In praise of Ypres (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just got back from a short (10 nights) shakedown first trip to France & Belgium and wanted to sing the praises of the 'Aire' in the centre of Ypres ( http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/ ) where we spent our first two nights. We hadn't pre-booked but that is available online. It was fairly easy to find but the roadworks near the railway station complicated things a little. The site is unmanned over the winter and getting in threw us a bit. You have to park outside the barrier and walk to the office where there is an automated check-in system in several languages. You will need a credit/debit card which cost Euro 19 and will dispense a swipe card to open the barrier but then will give you back Euro 4 in cash when you leave. The 'day is measured 11am to 11am and you have to use the swipe card to open the barrier, drive out, park up and walk back in to surrender your swipe card. The 12 or so MH pitches are all hard standing well lit and kept clean.
When we were there 1st week in Feb there was EHU , WiFi and toilets with Hot water. There is an Aldi about 200 yards away and it is about a 10 minute walk via lit pathways, alongside the athletics stadium, to the Menen Gate for the 8pm ceremony. All the roads around Ypres are cycle friendly to make the visiting of the dozens of War Cemeteries easier.
All in all a good start to our European adventures

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
We,re going that way end of March, to visit Cambrai where my grandfather died and the Louveral memorial. May we'll check out that aire, thanks!

Lesley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just got back from a short (10 nights) shakedown first trip to France & Belgium and wanted to sing the praises of the 'Aire' in the centre of Ypres ( http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/ ) where we spent our first two nights. We hadn't pre-booked but that is available online. It was fairly easy to find but the roadworks near the railway station complicated things a little. The site is unmanned over the winter and getting in threw us a bit. You have to park outside the barrier and walk to the office where there is an automated check-in system in several languages. You will need a credit/debit card which cost Euro 19 and will dispense a swipe card to open the barrier but then will give you back Euro 4 in cash when you leave. The 'day is measured 11am to 11am and you have to use the swipe card to open the barrier, drive out, park up and walk back in to surrender your swipe card. The 12 or so MH pitches are all hard standing well lit and kept clean.
When we were there 1st week in Feb there was EHU , WiFi and toilets with Hot water. There is an Aldi about 200 yards away and it is about a 10 minute walk via lit pathways, alongside the athletics stadium, to the Menen Gate for the 8pm ceremony. All the roads around Ypres are cycle friendly to make the visiting of the dozens of War Cemeteries easier.
All in all a good start to our European adventures

Good pointer, many thanks!(y)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Great location for walking to see things, we stayed there for a few days on the way back from Assen last year, we will definitely go back. Do not miss the service at the Menin gate very moving.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
In fact you can stay for free outside the gates. As you approach the gates towards the town centre just before you go through the gate turn left now keeping the canal to your right. You are now in a residential street with restricted parking. Keep going and you go over a small roundabout. Go over that and then the road is unrestricted and the town are happy for you to park up next to the canal. In fact the road is a dead end and as you go past the barrier at the end you will see the path that takes you past the leisure centre and through the woods to the Aire. A great spot to sit and watch people walk by and walk up to the 'Last Post' which is only now 200 yds away. I just love it there.
Please someone do not tell me that since last summer that they have now stopped this parking area.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Jeugstadion definitely does the job. Worth adding that if you book in advance online you'll need the same payment card for the automated check-in machine to dispense your access pass. Definitely worth booking ahead in the busy season, which can include the run up to Remembrance Day.

Recommended local visits (in addition to the 8pm Menin Gate ceremony) are: The Cloth Hall in Ypres, the Passchendaele museum at Zonnebeke, and the Tyne Cot Commonwealth Cemetery.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You must also visit Flanders Fields museum, the worst part is right at the end, pictures of those who survived but injured.

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
I honestly don't think I want to visit anywhere else there, it will be too upsetting. WW1 was such a wicked waste of life and pointless, those old b/w pics of the trenches are just unbearable. I don't get upset about WW2, there was a point to that, but somehow the first war just gets to me.

Lesley

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
In fact you can stay for free outside the gates. As you approach the gates towards the town centre just before you go through the gate turn left now keeping the canal to your right. You are now in a residential street with restricted parking. Keep going and you go over a small roundabout. Go over that and then the road is unrestricted and the town are happy for you to park up next to the canal. In fact the road is a dead end and as you go past the barrier at the end you will see the path that takes you past the leisure centre and through the woods to the Aire. A great spot to sit and watch people walk by and walk up to the 'Last Post' which is only now 200 yds away. I just love it there.
Please someone do not tell me that since last summer that they have now stopped this parking area.

We parked next to the barrier at the end of the road overnight last August, tried to get into the campsite but jam packed full, so found the spot down next to the river next to a few other campers and as you say a few minutes walk from the Menin Gate.

First thing in the morning went for a nice stroll past the leisure centre and made use of the showers etc at the campsite, hope to visit again but will definitely book in advance

Andy

Doh should read to end of thread before posting, as Rikfos says great spot

Reactions: LAM

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We were there last September for 3 nights, glad we had booked as it was full every night.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I honestly don't think I want to visit anywhere else there, it will be too upsetting. WW1 was such a wicked waste of life and pointless, those old b/w pics of the trenches are just unbearable. I don't get upset about WW2, there was a point to that, but somehow the first war just gets to me.

Lesley

It's heavy going and no mistake, but you don't earn points for how many sites you visit - going there and paying your respects in some way is enough.

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Ypres last week in January 2015 only us on site and raining and very cold

Attachments

• IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6334.JPG
    IMG_6334.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Visiting places like Tyne Cot in poor weather certainly helps put it into perspective. We went on a dull, damp, rainy day in autumn, both wishing the weather was a bit better. Then we contemplated the graves and memorials for the 40,000+ soldiers who'd died trying to capture Passchendaele and realised we nothing to complain about.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I would like to go . but I don't think I could handle it.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I followed Vacarious books Road Trip Europe: The Great War and More. It took you to all the main places but a lot that weren't so well know. Did it last year for my granddad who joined up in 1914 and was in the Somme. I'm hoping they do some more of these (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's very poignant visiting Ypres - I saw this at the Menin Gate. I can't imagine for one minute that Billy ever met his Grandad, but he made the journey to Belgium in his memory.

Broken Link Removed

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Some of you may be interested in this http://arleseyremembersyou.org.uk
The village where my grandfather was born organised a project to lay a cross on the graves of the 87 men on the war memorial, wherever they were in the world. My grandfather did not have a grave, so a cross was laid at the memorial in Louveral, where I'll be visiting in March. I think it was a lovely way to involve all the village in remembering the soldiers who died, in fact there is a film about it on the community channel. I'm going to visit the village on the way down to the ferry, never been there!

Lesley

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We were there one very cold, wet November. Touring the various outlying cemeteries we got stuck in horrible clay and mud. This just made us realise the discomfort of the poor men that ultimately died anyway. Seeing the many tearful faces at the gate when the last post was played put the whole ghastly life of the soldiers in perspective. Everyone should go there, perhaps there wouldn't be any more wars like this again?

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
You can still park for free down the road by the leisure centre. You could always walk in to the campsite and have a shower.

Does anyone have GPS coordinates for this location, or a link to it on google earth? We are going to ypres way over easter

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Turn left just before the gate, down the road at the bottom

Oldfolkie

Free Member
May 28, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can I just say a big "thank you" for posting the information bout this aire and for all the comments about Ypres. We are set to commence a European tour at the end of March and had intended Ypres to be our first port of call. Having followed this thread I have now sent a request for a booking. I wanted to let you all know how much your comments are appreciated.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
10 years ago we visited Ypres for the Remembrance Service on 11th November. We were lucky enough to be invited to join the procession to the Menim Gate and were, therefore, within the gate itself for the whole service.

One of the most moving experiences of my life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back