Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Had a spot of damp :( ......... on the headboard above one of the rear beds. The warranty from Lincoln Leisure is based on a comprehensive commercial warranty, but is their own and, they claim, they will cover any qualifying problem rather than try to find a way to avoid paying out.

When we bought 'Henry' last month Lincoln Leisure told us that they didn't expect us to make a 400 miles round trip to deliver, and possibly collect, the van to/from them for treatment. They arranged for a dealer here in Kent to inspect and report on any faults.

So they arranged for this 'local' dealer to inspect the damp, identify the source and report back. This was done last Friday, when they found that the nearside, high level, rear marker light was letting in water that had stained the headboard. Lincoln Leisure immediately authorised the work, including refitting the corresponding rear marker light on the offside. A replacement headboard has been ordered (pricey!) but will take 6-8 weeks to arrive. We have the van back in the meantime. Very pleased with the warranty support (y)

The only black mark is for the local dealer. I asked them whether they could re-fit the three Hymer (Fiamma) cycle rack brackets in case they are weathering as well. They've emailed me a quote for 4 hours work at £82.60 an hour. I guess that that includes materials but ............. seriously?

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Does anyone know what the "normal" hourly rate should be? I may try one of my more local dealers for a quote.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just added them to the directory. Please rate and review them there.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't think 4 hours work, including odds & sods, for £82 sounds too bad for dealer rates.

Edit - I obviously misread, I saw that as a the price for the job, not £82 per hour. Its been a long day, almost time to escape work... ;)
Didn't he mean £82 per hour ... ie over £320 total?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
The only black mark is for the local dealer. I asked them whether they could re-fit the three Hymer (Fiamma) cycle rack brackets in case they are weathering as well. They've emailed me a quote for 4 hours work at £82.60 an hour. I guess that that includes materials but ............. seriously?
which local dealer?

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
which local dealer?

Didn't want to publicly name them tbh, but about two thirds of the way from me to you :whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does anyone know what the "normal" hourly rate should be? I may try one of my more local dealers for a quote.

Could be anything.
I know one who is 60/hour + vat another who charges 40 for general mechanical work , 60 for electrical & 72/hour for anything to do with water all + vat .

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Lowdham Leisure quoted 4 hours at £90 per hour to replace the gas struts on my drop down bed - guess what - not going to get the job.:(

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If your technicians are highly qualified and always being updated with courses from manufacturers then the rate is correct. Somehow I do not think undoing some bolts and re sealing the gasket is a highly qualified job.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Lowdham Leisure quoted 4 hours at £90 per hour to replace the gas struts on my drop down bed - guess what - not going to get the job.:(

Pete replaced ours just yesterday - one had gone and leaked oil so he replaced both having ordered them from SGS and delivered by courier yesterday morning and AFAIK charged himself nowt to fit them. Took him a lot longer to move everything out from under the bed (the 'french' bed at the rear of the van, over a largish side locker) - in order to have room to apply the spanner - then clean inside the locker and put it all back, than it did to sort the struts!

Didn't find any Rolexes etc that we'd mislaid though .....:whistle:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We had to get our electric step replaced recently and our dealership agreed to pay locally. Bristol Caravans did it for £40 for 1 hours work on a Saturday. And we got a nice coffee while we waited. Excellent work and at a great price :).

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
The replacement of my gas struts is going to be done by Hambilton Engineering, I know I can trust them to do a good job, apparently it is more difficult on post 2006 Hymer's than older ones.m

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'll have to check where you are on the map :rofl:
TN32 5JJ just past or before Robertsbridge depending on which direction you are coming, on the A21 but of course we now have the South Eatern Water being a pain in the arse digging up the A21 so avoid rush hours!

Peter

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
TN32 5JJ just past or before Robertsbridge depending on which direction you are coming, on the A21 but of course we now have the South Eatern Water being a pain in the arse digging up the A21 so avoid rush hours!

Peter
I'm a regular in your shop Peter. This work was a warranty job set up by the selling dealer, with their mate in Kent, to save me the 400 miles round trip x 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back