Inconsiderate, Arrogant and Unnecessary (2 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My opinion is that if you can't get by without a genny you need to look at what power you are using rather than run a genny and tailor your use to what you have available. The whole point of camping 'off site' is to have a bit of peace and tranquillity..not to listen to an infernal combustion engine.

im sorry that's just not true,

People will use a genny for what is pertinent to them, we have disabled people, we have skiers in the depths of winter we have people pulling off aires at 06-00 its a mixed world.

Why are your needs or the needs of others more important than yours or mine?

The OP has come back and explained why, and I too would be pissed if that was me, sometimes its how we explain things.

As I said earlier you used to rant about people arriving on aires late, yet that has been something we have always done, Ive just ranted about shiftzz leaving early,

give and take FGS, otherwise motorhoming would be just too damm stressfull.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
But I could say thats really inconsiderate to me? I could start a thread stating that its Inconsiderate, rude, thoughtless and basically you are a twat for doing it.

You starting your engine at 06-00 would piss me right off. It would wake me up for sure, despite how quiet you tried to do it.
Why don't you get lost and park in a layby up the road if you know your going early?

Scotjims, dislike was always people pulling up on an aire gone 10 pm arriving at 1 am and looking for somewhere to park.
We can all find inconsiderate people in what we do, and I dont often take umbridge, but I think the OP suggested that I and anyone that uses a Genny was all the things he mentions,

And that's a Fact, (stolen from Geo) :Blush:

Jeeze who has nicked your sense of reality today?
So pray tell me where I can park in Calais in a layby and be safe?

I was as quiet as I possible could free wheeling as much as I could, that was the best I could do, I had to be 240 miles away by 2:00PM.

I have seen people turn up and use gennies most of the day, the site in Lyon had a plonker who was virtually running a mobile disco from his van and yes he was a Brit.
I have seen Brits 'reserve' spaces on aires for their mates who will be along in about 4 hours, forget everyone else, its just that their needs are greater.

Sometimes people do not look further than their own needs, I did take this into consideration when leaving Calais, and before you jump up and down, vans leave there all the time, day and night, and I thought I was being as considerate as I could.

I also resent the T**T word, there was no need for it...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Come on Jim, my 32" lcd and cinema surround sound with sub-woofer when playing a DVD on my multi region system and also running the microwave to cook the cinema popcorn are necessities of life and need the the genny running :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
First of all I said "I COULD SAY YOU ARE" not "THAT YOU ARE" if I was too, then I would be telling you when I saw you not on a forum :Smile:

So whats the difference? you waking me at 06-00

Me arriving and upsetting Scotjim at Midnight?

Me charging my batteries for a couple of hours between 4 and 6 at night?

all three of us are now Pixxed off, if we want to be?

Deleted User
Well, in terms of threads,

This one takes the biscuit.

I will sell up straight away, bow to your 2/12 years of motorhoming and retire to my house.
Never mind the fact that some of our members have disability scooters, oxygen machines or what ever else.
Never mind the fact that I have an ultra quiet Honda eu10 strapped as far away from others as I can get it and used rarely.

Inconsiderate? I think that should be the title of a thread about this thread?

Arrogant? Why am I arrogant?

Unnecessary? Have you tried skiing a couple of weeks in the Alps with tempretures hitting -20 and only 9 hours of sunshine with a family?

Nothing against some-ones point of view about gennies, but I personally find your thread insulting and aggressive and put across in such an impolite manner.

I do hope your not akin to the manner of your post, if so, I do hope I never have to park alongside you , its not the genny you will need worry about , its the noisy kids :Smile:

Did you bother even reading the original post, sounds to me that you are exactly the sort of person the OP was NOT aiming his comments at !!
I have my own solution, use sites with hookups.

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
We had a very old 1990 motorhome and when at meets we occasionally used our genny. We didnt have the money for the satellite, the solar power etc etc.

We had one small leisure battery and ran the genny occasionally when we needed to when wild camping.

At funster meets gennys have been used to power entertainment and lighting but always turned off at a reasonable time.

We enjoy the fun and mixing with people but we also enjoy quiet time too.

Inconsiderate - well it doesnt have to be about the genny there are plenty of inconsiderate people about

Arrogant - there are plenty of arrogant people about - but have you thought that in your case it could be ignorance? What would be normal for you with the lifestyle you described would certainly not be normal for me.

Unnecessary - I would disagree that a genny is unnecessary in many cases and especially for people with disabilities and other needs it is an absolute requirement

We have been motorhoming longer than you but still consider ourselves beginners, especially having upgraded our old motorhome its like starting all over again.

Personally I think you have quite a few choices

a) Let the steam come out of your ears, fume away and let it it spoil you day but say nothing then either stay or move on

b) Say oh well never mind and get on with enjoying your day and do nothing

c) Confront those who have offended you

now on this you have two choices - you can go up all aggressive have a go and then either move on or stay and put up with whatever happens next which could include the situation escalating and them running the genny longer.

or you can take a cup of tea etc over and chat to your neighbours and explain how what they are doing affects you in a very polite manner so that they believe you are trying to help and educate. Some wont appreciate but my experience is that we all learn from others experiences and many will appreciate it.

I would hate to do something that regularly annoys another person and not even realise it, but then I live in a busy and noisy area. What I sleep through, would wake and disturb those living in the quiet countryside. To me the noise of the gennys at a meet even when lots are running isnt noise, yet to someone who lives in a solitary house with fields all around could find it very noisy and disturbing.

Hope this is helpful

A thought provoking response - thanks. Sadly, my experience across the 19 years (yachts are only motorhomes without wheels - same on-board systems and requirements etc) fly in the face of the reasonable response. My pent-up pressure has been released I'll get back in box and resume my passive state. thanks again

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
im[HI] sorry that's just not true, [/HI]

People will use a genny for what is pertinent to them, we have disabled people, we have skiers in the depths of winter we have people pulling off aires at 06-00 its a mixed world.

Why are your needs or the needs of others more important than yours or mine?

The OP has come back and explained why, and I too would be pissed if that was me, sometimes its how we explain things.

As I said earlier you used to rant about people arriving on aires late, yet that has been something we have always done, Ive just ranted about shiftzz leaving early,

give and take FGS, otherwise motorhoming would be just too damm stressfull.

I said it was an OPINION Paul, ... not a statement of fact... so true or false does not come into it.. we agree to disagree ..

and yes, I did rant about people arriving late on aires and making a noise, doors slamming etc .. someone creeping out at 6am is rarely an issue.. a little noise and they are gone..

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Maybe get a excersice bike with a pedal genny attached--

Then after hogging a big fry up in the morning --hop on and pedal out some amps ,in peace :thumb:
Also, some of the bellys(like mine) :Eeek: i have seen on sites would shrink :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
....Well that was a storm in a tea cup....

Shall we get back to being "Happy" bunch of Campers and friends

....Before some one say`s some thing they regret....

:beer:

:party2:

:hug:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
People are people.

If you choose to park your motorhome alongside a load of other motorhomes, as so many seem to do, then you are going to come across (and park near) genny users and genny haters.

Some genny users are considerate and will bear in mind their neighbours feelings and some won't.

Some genny haters are considerate and understand that others have different needs and views to theirs and some don't.

If someone was parked near me and went without their telly, hairdryer or toast because they didn't want to disturb me with their genny they would be suffering for no reason because I would normally not mind. If it was a bit loud I might turn up the Metallica track though!

Most motorhomers use theirs as leisure vehicles and I reckon they tend to need the extra power as they don't want to go without the "comforts" they are used to in their houses. I also reckon they usually choose campsites with hookups.

People who, like me, use their vans as their home and also avoid campsites as much as possible find that they can live quite comfortably and happily without the need for so much power.

I suggest that if you hate the sound of gennies so much then you should avoid parking where others might be using them or get a great stereo and some quality metal cds.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
UP THE KIPOR i run mine when i need it if you dont like it you can always move your van as you did not ask me if you could park next to me:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My opinion is that if you can't get by without a genny you need to look at what power you are using and tailor your use to what you have available.

Year in year out we see people who forget the "motor" bit and latch on to "home".

"I've not got enough water".
"I can't use my microwave".
"How do I get East Enders ?".
"I need ..........".

So instead of logically working out how to cope they illogically try and make a motorhome a house. You can blame the yanks.

And an easy option is buy a generator.

Without doubt the noise of a stationary engine running ( gennie or main engine ) is the most disruptive thing to a holiday. Even worse than yapping dogs.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I am 51 and have owned motorhomes since I was 28 years old and have owned boats for the last 12 years or so, the last being a 44' Trawler yacht.

I always have generators spec'd the same way as I have solar panels, extra batteries, enhanced charging systems.

My new Gulf Stream has now a 2000w inverter with a 100amp four stage AC charger and I have about 700 Ah of battery capacity for the house.

I think that it is all about consideration to be honest. So many people are not considerate and then think that they have an automatic right to control the environment that they're in because their offended or their enjoyment is being effected.

I am the first to turn things down or off, and really try to be considerate for others, but only to a degree. On a site in France someone (A German not that it matters) had a go at me about noise we weren't making, I told them to "f" off. I then started the genny, put the air con con and out some music on, really quite loud. After ten minutes I turned everything back off and walked over asking "was that the noise you were complaining about? "No?" "Ah so it wasn't me then, so you'll be apologising!

A mumbled apology was uttered but the point was how dare he decide that he was right, that his choices of what should and shouldn't be allowed dictate to the site?

We all have to put up with things. Children, dogs, arguing, smoking, looking at people wearing the same dirty clothes for days on end, people with yellow teeth with a film of mucus, smokey BBQ's Generators, "beeping" for hours on end as some one insists on using their satellite finder when it plainly isn't going to work the list is endless.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of running a generator on a sunny morning, but if I get up and it is blowing a gale and torrential rain I would if I wanted to. I certainly wouldn't walk around bothering people with in a "straw pole" to ask if I was allowed!

As as already been said, up in the Alps we run the genny a lot, equally I expect that if we toured Morocco we probably wouldn't use it.

There is no right or wrong other than the need for a bit of give and take on both side and consideration on both sides and an eye on the weather and the location.

I say location as I will happily leave the genny on and the AC on in a Hypermarket car park to ensure my dogs are comfortable, why shouldn't I?

Equally I have parked in a field as far away as possible from everyone else in our last RV along with our mates in another RV only to find on our return from a pub lunch a tent parked almost under one of our slide outs for shade. So in a virtually deserted field of some I would guess 6 acres we have a tent under the van.

We laughed but didn't really care, until the tenter knocked on the door complaining that he could hear our TV through the open window (which was actually above his tent!)

I pointed out that it wasn't TV it was in fact the brand new series of Dr Who which is why we had walked back from the pub in the first place! and that if he didn't want to listen to it he could either join us and watch it and he said, before I got to option two, He said " I don't go camping to watch TV"

So he got option two:winky: and huffily moved!

Chill peoples

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Year in year out we see people who forget the "motor" bit and latch on to "home".

"I've not got enough water".
"I can't use my microwave".
"How do I get East Enders ?".
"I need ..........".

So instead of logically working out how to cope they illogically try and make a motorhome a house. You can blame the yanks.

And an easy option is buy a generator.

Without doubt the noise of a stationary engine running ( gennie or main engine ) is the most disruptive thing to a holiday. [HI]Even worse than yapping dogs.[/HI]

Oh no it isn't...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
The thing is with "Yappy" dogs...

You can kick them in the goolies and change the tone... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
I don’t own a genny

In 3.5 years of motor homing I have never seen one in use

Ditto for 15 years of caravanning

Ditto for 4 years trailer tenting and ditto a long time tent camping

Chill out neighbour you'll get blood pressure, where have you been pitching to get so upset

Hi there neighbour. I can't believe you've never come across generators - but, hey, you were there not me. If you read one of my replies you'll see that I've had a bad genny weekend and the pressure plug blew! The responses have been just what I expected - right down the middle. But, you're right, no point in blowing a gasket. I normally keep myself to myself but this niggling nuisance finally got to me. Seems many others have a similar view-point which at least makes me feel I'm in good company. My only disappointment is that some of the counter-rants/opinions didn't seem to understand the point but there you go, that's life. Have a good day in sunny S:thumb:eek:uth Yorkshire - yeah right!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surwaya...

Please don't go away and hide yourself again...

A good, strong, heart felt rant on Fun does you good and gives the rest of us a chance to have a bit of a go too... great stuff...:thumb:

And at least your rant was about motorhoming and an experience you had had while motorhoming and not about some ill researched and sloppily written "article" in the Daily M**L... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not always, as my little girl has not got any to kick. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But even if she had been born a boy, and you kicked him/her VeryOldMoMan, there would be war. Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

Our old-mo ain't stoopid... he would do it when you weren't looking... :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Not always, as my little girl has not got any to kick. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But even if she had been born a boy, and you kicked him/her VeryOldMoMan, there would be war. Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

You have always got to complicate things...:cry:

I`ll have to think about the girlie issue... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

Anyway............... I can run faster than you at the moment... :Tongue1::ROFLMAO:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hey folks dont lets just get upperty about motorhomes regarding gennys, some of the biggest culprits are caravanners, they do it all the time, plus in this bad weather they are constantly running in and out of sites with their cars churning up the entrances as is the case with rutland meet, some even put toilet cassettes into their cars to go 100 yards to elsan point.

We have an onboard genny which we very rarely use, and when we do its usually to charge up the batteries of our fellow motorhomers.

So come on guys lets not start a feud, we all have our rants at times but thats not what this forum is all about, everyone has a right to their own opinion and people being what they are we will never all agree no matter what, and as lanside said we all have the ability to up sticks and move elsewhere, so lets agree to disagree and get on with having FUN

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My only disappointment is that some of the counter-rants/opinions didn't seem to understand the point

Common problem there.

Like many posts, it kicked off designed to stir things up but then when the full story comes out, a page or two later, the post isn't as controversial.

Good rant !

I don't suppose you have a view on the safety aspects of reverse polarity hook ups do you ?

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Surwaya...

Please don't go away and hide yourself again...

A good, strong, heart felt rant on Fun does you good and gives the rest of us a chance to have a bit of a go too... great stuff...:thumb:

And at least your rant was about motorhoming and an experience you had had while motorhoming and not about some ill researched and sloppily written "article" in the Daily M**L... :ROFLMAO:

Cheers mate - happy travels. I'm not usually one to upset the mellowness and tranquillity of this placid and reasoned forum - yeah! right. Be careful - I'm watching:thumb:

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Common problem there.

Like many posts, it kicked off designed to stir things up but then when the full story comes out, a page or two later, the post isn't as controversial.

Good rant !

I don't suppose you have a view on the safety aspects of reverse polarity hook ups do you ?
Now funny you should mention that .................................. Oh! Lord, help me to keep my mouth shut:thumb:

lockstock

Free Member
Jul 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Dont Own Yet
Exp
I utterly concur. Whats more, I am finding more and more and more of this absolute selfishness pervading through society. For someone who wants us all to get on and respect others, it drives one up the wall. Well done for ranting, you got it out and maybe others who run gennys at all hours, might think on.:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hey folks dont lets just get upperty about motorhomes regarding gennys, some of the biggest culprits are[HI] caravanners,[/HI] they do it all the time, plus in this bad weather they are constantly running in and out of sites with their cars churning up the entrances as is the case with rutland meet, some even put toilet cassettes into their cars to go 100 yards to elsan point.

Absolutely no call for language like that here thank you... :ROFLMAO:

sorry Marie and Rex

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Come on you load of losers, only 954 views so far, you must be able to beat Buttons 'thought provoking subject' from yesterday, he managed well over 1000 views... Come on, keep it going:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi there neighbour. I can't believe you've never come across generators - but, hey, you were there not me. If you read one of my replies you'll see that I've had a bad genny weekend and the pressure plug blew! The responses have been just what I expected - right down the middle. But, you're right, no point in blowing a gasket. I normally keep myself to myself but this niggling nuisance finally got to me. Seems many others have a similar view-point which at least makes me feel I'm in good company. My only disappointment is that some of the counter-rants/opinions didn't seem to understand the point but there you go, that's life. Have a good day in sunny S:thumb:eek:uth Yorkshire - yeah right!

I get the feeling your o/p was more about "mans inhumanity to man " than generators, if so Im with you there, much prefere animals to humans

you have a good day too, it was sunny a while ago I managed to cut the grass, very chilling, get ride of the stress its not really worth it, you know im right:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back