use the stainless steel screws as well, but probably will as belt and braces
Anybody see any problems with above method or any improvements I could make, all advice welcome
Thks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Your idea is fine except for the screws - they are unnecessary. If you have ever had to remove anything held by Sikaflex you would understand. Sikaflex thickness of 1mm is adequate according to the manufacturer but more is good - especially as once a tube is opened it solidifies well before it's next required.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I stuck my Megasat Countryman Pro ( same a a Snipe pro Max ) on with just Sikaflex 252 its still there.
20151010_174359.jpg 20151011_100214.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Spoke to sika who confirmed the Sikaflex 552 with appropriate primer the best adhesive for sticking satalite to the roof, I know it's a bit more expensive but for the extra tenner worth it
16kg of steel/plastic travelling down the motorway at 60/70mph on its own might be a problem if it comes off (max speed allowed with the snipe on the roof is 80 mph)
Spoke to my Burnster dealer to confirm the construction of the roof for the correct primer, to my surprise and useful if your not aware, Burnster and others conceal cables in the insulation within the roof lining :eek: so to be careful when drilling

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I would not drill holes in the roof. As you say there are cables in there. I had a Snipe for 18 months and had a couple of issues with it. ACDC were very good about it and collected it via courier. Second time they rang to say it could not be repaired and under their 2 year warranty offered a Snipe2 instead as they didn't have any of the earlier ones left. When I fitted mine I used Sikaflex and it's been fine. I used three of the little plastic tile spaces to give me a thickness of Sikaflex. When I bought the MH I asked them to fit a cable entry gland on the roof above the TV so that I still retained the warranty.
Used stick on white plastic channel to get the cables across the roof. Cleaned everything with Methylated Spirit. Ours shows a transmission error sometimes so I just switch it off and back on again. Once it has found the satellite you can switch the box off as it does not need to be on to use the ariel.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have recently installed/fitted a snipe 2 system and fitted to the roof how you have suggested minus the screws - no need for them ! Marked the roof with the plate and lay masking tape around the profile leaving about 4mm over, put a good layer of sika on the roof (after a good clean of roof and plate) dropped the plate on an tidied the edges up, removed masking tape and let it set, only need to drill one hole - or if your TV point is near the fridge some vans have a roof vent you can drop the cables down there and feed to the place of cable run preference... The less holes you have to drill the less problems your likely to have with leaks is my favoured saying.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have recently installed/fitted a snipe 2 system and fitted to the roof how you have suggested minus the screws - no need for them ! Marked the roof with the plate and lay masking tape around the profile leaving about 4mm over, put a good layer of sika on the roof (after a good clean of roof and plate) dropped the plate on an tidied the edges up, removed masking tape and let it set, only need to drill one hole - or if your TV point is near the fridge some vans have a roof vent you can drop the cables down there and feed to the place of cable run preference... The less holes you have to drill the less problems your likely to have with leaks is my favoured saying.
Did you use more than one tube of Sikaflex KK, its £24 a tube so don't want to buy two but if required I will do to ensure it's done to specc
Needs to be spot on given the dangers if it delaminates

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
£24 ? I only pay £10.99 for it from the local camping/caravan supplier - But yes only used one tube an still got a little left over, that was to fix the base plate and the roof gland (which is a little baby roof gland) (y)

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
£24 ? I only pay £10.99 for it from the local camping/caravan supplier - But yes only used one tube an still got a little left over, that was to fix the base plate and the roof gland (which is a little baby roof gland) (y)
Was that for Sikaflex 552 KK ?
Was that a solid bed of adhesive in one tube, Thks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's difficult to see the folded up Snipe 2 from ground level, even on a low profile MH, and on our vehicle it's the highest item on the roof so we don't want to knock it off.

If you're manouevering near low branches or similar, possibly unexpectedly, and someone's outside keeping an eye out, the following cheapskate early warning sensor might be worth installing:

Broken Link Removed

I took the photo on a mobile with my arm at full stretch - we can't see the £600+ receiver from ground level but we can see the top of the 2p cable tie that's a couple of inches higher. :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Was that for Sikaflex 552 KK ?
Was that a solid bed of adhesive in one tube, Thks
It was 221 sika, Its what Cannock Caravans recommended and what Go European workshop guys use when bonding solar panels, awnings etc, so i just thought if its what they use and CC recommended it also it must be OK, Its still up there on the roof anyway (y)
Not a solid bed GH, a decent thickness of lines about an inch - inch an half apart all over the base plate - an also about half inch away from the edges so when its pressed down it will ooze out ready for smoothing off

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It was 221 sika, Its what Cannock Caravans recommended and what Go European workshop guys use when bonding solar panels, awnings etc, so i just thought if its what they use and CC recommended it also it must be OK, Its still up there on the roof anyway (y)
Not a solid bed GH, a decent thickness of lines about an inch - inch an half apart all over the base plate - an also about half inch away from the edges so when its pressed down it will ooze out ready for smoothing off
When speaking to sika the 221 is suitable and my own dealer specced that, however the 552 has slightly better adhesion properties/specc so thought for the extra £12 quid (one tube needed) worth getting the 552
Agree the 221 is more than suitable thou KK

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Yep GH if 552 is recommended its best to go with what you feel comfy with, personally i think all the sika that has good adhesive properties is ok, ive used 552 221 and another which i cant remember in the past an they are all good for sticking stuff down.. All the best with your diy jobbie.. Some pics would be good for other potential diy peeps.. Wish i would have done it when i fitted ours

kevinktwo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
not yet
Interesting that Red Apple are charging £10 more for a single lnb snipe 2 without the fixing plate than with! :)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
If you put anything on the roof of a Rapido then you would have to screw it down, Rapido's are fitted with a floating roof on top of main roof, which is for hail stone protection i believe, you can feel it move under your feet when cleaning roof, so fitting any thing heavy without screwing down could be lifted by the wind when traveling and cause severe damage to roof, I have just taken my Maxview auto Vudome of and fitted a Teleco Flatsat Easy, used Sika 221 and 8 screws to secure to roof properly.(y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I put ours on the way the OP suggests. Loads of Sika, but then I also put the screws in just to make extra sure it stays on. The screws may have been unnecessary, but it makes me happier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back