Info needed Redmoss hotel/truck stop M74 (1 Viewer)

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi Everyone
We are newbies and would like to know if we are usually welcome to overnight at truck stops. We will be traveling to Scotland this Thursday heading for the Fort William area and above. The redmoss truck stop looks about the right distance for us to pull over for the night. We will purchase food and drink whilst there, can anyone advise please

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
cant see why not but i wouled go on to lockirbie or moffat which is easy to park in the town

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can't see why not either .. better than paying though the nose to overnight at a motorway service station.

I guess you have seen this link ?

Link Removed

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Just remember at truck stops you will have vehicles in and out all night,also in certain areas there will be refrigerated motors running all night (trust me I was a truck driver for 20 years)
Obviously in a motorhome you've got your own facilities so try somewhere just off the M74/A74 like Crawford ..if you go to park in a truck stop they WILL charge you to park up!!

Last edited:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
There is a pub in Beatock village which encourages motorhomes to stay the night if occupants are eating in the pub. Very quiet. I am sure I entered it in the database of that other forum!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
cant see why not but i wouled go on to lockirbie or moffat which is easy to park in the town

from Jim's link it is at Abington, this is further North than Lockerbie & Moffat

There is a newish truck stop just N of J19 off the M74 with a cafe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Ok it appears that truck stops are out, easy to park at lockirbie or moffat! the problem is that i may have been able to get to redmoss area about 9-9.30pm so to go further i would need to know were i was going so i could be sure of where i was parking for the night.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Nice Pies !!!

Ok it appears that truck stops are out, easy to park at lockirbie or moffat! the problem is that i may have been able to get to redmoss area about 9-9.30pm so to go further i would need to know were i was going so i could be sure of where i was parking for the night.

Moffat every time !!! The steak pies in the Star Hotel are the best in the World !!!
I will be there on Tuesday night next week !!!.....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

OP
OP
P

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Moffat sounds good, three and a half hours or there abouts, and i love steak pies!
Any suggestions for parking up for the night in Moffat.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Park up in the main car park in the middle of Moffat...I enquired at the local police station the first timeand they said "no problems".
It is a big main street & the parking is in the middle
As quoted previously the best steak & kidney pies were served at the Star Hotel"...:Smile: Between Beatock & Crawford there is a
good wildcamping place on the b7076. It runs from Beattock to Crawford parallel with m 74 and there are lots of little stopovers, and lovely scenery, but Moffat is certainly your best bet.

Last edited:

tco

Free Member
Mar 12, 2008
Rugby
Funster No
MH
C class LP
Exp
This year (2008) is our first
Park up in the main car park in the middle of Moffat...I enquired at the local police station the first timeand they said "no problems".
It is a big main street & the parking is in the middle
As quoted previously the best steak & kidney pies were served at the Star Hotel"...:Smile: Between Beatock & Crawford there is a
good wildcamping place on the b7076. It runs from Beattock to Crawford parallel with m 74 and there are lots of little stopovers, and lovely scenery, but Moffat is certainly your best bet.

I once parked my 7.5 ton truck in the middle of Moffat for the night, (It just fitted between the two carriageways) stayed overnight, nobody bothered at all. This was before the law about "Wild Camping" changed to specifically allow this sort of thing.

Tco

OP
OP
P

pogjones

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the info folks moffat and beyond on Thursday.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just remember at truck stops you will have vehicles in and out all night,also in certain areas there will be refrigerated motors running all night (trust me I was a truck driver for 20 years)

and the heady aroma of 'Gentlemans restroom' in the morning.:winky:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back