information about airbrushing or painting on the van (1 Viewer)

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
HI everyone

I wonder of this has been discussed.

Does anyone have any expertise or advice on the possible problems which may occur in having airbrushing or painting on a van ?

e.g. scenes, faces or words etc.

We have all seen them, some look really good etc.

Any comments would be of interest.

spud :thumb:

ned

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
van graphics

Hi Spud,

I have done some airbrushing onto panel vans and motorhomes much against my best instinct!!!!!!!. I used to do a lot of racing boats etc and hence the request for MH and commercial vehicles. The reason I say this is that any airbrushing design will require a complete rub down and respray when you come to sell your van. Unless you are very lucky people don't have the same taste as you do and so you will reduce the resale value of your van considerably or incur a £1000 cost of rectifying your artwork. You often see older vehicles, especially large panel vans, with quite complex graphics which is why they have reached a deterioration in value which makes little difference to its resale price. If you must put old indians, eagles, western scenes on your van then get a 'stickon' graphics company to do you one as, with a hairdrier you can heat up the plastic film and carefully peel away the graphic without damaging the paintwork but you will have to clean it, rub down with1600 wet and dry and then polish it back to its original sheen to maintain its value.

I hope I have put you off.......but its true............ Ned

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Listen to the man ! He knows of what he speaks ::bigsmile:

Apart from anything else the cost will be greatly reduced, the firm supplying should be able to supply ANY graphics you want ( or you can design your own and get them to posh it up for you ) and they can usually fit them for you in a day.

I have had my Smart Car done as a shark ( the whole sides are done ! ) cos I run Jaws Motorcycles and it is a company vehicle :thumb: Cost me £350 for the whole car to be done..
I use a company called Giant Marcom here in Thetford, but I bet if you ask around you will be able to find someone local to you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
they do look impressive.
Only thing i would say that if you damage the van in the area of the artwork it will cost a lot more to repair. Just something to consider.

Phill

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As already mentioned,, selling on and damage might be a problem,,

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago regarding, I think they were vinyl pictures etc, and some looked very nice.

This would be one road to go down, then if MH is sold and the new owner did not want them they can be peeled off with the help of a hair dryer..

But even with the vinyl stickers the paintwork can fade and when stickers removed you are left with the outline, which can be nearly impossible to polish out. :RollEyes:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Think this was the link I was on about,, have a look,, :thumb: