Injector problem on 2004 Fiat Ducato JTD (1 Viewer)

Paul Smyth

Free Member
Jun 30, 2016
Arboleas Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 650 SP
Exp
Since 2012
The usual problem with the red light coming on began the problem and slight cylinder missing and misfiring but then it stopped for a day or so. Red light appeared again but no misfiring for an hour or so then it began. I was in Porto but limped to Lisbon to a garage who did the disagnostic on the Friday and showed No 4 was the problem and required to be replaced. Drove to Bosch myself and bought a new injector at a cost of 349 euro and returned to the garage and had it fitted on the Monday at a cost of 50 euro. Drove from the garage and was not gone more than a mile and the red light returned and the misfiring began again. Returned to the garage again and they tested and retested and could not understand the problem they phoned Bosch which was of little value so I ended up driving from Lisbon to Almeria with a new injector at a cost of 400 euro and I still have a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It will be the injector wiring loom is a bit too short and pulls on No4 injector causing a poor connection and misfire. Its a common problem on Ducatos of this generation.

D.

OP
OP
P

Paul Smyth

Free Member
Jun 30, 2016
Arboleas Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 650 SP
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Dave any idea how to sort it as I will be taking it to a garage in Almeria so any help and I will translate it to Spanish before I go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
All the same symptoms for me, had no4 injector diagnosed, but I knew it wasn't that. Gave me the right run around for weeks. I extended the loom as some forums suggested it might have been too short, cleaned all connectors etc. It was intermittent and really hard to pin down. Checked the throttle actuator and was working find.

Ended up finding the turbo dump/boost was sticking. So drove up on my levelling ramps and had someone rev the engine while I watched to see if it was working properly and it wasn't moving at all. Freed it off with an adjustable spanner and lubed with some spray and it was like driving a new vehicle.

Might not be the same with you, but that was my experience after having the same symptoms. Even my mot tester had commented on the misfire, but now all gone and a quick fix as well :)

Hope it helps.

Pictures of the turbo and dump/boost as some people call them.
image.jpeg
image.png

Ps, not my engine, just pictures from the net showing the turbo and actuator/actuator rod

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Extend the wiring to No4, although it's not a job I've ever had to do personally. The dump/boost valve mentioned is properly called the wastegate. Its job is to allow exhaust gases to bypass the turbine when maximum boost pressure is achieved. A non working wastegate will cause one of two faults depending on vehicle age and type, on ealrier vehicles the wastegate is most likely to be stuck in the closed position which will lead to an "overboost" condition during hard acceleration/hillclimbing, you may see a warning light on the dash. This is a dangerous situation as an "overboosted" engine can easily grenade itself to destruction. On later vehicles the wategate's "normal" position is open and it is closed by an electronically controlled actuator when boost is needed. The former is dangerous the latter is a failsafe design. A stuck wastegate (in either position) is unlikely to cause a misfire.

D.

OP
OP
P

Paul Smyth

Free Member
Jun 30, 2016
Arboleas Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 650 SP
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks to you both for all your help at least I have something to go on now and I will extend the wiring but do I need to buy a specific type of wiring connection or can I just extend the cable and make sure I have a good connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2023
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E765
Exp
Since 2003
hi Dave, a huge thank you, I had this problem, took it to a local garage in Market Rasen and he identified the fuel injector on cylinder 4. Before taking it somewhere to be fixed I tried your advice, loosened the fittings, removed the connectors, gave the leads a little tug and then replaced the connectors. Started perfect, no engine light and firing on all 4 cylinders. Glad I read this forum before buying a new £225 injector. It’s so good to have forums like this where people share their knowledge and experience. 👏👏👏
Thanks Dave any idea how to sort it as I will be taking it to a garage in Almeria so any help and I will translate it to Spanish before I gothe same problem whilst away, took it to a local garage and they discovered a fault on Cylinder 4 injector. I found this topic on Google and followed your advice. Saved myself the £225 they quoted to fix it with a little pull on the leads

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back