Injection system failure (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
My motorhome was a non starter recently called the RAC who discovered it was the grey mega fuse on top of the battery. As they did not carry the correct one it was replaced temporary till I purchased the correct one, this I have done now I have the engine management light on, all the time when the engine is running. In the book it says Injection System Failure, one of the causes is a flat battery but it starts easily. the dealer I bought it from said to take on a 20 to 30 minute run turn engine off then on and it should clear,but I'm worried that if it does more damage how would the warranty stand.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My motorhome was a non starter recently called the RAC who discovered it was the grey mega fuse on top of the battery. As they did not carry the correct one it was replaced temporary till I purchased the correct one, this I have done now I have the engine management light on, all the time when the engine is running. In the book it says Injection System Failure, one of the causes is a flat battery but it starts easily. the dealer I bought it from said to take on a 20 to 30 minute run turn engine off then on and it should clear,but I'm worried that if it does more damage how would the warranty stand.

You need to be more specific, Make, model, year, amber or red?
Is there a loss of power or rev range?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My engine light came on last week after it took a bit of starting.
I panicked and without turning the engine off took it round to my local garage. They suggested turning it off and restarting it.

I turned it off and it wouldn't start, with me blocking the entrance to the garage..... :Doh:

Anyway I went back in, but everyone was busy. I went back out after 3-4 minutes. Tried to start it and it started straight away. Engine light went out after 3 seconds.

It has been fine ever since.

The garage said this does happen with fiat ducatos occasionally. Running it for a while, turn it off for 5 minutes and retrying will often clear the warning.

Not sure how good this advice is but it just worked for me...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
You need to be more specific, Make, model, year, amber or red?
Is there a loss of power or rev range?
Sorry 2007 Fiat Ducato 3.0. No loss of revs but not taken out on road yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
more often than not the MIL will go out after around 3 start cycles...cold start, run to hot, turn off = 1 cycle... if the fault has sorted itself...and the flat battery causing the fault will be the problem.

failing that, buy a cheap OBD11 reader off eBay or Amazon which will tell you just what the fault is, then clear the code yourself....cheaper than getting a main dealer to clear it and you will have the reader for future use.

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I would say because of what you told us Its not going to do damage, Run it and let it sort itself out
The main question is, why did the fuse blow in the first place?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Sorry 2007 Fiat Ducato 3.0. No loss of revs but not taken out on road yet.

Hang on a minute, you mention a dealer, surely he should have plugged in a diagnostic machine? How long ago was it since you bought it? I bought my MH private. My red MIL came on at 2800 rpm. Then went out when foot off gas. Not too bothered as son has garage. Plugged it in, came up as "overboost". No problem says son, bet waste-gate on turbo seized. Yes it was. Free it and hey presto and revved freely. However, the red MIL indicate an injector problem. Well yes in a way, as due to overboosting the ECU shuts off fuel to the injectors, so the message WE GET (humans!) is injector problem.
He often gets vehicles come in with MIL alight. When he does check, loads of supposed problems usually "implausable signal". Invariably when asked customer admits to stalling, bump start or flat battery and jump start.
Pappajohn is probably right but sometimes disconnecting battery and having cuppa then re-connecting can solve, JUST LIKE WHEN YOUR PC LOCKS UP !

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
more often than not the MIL will go out after around 3 start cycles...cold start, run to hot, turn off = 1 cycle... if the fault has sorted itself...and the flat battery causing the fault will be the problem.

failing that, buy a cheap OBD11 reader off eBay or Amazon which will tell you just what the fault is, then clear the code yourself....cheaper than getting a main dealer to clear it and you will have the reader for future use.

Can you point me to one that is suitable for a 53 Ducato and tell me where the socket is please?

Very curious :Eeek::ROFLMAO::Doh:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Are these vans or space ships? i dont understand what these lights are. I have ign light and oil pressure light and thats it. All sounds vary technical(expensive)

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Link Removed

What I would say about these laptop cables is, They can be a real pain to set up and obtain from the net the correct software for your car

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My motorhome was a non starter recently called the [HI]RAC who discovered it was the grey mega fuse on top of the battery. [/HI]As they did not carry the correct one it was replaced temporary till I purchased the correct one, this I have done now I have the engine management light on, all the time when the engine is running. In the book it says Injection System Failure, one of the causes is a flat battery but it starts easily. the dealer I bought it from said to take on a 20 to 30 minute run turn engine off then on and it should clear,but I'm worried that if it does more damage how would the warranty stand.

I'm surprised the RAC guy didn't do a diagnostic check, or perhaps he did whcih led him to the fuse. But why did fuse blow?
I enclose scan of Ducato owner's manual, can you recall which fuse or amperage ? assuming that this listing applies to your MH also as mine is the 2800JTD not 3.0

Attachments

• FUSES.jpg
    FUSES.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Are these vans or space ships? i dont understand what these lights are. I have ign light and oil pressure light and thats it. All sounds vary technical(expensive)

Oh they are vans but full of sensors and if one fails then on comes the little light that looks like a side view of an engine.
My son says the diagnostic machine makes a damn good guess but can even be accurate sometimes! Oh for the days of a Cortina, water temp, oil pressure, fuel line¨and throttle cable. If you had a spark, no petrol, if you had petrol then no spark. Simple.
Today he has to use the diagnostic machíne to reset the the handbrake on some Audis, yes that's what I typed!
Some vehicles throw up a service due light which can only be extinguished with the machine as well.
And I seem to recall he said that from 20th March he must fail any vehicle for the MOT with ANY light on the dashboard.

The following are additional failures

headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
main beam 'tell-tale'
battery - including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles
electrical wiring connectors
trailer electrical socket security and damage
operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets
operation of the steering lock (where fitted)
electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
electronic stability control components including switch and malfunction warning
brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
tyre pressure monitoring systems
secondary restraint system component including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and seat belt load limiters.
speedometer
indirect vision devices - where they replace obligatory mirrors

HAPPY MOTORING .....................

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you point me to one that is suitable for a 53 Ducato and tell me where the socket is please?

this is the one i use on both my RV (petrol engine) and my Chrysler (diesel).

Link Removed

OBD11 only became compulsory on 2004 diesel engined European vehicles...but many had it before then.
my 2001 Volvo was fitted with OBD.

cheap ones will usually only pick up and clear engine fault codes so any chassis problems (ABS/traction control, airbag, service light etc) and you still need a dealer or deep pockets for a full scanner.....a few £100s at least.

if you have a smart phone you can download the app 'torque-scan' (free) or 'torque-scan pro' (paid for) which connect via a bluetooth module Link Removed which plugs into the OBD socket.
the pro version will clear many more codes than the cheap ebay ones.

by law, the OBD socket must be in reach of the drivers seat but could be anywhere.
my RV is down the side of the brake pedal box while the Chrysler is up under the dash next to the steering column.
my old Volvo was under the false floor of the centre armrest box.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Software got its knickers in a twist most likely and has now sorted itself.

On a Merc (car) if you change the battery all sorts of things come up as major failures, all you need to do is full lock one way, full lock the other way and hey presto, restart and all 100% ok.

Peter

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
this is the one i use on both my RV (petrol engine) and my Chrysler (diesel).

Link Removed

OBD11 only became compulsory on 2004 diesel engined European vehicles...but many had it before then.
my 2001 Volvo was fitted with OBD.

cheap ones will usually only pick up and clear engine fault codes so any chassis problems (ABS/traction control, airbag, service light etc) and you still need a dealer or deep pockets for a full scanner.....a few £100s at least.

if you have a smart phone you can download the app 'torque-scan' (free) or 'torque-scan pro' (paid for) which connect via a bluetooth module Link Removed which plugs into the OBD socket.
the pro version will clear many more codes than the cheap ebay ones.

[HI]by law, the OBD socket must be in reach of the drivers seat but could be anywhere[/HI].
my RV is down the side of the brake pedal box while the Chrysler is up under the dash next to the steering column.
my old Volvo was under the false floor of the centre armrest box.

Do you know what the government standard driver arm length is set at?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh they are vans but full of sensors and if one fails then on comes the little light that looks like a side view of an engine.
My son says the diagnostic machine makes a damn good guess but can even be accurate sometimes! Oh for the days of a Cortina, water temp, oil pressure, fuel line¨and throttle cable. If you had a spark, no petrol, if you had petrol then no spark. Simple.
Today he has to use the diagnostic machíne to reset the the handbrake on some Audis, yes that's what I typed!
Some vehicles throw up a service due light which can only be extinguished with the machine as well.
And I seem to recall he said that from 20th March he must fail any vehicle for the MOT with ANY light on the dashboard.

The following are additional failures

headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps HID lights MUST have these functions by law
main beam 'tell-tale'
battery - including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles Security only
electrical wiring connectors and wiring security
trailer electrical socket security and damage
operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets
operation of the steering lock (where fitted)
electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault
electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
electronic stability control components including switch and malfunction warning
brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
tyre pressure monitoring systems 2012 vehicles only
secondary restraint system component including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and seat belt load limiters.
speedometer
indirect vision devices - where they replace obligatory mirrors

HAPPY MOTORING .....................
I certainly hope not !!!!

at least one of the listed items only applies to 2012 onwards vehicles so wont apply for another 3 years...tyre pressure monitors.
and i believe the ABS warning has been cancelled as a fail as well...but they are generally a common sensor with traction (ESC) control (and cruise control) which is a fail

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do you know what the government standard driver arm length is set at?

There certainly is one in The Machinery Directive. For machine guards, so you can't lean in get your hand in the works.

I forget what it is, around 800mm.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had this in Spain on our 2008 x250.
We took it to a local garage who put the computer on it and he cleard the fault (€5)
He said it was the "butterfly" and there was nothing to repair.
The light came on again (a green engine symbol) and we lived with it as it drove like a dream.
As Papa said it went of after 3 runs of around 150 miles.
Came all the way along the Spanish coast from Murcia and up into France with no problem.
When we return to the UK for a visit Geo will check it out for me when he services it. :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I seem to recall reading that they have changed one of the mega fuse on some x250 models that were borderline for size/in amps or wrong one fitted sometimes maybe a dealer fault /service sheet I cannot remember where I saw it though

here is a bit of info about sizes etc

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/260991-battery-fuse.html

they will sometimes blow if its the battery one if the battery is quite low

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Can you point me to one that is suitable for a 53 Ducato and [HI]tell me where the socket is please?[/HI]
[HI]
Here is the socket, actually a plug! on 05 Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD.

[/HI]

Attachments

• P1060644.jpg
    P1060644.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 20

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries