Increasing my MH weight limit, what are the ramifications?

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by Diamondcub, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Diamondcub

Diamondcub Funster

I am thinking of Increasing my MH weight limit to enable me to carry a scooter and I was wondering what the ramifications are? I'm currently 3.5 Ton and well below the 70 year age limit. I would like to be able to leave my MH for day outings as it is 6.95m so I feel getting a scooter will be better than trying to fit into spaces in towns.
    Will it cost more to insure, Road tax, tolls etc. I travel extensively in Europe.
    I don't want to tow but do not have sufficient payload currently and I am a single driver.
    If you are able to assist in my decision making I would be very grateful, thank you.

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I upped my last van from 3.5 to 3.7 I used SV Tech in Leyland it's just a paper exersise. Reduction in Tax has it is then PHG . you need to inform Ins mine didn't charge extra tolls shouldn't be any different. If you increase extra tyres and suspension come into the picture. Pete

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Speed limits, and ability to drive certain roads and bridges with 3.5t limits.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diamondcub

Diamondcub Funster

Thanks Pete, not sure what you mean by extra tyres & suspension though?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

tyres are rated for certain weights up the limit and you MAY have to change the tyres, same in some cases with the suspension. What weight does the manufactures plat state and what is on your logbook

• Like Like x 3
  6. webby1

webby1 Funster

We increased from 3500 to 3850 using SVtech and costing I think £260. We had to have air suspension fitted but you will need to be sure that you have sufficient rear axle capacity especially carrying a scooter. Changing tyres from 215 to 225 enabled the rear axle to go to 2240 I think.

SVtech will tell you what is possible......BUT I have read of other companies who will do the paperwor,k which I would support, as it brings a little more competition to this" money for old rope market/monopoly"

• Like Like x 2
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ours was uprated to 3800 before we bought her and had air suspension fitted.

• Like Like x 1