Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Ok so I am trying to embrace safety in the new van, so when I fitted my invertor I put a fuse loop in on the +ve feed and put a 100 amp fuse in as my toaster pulls 70 amps.
I then took a lead from the Earth on the invertor casing and took it back to the -ve of the battery as that's also connected to the 230v Earth of the chassis. So covers all bases
Then finally I put a garden rcd on the 230v outlet.......

Have I made it safe?
Could it be safer?

Thanks in advance.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The earth from the inverter should go to the chassis directly rather than the battery as the battery cable has a secondary connection to the engine and chassis.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The earth from the inverter should go to the chassis directly rather than the battery as the battery cable has a secondary connection to the engine and chassis.
Inverter output is isolated there is not even a connection to the earth pin on the mains output socket. The chassis is only connected to the 12v negative so waste of time running a connection from case to chassis earth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I must comment, why run a toaster off an inverter, what's the point of hammering your batteries like that when you can get the same end result using gas.
I agree Lenny, but in my experience a toaster toasts whereas a gas grill dries out and lightly burns the bread.
I like my toast brown and slightly moist, if I want crispy bread I'll fry it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I agree Lenny, but in my experience a toaster toasts whereas a gas grill dries out and lightly burns the bread.
I like my toast brown and slightly moist, if I want crispy bread I'll fry it.
Agree if you use the useless grill, we don't bother with the grill use one of these instead.

93364.jpg

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Agree if you use the useless grill, we don't bother with the grill use one of these instead.

93364.jpg

We have one of those too, it's excellent. Used it this morning. Could have used the electric toaster as we're currently on EHU, but prefer the gas thingy.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Inverter output is isolated there is not even a connection to the earth pin on the mains output socket. The chassis is only connected to the 12v negative so waste of time running a connection from case to chassis earth.
Well mine has an earth point on the inverter casing.
Earthing anything metal to metal is never a waste of time otherwise why bother earthing sinks and gas pipes?
Double insulated is only any good if it is not damaged.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well mine has an earth point on the inverter casing.
Earthing anything metal to metal is never a waste of time otherwise why bother earthing sinks and gas pipes?
Double insulated is only any good if it is not damaged.
I concede to your wisdom, agreed if you have an earth terminal might as well use it.

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Folks
The toaster is great and does a good job been using it for years. I understand it hammers the batteries but to me it's worth it.
The big question is this earth leAd.....
My understanding is if there is a small short to to the casing the earth would normally feed that back to the negative via the earth which means there is a in balance in the output and return in the rcd so it trips!
How is this achieved on a inverter and should we be worried bout the 12 or 230 volts?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back