Injection system failure light

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by carken, Sep 2, 2013.

1. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Hi, I'm a newbie and sorry I haven't introduced myself yet but we've got a problem.
    We bought our 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.2 100 multijet based Swift Sundance 580PR in July. We left home today and noticed that the injection system failure light was on. I phoned our dealer and was told to take it in to be checked out.
    My other half has read something about unplugging the ECU and plugging it back in - does anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Our MH has the same engine. We learned from a Fiat agent, earlier this year, if the injection failure light comes on stop and start the engine four times, because there may not be a permanent problem. We had stalled ours earlier in the day and that, apparently, had caused the fault indication.
    Hope yours is as simple an issue.

3. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Thanks for your reply.
    We've taken the van back to our storage farm as we're doing some building work at the house and there's no room for it at the moment on the drive.
    I read that dirty fuel might cause it and that could have been the problem as it was ok until we put fuel in yesterday - so he put some diesel injector cleaner in and run it for a few miles to the farm. We'll take it out tomorrow and hopefully that will have helped, fingers crossed.

We only bought it end of July and haven't had chance to go anywhere yet.

4. acting_strange

acting_strange

This light can be brought on by all kinds of things....the wiring to the injector will cause this problem....mine has been on for ages now but the van shows no signs of problems....do an internet search for ducato engine warning light and have a read...

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont forget....any warning lights on the dash which shouldnt normally be on is an MOT fail.

6. acting_strange

acting_strange

According to my test last week it only concerns certain warning lights....eg airbag etc...not engine...

7. Larby

Larby Funster

Red Light

Most good independant garages will have a diagnostics machine. They won't spank you like a main stealer and you usually won't need an appointment.
    Their machine (usually Snap-On) will normally pin-point the problem and they can fix it cheaper than a main stealer as well!
    You can spend more money trying a fix than paying out for a diagnostic test.

I bought my MH private (2.8, 2005 Ducato) Red light came on over 2800rpm.
    Diagnostics revealed turbo boost problem which translated as stuck spindle on waste gate. Fixed in 1 minute !! Vehicle had stood for several months near to the coast and spindle had seized.

Good luck

8. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Just googled engine warning light and there's a lot, isn't there!
    Hopefully ours will be alright when we check it tomorrow, we're hoping to get away in a few days time. Also want to go to the motorhome show next weekend.
    Thank you all for your replies.:thumb:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the same light came on in my car a few weeks ago.

it went into 'limp' mode....50mph max with foot to floor and erratic gear changes (automatic box)

because of many known electronic problems with the Chrysler 300C i carry an OBD II diagnostic tool in the back.

plugged it in and read the code, which indicated throttle control valve (the light doesnt mean injector fault, it means a fuel related fault).
    cleared the fault code and the car's run fine ever since.

10. marjohn

marjohn Read Only Funster

hello there we have got i fiat ducato2.8 what they found was a wire broken under the engine that seamed to cure it wish you luck marjohn:Smile::Smile:

11. marjohn

marjohn Read Only Funster

hello there how much is obd11 diagnostic tool cost many thanks marjohn:Smile::Smile:

12. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Just wondering, does anyone know where the ECU is on a 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.2. other half still wants to try unplugging then replugging it.

13. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Any funsters in Cornwall, or visiting are welcome to pop round for diagnostics. On the basis that you come to me, it will be free!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Larby

Larby Funster

It would be better to disconnect the battery and leave the lead off for 10 minutes. Just the negative lead will do, which is always first and last to prevent shorting the battery to ground

• Like Like x 1
  15. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

16. carken

carken Read Only Funster

We've tried stop and start, hasn't made any difference, light's still on.
    We're insured with Safeguard and got AA cover so I've just phoned them and they're coming out to check it.

17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It could be the injector loom being too short, which did plague that age. They susually extend it, it may be the problem - nothing wrong with asking the AA man to push it on a bit harder and see if it puts the light out. It may be something more serious - but worth a try.

18. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Just did as you said, Larby, and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and it worked. Thank you for that. I phoned the AA and cancelled so they didn't have a wasted trip.
    Thank you all for your help.:thumb:

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if the light comes back on again, get it checked as ignoring a fault could lead to more damage being caused.

i too have an obd2 code reader which only cost £15 to reset fault codes and service indicator. however any code that comes back immediately indicates there really is a fault present

20. carken

carken Read Only Funster

Thanks Big1, we'll keep an eye on it.