Insect bites (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
ooooh, I forgot I've got this- comes in a bright green box that you can't miss......... except I left it at home! Doh! Didn't think I would be getting bites at this time of the year.

Steve-n-Mags

Free Member
Jul 14, 2015
Jarrow, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
If you get bitten and don't have any of the suggested remedies, make yourself a cup of tea and when the used tea bag cools gently rub it over the sting or bite. Don't know why but it worked for me.

By the way, don't just run the tea bag under the tap to moisten it. I tried this and the bag just split.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
The wife used Aloe Vera this year both in UK and France and didn't get bitten. Normally she ends up with swollen Ankles. She buys the cheap stuff from Superdrug. One advantage is you don't end up smelling like a car paint shop! Our youngest took a bottle to Japan this summer and seemed to avoid the worst the local insects could throw at him when other using Jungle formula were getting eaten alive..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
used to get eaten alive but since I started on statins the only bites I get are from the wife:D

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Taking a good high dosage vitamin b1 supplement is supposed to help, apparently you cannot 'overdose' on this vitamin, the excess is excreted through your skin and it's the scent of this the mozzies or midges don't like, much the same as garlic.
Have a look at pure Neem oil extract, it apparently has an 'interesting' smell, however it can be diluted with a carrier oil and an aromatherapy oil of your preferred scent, tea tree etc. Neem oil is apparently a miracle natural product and is great for skin conditions of all kinds as well as being a good repellent of mozzies n midges and other insects, tics etc and can be used on pets.
Well worth a try having read up on various web pages on the stuff.
http://www.discoverneem.com/

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Taking a good high dosage vitamin b1 supplement is supposed to help, apparently you cannot 'overdose' on this vitamin, the excess is excreted through your skin and it's the scent of this the mozzies or midges don't like, much the same as garlic.
Have a look at pure Neem oil extract, it apparently has an 'interesting' smell, however it can be diluted with a carrier oil and an aromatherapy oil of your preferred scent, tea tree etc. Neem oil is apparently a miracle natural product and is great for skin conditions of all kinds as well as being a good repellent of mozzies n midges and other insects, tics etc and can be used on pets.
Well worth a try having read up on various web pages on the stuff.
We've just discovered Neem Oil and use it for skin problems. I didn't know it was good for repelling insects. Next time I'll try using it in carrier oil as a 'perfume'. Also the vitamin supplement idea sounds great. I much prefer natural products if at all possible - thanks.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
We've just discovered Neem Oil and use it for skin problems. I didn't know it was good for repelling insects. Next time I'll try using it in carrier oil as a 'perfume'. Also the vitamin supplement idea sounds great. I much prefer natural products if at all possible - thanks.
Hi Mags, have a look at this link there should be the recipe for various things using Neem

I have just bought some 100% natural cold pressed Neem oil and will mix with grape seed carrier oil and tea tree oil for its anticeptic qualities. the Neem oil itself is apparently quite pungent somewhere between fried onions and garlic or something similar. That's one of the very few downsides to the stuff but I think I can cope with that. Good luck with it, I hope it works a treat for you, hey it's good for your skin and hair too.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
used to get eaten alive but since I started on statins the only bites I get are from the wife:D

Me too, hope your right, I get eaten alive normally.

Doctor was kind enough to throw in some Amlodipine blood pressure tablets as well, that should fox the little blighters.

Brian

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mags, have a look at this link there should be the recipe for various things using Neem

I have just bought some 100% natural cold pressed Neem oil and will mix with grape seed carrier oil and tea tree oil for its anticeptic qualities. the Neem oil itself is apparently quite pungent somewhere between fried onions and garlic or something similar. That's one of the very few downsides to the stuff but I think I can cope with that. Good luck with it, I hope it works a treat for you, hey it's good for your skin and hair too.
Just this morning made some neem oil soap. We've been buying it online for eczema but decided to try the homemade stuff. It really does stink but with some aromatherapy oils it's not so bad. Wish I'd added two and two together with the insect thing - might have saved myself a number of scars.
Interesting thread ...thanks all.
Mags

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Vic Vapour rub works well at keeping the little bitey things away, and also is very good at reducing the swellings you get when you have been bitten, works better than anthistan which we always have in the fridge in the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back