Inflatable awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Jandek, May 30, 2016.

1. Jandek

Jandek Funster

We are thinking of getting an inflatable awning for our Autotrail Apache. Looked at some at the shows but would really like to hear any opinions or advice. Plan to use in Spain so needs to be decent material that will withstand sun. Thanks

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think they are a constantly improving product, we have a Kampa Air XL, it is heavy and puts quite a strain on the awning when extended to fit

I am seriously considering a lightweight awning with flexible poles to replace it at a fraction of the price we paid

edit, ours is nearly 4 years old

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and that's your biggest challenge..

I've seem many awnngs almost in shreds after a full season in the sun... and I've had several that have succumbed to the UV .. they all do eventually .. so I don't think there is such an animal..

as to your question.. I've just bought the Kampa Rally Air Pro and am very impressed by quality of the tube and awing materials.. and how easy it is to erect.. as said.. it is quite heavy.. but much easier to put up than one with a bag of poles like a Rubiks cube.. .. otherwise known as a divorce in a bag..

not had a chance to use in anger yet, I need to fit an awning rail as my wind out awning is too far back to have the Kampa over the hab door..

this was a trial and not pegged out, and you can see the problem

DSCF2324.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jandek

Jandek Funster

Thanks. Seems to be a bit of a mine field and also what could be expensive mistakes!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Our Kampa Air Rally inflatable awning withstood the worst weather that the Spanish winter could subject it to. It endured a 24 hour deluge of torrential rain which resulted in local flooding. It also withstood strong winds gusting at 70 - 80 mph. It stood solid as a rock for five months. I am very impressed and pleased with it.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We have a Vango Kella tall inflatable, drive away, used it for a month in Portsmouth last summer no problems. Works best when used as a stand alone as it can be noisy when it's windy, and would have concerns about damage to van if attached to wind out in even moderate winds.
    Quick and easy to put up can position it unattached close to any door. (and little noise when unattached)
    FB_20150815_19_07_18_Saved_Picture.jpg
    Pic is it attached at York Marina, but rarely use this way now, preferring it free standing.

Lin :)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Tykatem

Tykatem Funster

We also have the Kampa Rally Air Pro ours is the 260L 2015 model weight 18kgs It's so easy to erect, we extend the awning rail out just an inch or two and feed the bead in, this can then be pulled across easily standing on the ground, then all it requires is about 4 mins pumping air into the beams (a 12v electric pump can be used) then peg out.
    We're well pleased with it and seems a quality item.

Pete

• Like Like x 2
  8. Frankie

Frankie Funster

Hi, have ordered the vango galli tall from @johns cross, not received yet so cant comment on it. Looks like good piece of kit, it runs parallel to van so can fit in smaller pitches. We also had the vango kella which we liked but lost in a house fire a while ago.

Frankie

9. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Whilst discussing inflatable ones, does anyone have one where the zips open to to bottom?
    That's one annoyance with ours you have to unzip the sides including fly screen from bottom to top so no option of having them unzipped to finish about waist height, with the dogs it would be a lot easier when it's hot to be able to keep the lower half zipped to stop them wandering out. If could find one like ours that zipped other way would change, other than that very happy with it.

10. scotjimland

yes.. the Kampa front panel zip gliders are at the top, you can roll the panel down to half way .. veranda style

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Ah great, thanks will take a look, other option is I'm wondering if @Terry amazing seamstress friend might be able to change our zips to two way ones?

12. scotjimland

yes.. I guess anything is possible with a Singer :D

zips may be expensive though..

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Yes, she might be able to reuse them just turn them upside down? Not sure:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dawsden

Dawsden Read Only Funster

We brought ours after struggling with old one....2 hrs later and we was nowhere near managing to put it up The inflatable was up in minutes...just fab. Unfortunately, we have now upgrade our van and its too short for the new one....only used it once:devil:

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Lin been away at Thetford with no signal since Thursday so only just catching up --Not seen Julie yet but I would think it should be an easy enough job -She buys zips on a roll and puts her own pull/zip ends on /2 ends is not unusual but heavy zipper/zips she would have to order in -only keeps stuff for cushions -Will mention it to her when I see her in the morning -
    terry

16. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Great thanks Terry :)

17. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Hi
    We opted for the Quest Aquilla and are very happy with it.
    Single room, good size tunnel, low height fits my Benimar 286 perfectly, picture ofit on another post in awnings, posted about 3 weeks ago.
    T

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jandek

Jandek Funster

Thanks for all your replies. We really like the Kampa air rally pro 390. Only query is our fiamma awning is 240 cm at front and 245 at back. The Kampa awning is 250cm. Might sound daft question but would it work if we raised that side on levellers to 250 ?Only thing would be would have to use 4 levellers or would be tilting sideways. Just trying to imagine it...

19. Speve

Speve Funster

We have just bought a Kampa Air pro CL it fits up to our windout at 2700

20. scotjimland

5 cm is only a couple of inches.... the height isn't that critical .. The L: fits 250 - 265 cm .. so I don't think it would be a problem,..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1