Indulge me please - planning a trip to Greece in FOUR years (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Yes, I could be dead by then but please indulge my bit of forward planning. I love Greece, the Greek people and everything about it. Just how viable is it to take a Motorhome there? I have looked at Ferry prices from Venice and having seen them, wonder if an overland route is a suitable alternative. There will be no hurry. If it takes a week or even a fortnight to get there and get back it doesn't matter. I realise the overland route will take me out of the EU. Will that make a significant difference to insurance? Also would the Pet Passport scheme be compromised by being out of the EU? Anybody done it? Any blogs to read?

Steve

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Indulge you? I'd love to do it. I think the only place that would worry me would be Albania but I really don't have any substantive knowledge. I look forward to seeing what more knowledgeable people will say. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
HI and welcome .am sorry can't help you as iv only just got permission to go out of the country and thas on a tag:winky::winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes, I could be dead by then but please indulge my bit of forward planning. I love Greece, the Greek people and everything about it. Just how viable is it to take a Motorhome there? I have looked at Ferry prices from Venice and having seen them, wonder if an overland route is a suitable alternative. There will be no hurry. If it takes a week or even a fortnight to get there and get back it doesn't matter. I realise the overland route will take me out of the EU. Will that make a significant difference to insurance? Also would the Pet Passport scheme be compromised by being out of the EU? Anybody done it? Any blogs to read?

Steve

Surely the way to go would be down to Brindisi (Citi di Castello) from memory, enjoying all that Italy has to offer. There are regular Ferrys from there across to Corfu and every hour from Corfu to the mainland.

Corfu down to Prevezza at least two per day, I have used the Prevezza ferry when I yacht chartered out there and there were motor-homes aboard then... All in the EU too.

If you want any Drachma, I still have a few..........Griff

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Why not think of doing what we did, two years ago we did a three week tour of Greece, but to make it easy on our selves we went with GB Privilege, really excellent tour taking in places we would never have found ourselves. Then of course when the tour finishes, you can stay on as long as you want and keep on exploring Greece, then spend another month wondering though Italy on the way back.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Indulge you? I'd love to do it.
Ivy

I think it's all too easy to equate cost/effort/distance to quality.

Is it really worth driving all those miles ? Just what extra do you get for your huge effort that you would not get in, say, Italy.

If you want parched barren land head for Zaragoza.

Just a thought !!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I had no idea of cost so just looked up Venice - Mainland Greece, return for two passengers in a 6-7mt camper without cabin. 720 euros return.

I still think Brindisi to Corfu then Corfu to Igoumenitsa would be cheaper, but no schedules yet...........Griff

ps...Brian's suggestion of looking up "Madge" was worthwhile, he was the master at this........and Brian doesn't give out duff advice himself (often).....:winky:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We have done Greece twice and loved it both times.

The first time we went from Venice to Igouminetsa with Minoan Lines. The second time we went Ancona to Igouminestsa with Anek lines.

Both times we used the camping on board option where you stay in your motorhome on deck with ehu too. It works out a lot cheaper than the cabin option, but usually you have to book early to get this option.

Its not used in the winter months.

We priced up the mileage route going through the balkans etc and it worked out cheaper and less hassle for us to do it the way we did.

There are some that have taken the Balkans route, but Albania can be trouble with insurance and bad drivers.

Greece is such a beautiful country with lots of different touring available, Cultural, mountains, sea etc.

Wiild camping options too, although in peak summer its harder as if the camping places are open they police will be involved in moving you on and you will be pushed into using camping places. We have done both, and find a mixture of both works well. Some restaurants offer a free night to stay on their land if you eat there etc.

We also did some of the islands Lefkada and Kefalonia, the ferry to Kefalonia isnt cheap but we found it to be a wonderful place to stay.

Don madge is a great source of info, his away in Turkey at the moment.

Have fun
Pat

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The question is it worth it yes, it was beautiful and different, the one thing I would say is don't expect main land Greece to be the same as the Islands the people on the main land are not as friendly as the Islanders we found, Athens we have been three times a wonderful city, but becomeing quite a threatening place to walk around, the underground is a nightmare to travel on my conclusion is I would not like to go back to Athens again which is a great shame.

But the scenery was spectacular we got down the Southern Pelapanese Gythio / Monemvasia / Mycenae/ Delfi/Corenth Canal and so much more. We went in April and the wild flowers were spectacular and camping in the Lemon and Olive groves, the perfume in the morning wafting around brilliant.

Attachments

• CIMG3176 (800x600).jpg
    CIMG3176 (800x600).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010605 (800x600).jpg
    P1010605 (800x600).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010557 (800x600).jpg
    P1010557 (800x600).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010623 (800x600).jpg
    P1010623 (800x600).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010914 (800x600).jpg
    P1010914 (800x600).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 14

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Anybody done it? Any blogs to read?

Steve

I steve if you look at our blog there are the two trips we did to Greece, not in depth blogs though.

You could also look at Europe By Camper <blog@europebycamper.com>;
They did Greece recently and loved it too.

our blog is at the end of our postings

Pat

Greece photos of 2009 here

Greece 2010 blog here

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I think it's all too easy to equate cost/effort/distance to quality.

Is it really worth driving all those miles ? Just what extra do you get for your huge effort that you would not get in, say, Italy.

If you want parched barren land head for Zaragoza.

Just a thought !!

A very interesting post and one that certainly got me thinking. Actually, in this case, I believe, yes, it is worth driving all those miles. I do love Greece but taking into account what another poster points out, the Greek people on the mainland are not the same as the Islanders, which is where we have experience (but not as Motorhomers). When we bought a Motorhome it was to do things we hadn't done before and to explore Greece which is (at least) one of the birthplaces of civilisation, is one of those goals.

But to get back to Hilldwellers point, I would never leave England, never mind Wales or Scotland if I wanted to explore everywhere. I can't, that is the point, so I would like to achieve what is achievable for us. Distance does not equate to quality but I believe Greece may well be worth the extra mile (or thousand)

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back