Inconsiderate, Arrogant and Unnecessary

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SURWAYA, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SURWAYA

SURWAYA Read Only Funster

Standby for a RANT that will polar divide the readers. Before I erupt however, let me just say that I normally keep my Motorhome Fun experience as a watching brief with the occasional polite post for information, the replies to which, I am most grateful. I am not a serial ranter.

Right lets rip. Why Oh! why, do some motorhomers find the need to run petrol generators? Not just that, why do they run them whenever they please?, without asking their neighbours if they mind, at all hours of the day and night and without a thought for the inconvenience they are causing others. It's inconsiderate, arrogant and totally unnecessary. Furthermore, why is it most generator users opt for the noisy options such as the very popular 'smoked herring' variety as opposed to the quieter versions? I'll tell you why. Because they prefer to inconvenience others rather than inconvenience their wallet!

Before I open the doors for the tirade of abuse/support let me lay out my stall. I've been motorhoming for 2 1/2 years spending 184 nights and 193 nights aboard in the first two years respectively. Prior to that I cruised the oceans of the world for 17 years aboard a 43' cruising yacht spending 7 months of every year aboard. In all of that time I've never once found the need to inconvenience others by invading the peace and quiet with a generator. OK, sometimes I've had to adapt my lifestyle but why should others suffer for my needs? Get a decent battery capacity, fit solar if you need to, but stop acting as if your power needs are the only thing that matters. If you 'need' a two bar fire, microwave, hair curlers, electric blanket blah, blah, blah, can I politely suggest you stay at home - you will be much more comfortable.

OK, I'm in my bunker, tell me I'm wrong.

PS I f you run a heart and lung machine - I'll wind my neck in

• Like Like x 3
  2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I entirely agree !:thumb:
    ps. I used to sail a Moody 45 !! Great piece of kit !!:Cool:

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Sich a simple question with a 'simple' answer..:Blush:

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

so are you saying that,

apart from an oxygen machine,

there is no need? ever? at any time? :RollEyes:

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Totally agree. My theory is that its OK to spend thousands on extras that CAN be seen but not on extras like alternative power and good battery systems that CANT. Having said that we can sit indefinitely in any weather without any outside power and we have all the luxuries at hand even hair straighteners which I hasten to add are of no use to me whatsoever.

6. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

When there is a battery pack & solar energy setup that will charge the mobility scooter without draining the system, then I will not need to start my generator to recharge the batteries.
    Or perhaps I will sell the Motorhome & just sit in the house, keeping out of everyones way & not upsetting people with my inconsiderate actions.:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 21
  7. robnchris

robnchris Funster

the genny

[FONT=&quot]Always going to attract a comment or two this one.
    Have to say that when we bought our motorhome we also bought a genny, that was 3 yrs ago, in that time we have only used the genny 3 times.
    Oddly enough all 3 thimes in a lay-by enroute so we could use the toaster.
    Two years ago we had a solar panel fitted, as we mostly stay on Caravan club sites with a EHU we have found the genny redundant.
    The odd occasions we have stayed without EHU the batteries have managed fine, ok we aren`t using any 240v appliances but we have managed.

So we have settled into a routine were we really don`t need a genny.
    Ok we bought the Kipor, slightly more noisy than the Honda, I made a sound proof box that made it almost silent, granted you need the storage room to carry these items but surely a little etiquette and common sense can avoid any conflicts when using your genny.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Like Like x 4
  8. laneside

laneside Funster

My motorhome is good for those situations as it has wheels on.

I can go to them and say you are an anti social t---t and move on.

Its isn't often and its the same story just a tiny minority

• Like Like x 3
  9. haganap

Well, in terms of threads,

This one takes the biscuit.

I will sell up straight away, bow to your 2/12 years of motorhoming and retire to my house.
    Never mind the fact that some of our members have disability scooters, oxygen machines or what ever else.
    Never mind the fact that I have an ultra quiet Honda eu10 strapped as far away from others as I can get it and used rarely.

Inconsiderate? I think that should be the title of a thread about this thread?

Arrogant? Why am I arrogant?

Unnecessary? Have you tried skiing a couple of weeks in the Alps with tempretures hitting -20 and only 9 hours of sunshine with a family?

Nothing against some-ones point of view about gennies, but I personally find your thread insulting and aggressive and put across in such an impolite manner.

I do hope your not akin to the manner of your post, if so, I do hope I never have to park alongside you , its not the genny you will need worry about , its the noisy kids :Smile:

• Like Like x 16
  10. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

My wife's medical kit will trash 300Ah of batteries in 24 hrs. No amount of solar on a Motorhome, in this country, will keep up with that. I recharge with a little 1kva silent suitcase generator, 49db @ 7m, upon which I attach a sign explaining that it is charging medical batteries and will be shut down ASAP. :thumb:

If I really want to piss off the neighbours, I start up the 5.5kw on board Onan. :Rofl1::Eeek::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 16
  11. SURWAYA

In a nutshell - yes. My 19 or so years on the road/ocean proves my submission I think. On the wheels I've fitted 360amps of leisure battery (circa 180 amps useable) and I have a small portable solar panel that I use for trickling the traction battery. Perhaps to prove the point further, I've just returned from a 6 week trip around France during which time I spent virtually every night on aires and never even came close to compromising the power. On the two occasions it was required, I stayed on a campsite to recharge at a total cost of 31 Euros and no inconvenience to anyone. My main point is - sometimes you have to inconvenience yourself before others. Moreover, if you do 'need' to inconvenience others it is only reasonable, polite and socially responsible to do so as little as possible and having first apologised/ asked for their agreement. Call me old fashioned if you must.

• Like Like x 13
  12. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Right lets rip. Why Oh! why, do some motorhomers find the need to run petrol generators? Not just that, why do they run them whenever they please?,
    .................................................................................................................................

Have you ever thought to some people it is a nessasary thing...

If it were not for our generator, we would not be able to go away... Most that know us will understand..

We always ask to be put out of the way, for that reason we run a genny...

We bought a "Honda" so as not to run the on board genny which are far from quiet in a yank RV.. :Sad:

Run up a skull & crossbone flag and we will steer clear of you.. :Smile:

• Like Like x 16
  13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I don’t own a genny

In 3.5 years of motor homing I have never seen one in use

Ditto for 15 years of caravanning

Ditto for 4 years trailer tenting and ditto a long time tent camping

Chill out neighbour you'll get blood pressure, where have you been pitching to get so upset

• Like Like x 5
  14. haganap

Its about what part of your life do you think is so much more important than everyone elses,?

I don't actually use my generator other than when skiing, along with the other 20 vans on an aire doing the same, using them at a sensible hour,

But what I cant get my head around is your aggressive nature to your post? there has been loads of Genny V no Genny threads over the years,

Has some one upset you? were they inconsiderate? then move on,

Someone pulled out in front of me this morning taking the kids to school, I ain't upset by it, some people are a little inconsiderate, but don't tar everyone with the same brush :Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I dont see a problem with charging mobility scooters from a decent solar/wind battery bank. When we had the two battery bikes with 36volt batteries I bought a 12volt-36volt converter to charge them from the battery bank. This worked without discharging my battery bank although it was somewhat expensive.
    OK I see a problem with the extra weight of a good battery bank, BUT if you dont put all the extra toys on then the weight is not a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. haganap

No your 19 years on the road/ocean proves your different to others,
    You have not got an electic scooter, disabled, oxygen machine, go skiing, run a meet, rally for a week with a family, place reason here.

its a little bit of a selfish thought to be honest. :Smile:

But, hey, your entitled to your opinion, just don't be so aggressive when you make it. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  17. haganap

18. SURWAYA

Thanks for pointing out something that perhaps I should have highlighted initially - as always it's a tiny minority -your absolutely right.

It's interesting to note, as I suspected it might, there are two polarized viewpoints already showing their hand. On the one side those in total agreement with my post and those on a counter rant. To separate the wheat from the chaff, the post is not intended to be a technical one but more to highlight the arguements of 'Rights and Responsibilities'. I bow to everyone that has 'needs', especially genuine ones, but I hope the thread might ask the question, Why are my needs more important than my neighbours? Or perhaps with a little civility we might come to a civilised compromise and meet everyones needs without bullishly living in a world where 'me' is all that counts. hey ho!

• Like Like x 7
  19. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Can I just ask, why do people not use their gas fires and gas cookers? I have no objection to gennies, probably because I've never been inconvenienced by one, although I can see that it would be really annoying to be parked beside one that's running all day. Can a gennie not just run for an hour or two to recharge everything? :Smile: Maybe we need to make allowances for the op. He might have had a sleepless night parked beside a running gennie and, let's be fair, I have seen a lot more aggression on here at times. :Smile:

Ivy

• Like Like x 6
  20. haganap

yesterday some one asked a question,

Has this site become like the darkside?

Im going to go and find JH, I think he has some sort of power to look in to the future, he must of known this was coming. :Rofl1:

Im off to set up a show at Knutsford, please don't park near me, I will be running a genny for the tea earn and the entertainment for the funsters. :thumb:

Incidently, not a polarised view, I rarely very rarely run my Genny, but, I accept people have a choice or in some cases, no choice, it's not your world, its mine too. :thumb:

have a nice day :thumb:

• Like Like x 5