Inflatable awnings

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by carhil, Sep 11, 2016.

1. carhil

carhil Funster

I understand how these things fit to the roll out section but how does one seal the sides ? There doesnt seem to be a track for something to slide into. Would I need to retro fit a track of some sort ?
    Any recommendations ?

The factory fitted roll out is a Dometic, van is a an Eldiss 180

Ill happily have chat with my dealer but any tips and advice here ?

Thank you

2. carhil

carhil Funster

I meant to say. Id like a drive away awning.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Any drive away awning is not going to be sealed to the van persay by its very nature
    most if not all drive
    aways have an elasticated side system that merely follows the shape where it can of the van and is pegged slightly under the van to help it do this
    I don't believe A drive away does use the roll out awning as you seem to be suggesting the accuracy of returning to the same spot is hard enough without making it mm accurate
    G

4. carhil

carhil Funster

Cheers Geo

I will try and locate the video I saw recently. ( cant find at mo ) but there was an adaptor piece so the inflatable awning didnt fit directly to the roll out. As I remember the adaptor simply pulls out when you want to drive away, thus separating the MoHo and infaltable. When re-attaching it didnt need to be MM perfect but just about in line.
    I will try find the clip in my history.

5. carhil

carhil Funster

ah, found it in my youtube..

6. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

I am tempted by the idea of a blow-up drive-away awning but after reading the relevant posts here I have made a decision to wait and see.

The manufacturers' videos/stills all show a nice snug fit down the wall next to the van but the reality of funster pics seem to show a different story with gaps varying between not too bad and probably acceptable to omg !! I could park another MH in there.

Perhaps I will have a snoop around at Lincoln and ask a few of you for your experience (of awnings I mean) but I suspect that my wait and see will be supplemented by another wait and see.

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit.

7. Louis

Louis Funster

Drive away awnings can be secured to roll out awnings, or to a rail that's fitted aftermarket. You are provided with a 2" wide reflective tape to secure the length of motorhome so that you can gauge your original position on return, it's not difficult

8. Vanderek

Vanderek Funster

On our last two trips with the inflatable awning we have put it on the pitch so as to enjoy the view - i.e. used it unattached and sited away from the motor home - makes it easy.