Indian and Chinese takeaway cooking

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by kex66, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kex66

kex66 Read Only Funster

I've been cooking for many years now and have a passion for reproducing the flavours of Indian and Chinese takeaways.

The two sites that have really brought my cooking skills forward are:

Chinese Cooking - http://www.khoanvong.com/

Indian Cooking - http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish/videos

You need to make the "base gravy" first for the Indian cooking but it's well worth the effort:thumb:

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 5
  2. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

About 10 years ago I was invited "behind the scenes" in my local Indian take away to cook my own curry. A lot of it is pre/semi-prepared to speed things up so cooking these from scratch often involves lots of pans, packs of spices and so forth and not always practical in the van.

A little trick I use for the motorhome is Laziza spice mixes. I'm fortunate enough to have a shop which sells these relatively locally for 99p a pack but you can buy them online too (below). There is nothing in them but dry spices in the correct quantities for the curry that you're making. Just add Ghee (essential), onions, garlic, ginger (or Laziza garlic ginger paste) fresh tomatoes and chills.

I spend all summer making Seekeh Kebabs, Tandori Chicken and Lamb and Masala Fish on the Cadac.

http://www.abubakarstore.co.uk/adva...words=Laziza+&search_in_description=1&x=4&y=9

I love curry!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

i have my own Chinese Take-away, She is called Jinxia :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 8
  4. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

A man after my own heart!! I love cooking curries and when I was last in Goa I was invited in to the kitchen of a beach shack and allowed to film my favourite curry being made so I could do it myself when we got home. It was an amazing experience. We also bought packets of chicken xacuti powder to which I just have to add onions, tomatoes and chicken. It makes an amazingly tasty curry. We are back in Goa in March, just in time as I am on my last packet of powder :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

We have a Malaysian Tamil Son in Law.
    He cooks both.
    Best of both worlds.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Actifty.

Cook chicken, add onions, add patak extra hot paste tin of tomatoes job done..

My local Indian takeaway uses Patak...:Doh:

Also 99% of All UK Indian restaurants are run by Bengalis and I suspect that in all Bengali homes the men of the house would need TomTom to find the kitchen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Also the Chinese food that is served in the UK is mainly Cantonese, well roughly based on that, not anywhere close to 'real Chinese food', I have been to China and had friends who ran a restaurant and when they invited me to go there for a meal 'after hours' if was nothing like what they sell to the punters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

We get some packets from a place on the Isle of Skye. If you google Skye Batiks the shop will come up. The curry mixes are excellent.:Smile:

9. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Mmmmmmmm I loves curry, eating it and cooking it, but remember any dried spices go stale quickly, so good excuse (if one were needed) to do a massive batch curry cook off and freeze it.

Interested in cadac curry, bought one off Tonka last year haven't taken it out the box yet.:Doh:

10. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

Can't go wrong with Rick Stein's 'India'. All authentic recipes he learned from locals in small villages when touring India. I've been cooking indian food for very long time and this book has produced amazing stuff. Just over a tenner.........:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  11. snowdrops

12. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I too love curry and have been trying to get that elusive takeaway taste. A great little book ideal for the Motorhome, 'the Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon. Can be picked up for £5 or less on Amazon, great tips on base gravy and the recipes for loads of dishes to make from it by addition of further spices. Excellent book.:Wink:
    Got me hungry just talking about it.
    Ps he also does a Chinese takeaway secret, also good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We bought a copy of the "Korma Sutra":Laughing:........no joking! It contains loads of curry recipe secrets from a chain of Indian restaurants (the Ashoka chain) in Glasgow:thumb: It was about a fiver, but don't think it's available any longer.
    Margaret

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

There is a Chinese place in Pembroke that does the best special curry ( chicken, pork and prawn) that I have ever tasted. I went there on Saturday and it was fantastic. Try as I might, no other Chinese restaurant I have visited ever comes close. if I could get their recipe I would look like special curry ( and a tank possibly):BigGrin:

15. kex66

kex66 Read Only Funster

I buy this base curry sauce from the local Wing Yip warehouse here in Manchester. Takes about an hour of gentle simmer then it's ready. Saw empty 1kg buckets of the stuff at my favorite takeaway so knew it was the right product.

https://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/p-8168-cooks-curry-concentrate-chinese.aspx

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowdrops

You can also get it on markets and farm shops usually. They do Madras, Hot and another one. Handy for a very quick curry chinese style. Nowhere near interesting for indian tho.

17. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

We bought a copy of the[HI] "Korma Sutra"........no joking! It contains loads of curry recipe secrets[/HI]

seriously, should have gone to specsavers, it didn't say 'Chow Mein'. :Rofl1: