Indicator problems Hymer B544 (1 Viewer)

Olliekuma

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Motorhome A Class
Exp
Since1990
I am having problems with my indicators on a 1992 Hymer B544. The hazard flashers work but the direction indicators are just not functioning. The internal fan also stopped at the same time. I am having problems tracing the problem as I don't have a wiring diagram to refer to. Could anyone help with advice please. Thanks . Tony

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Tony, it sounds like a simple blown fuse.

I recently had the reverse in that I had indicators and no 4way. I had checked all the fuses. and they looked OK, in a hurry I thought I could live without the 4way for a while and delayed my investigation as I was going to a show. At the show we discovered it was a fuse; the blown one had passed my quick inspection and just didn't look blown, looking more closely it clearly was. That's when I noticed that it protects another circuit as well! I'd done the trip to the show with no brake lights. :Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Police Informed:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Olliekuma

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Motorhome A Class
Exp
Since1990
Hymer Indicator problems

Thanks for the reply Jim.I did look at the fuses but could not see any problems, but after ferreting around and getting no where I decided to look at the fuses again. There was a slight gap in a fuse and I had missed it Replaced the fuse and everything is ok again. But the problem might be still there , why did the fuse blow in the first place ? I can put it down to having the blower on full bore and having the indidcators on at the same time. But why then, I ask myself ?Many thanks for the prompt Jim.Tony

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Couple of things.. Believe it otr not, fuses can simply fail through age, esp automotive ones.. No real explanation other than a few firms fit fuses that are VERY close to their limit

The fuse you replaced, what value is it ?

I fan alone can draw 5 to 7 amps if it is a biggy.. Add three 21W bulbs ( fore, aft and repeater ) that is another 5 amps.. If the fuse fitted is a 10 amp I would suggest you replace it with a 15.. Even that will be close to the edge.
The old rule of thumb for automotive fuses was 'add it up, double it, and fit that', so in this example a 20amp fuse would not be considered outrageous !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I go through quite a few fuses. Some are inexplicable as to why they just blow, and then are ok for months, but I'm happy they are doing their job. Glad you got it sorted :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One of my German sources told me, as he was translating some of my German manual for me, that it is common on German vehicles to have the brake lights on the same fuse as the horn... so you can check the fuse by blowing the horn... if the horn doesn't work there is a good chance your brake lights don't either...

My old Hymer has the old round bayonet type fuses and are always needing cleaning to make good connections...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
O

Olliekuma

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Motorhome A Class
Exp
Since1990
Hymer fuses

Hi Mr JawsThanks for that useful hint re fuse values.The fuse that blew was a 15amp, so replaced it with the same, but after what you said maybe I could go up a notch. It is strange how fuses sometimes blow for some inexplicable reason or maybe there is a reason. Perhaps the sparkies out there could explain it. Again many thanks.Tony

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Indicator problems Hymer B544

You've got hands, haven't you ? Use them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mr JawsThanks for that useful hint re fuse values.The fuse that blew was a 15amp, so replaced it with the same, but after what you said maybe I could go up a notch. It is strange how fuses sometimes blow for some inexplicable reason or maybe there is a reason. Perhaps the sparkies out there could explain it. Again many thanks.Tony
Cheap Chinese fuses.....I can buy a box of 80 assorted fuses for a couple of quid....but half wont work at all and the other half will fail in no time.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Fuses are similar to light bulbs they go for years then suddenly pop, i was informed that both have current passing through them constantly getting hot/cold this causing a degree of brittleness which causes the break in the weak point

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back