In praise of Ypres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by namwaldog, Feb 26, 2015.

1. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Just got back from a short (10 nights) shakedown first trip to France & Belgium and wanted to sing the praises of the 'Aire' in the centre of Ypres ( http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/ ) where we spent our first two nights. We hadn't pre-booked but that is available online. It was fairly easy to find but the roadworks near the railway station complicated things a little. The site is unmanned over the winter and getting in threw us a bit. You have to park outside the barrier and walk to the office where there is an automated check-in system in several languages. You will need a credit/debit card which cost Euro 19 and will dispense a swipe card to open the barrier but then will give you back Euro 4 in cash when you leave. The 'day is measured 11am to 11am and you have to use the swipe card to open the barrier, drive out, park up and walk back in to surrender your swipe card. The 12 or so MH pitches are all hard standing well lit and kept clean.
    When we were there 1st week in Feb there was EHU , WiFi and toilets with Hot water. There is an Aldi about 200 yards away and it is about a 10 minute walk via lit pathways, alongside the athletics stadium, to the Menen Gate for the 8pm ceremony. All the roads around Ypres are cycle friendly to make the visiting of the dozens of War Cemeteries easier.
    All in all a good start to our European adventures

• Like Like x 25
  2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

sunds like you wer in Campsite ‘Jeugdstadion’ its brilliant
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  3. Finvarra

Finvarra Read Only Funster

We,re going that way end of March, to visit Cambrai where my grandfather died and the Louveral memorial. May we'll check out that aire, thanks!

Lesley

4. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Good pointer, many thanks!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Enword

Enword Funster

Great location for walking to see things, we stayed there for a few days on the way back from Assen last year, we will definitely go back. Do not miss the service at the Menin gate very moving.

6. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

In fact you can stay for free outside the gates. As you approach the gates towards the town centre just before you go through the gate turn left now keeping the canal to your right. You are now in a residential street with restricted parking. Keep going and you go over a small roundabout. Go over that and then the road is unrestricted and the town are happy for you to park up next to the canal. In fact the road is a dead end and as you go past the barrier at the end you will see the path that takes you past the leisure centre and through the woods to the Aire. A great spot to sit and watch people walk by and walk up to the 'Last Post' which is only now 200 yds away. I just love it there.
    Please someone do not tell me that since last summer that they have now stopped this parking area.

• Like Like x 2
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Jeugstadion definitely does the job. Worth adding that if you book in advance online you'll need the same payment card for the automated check-in machine to dispense your access pass. Definitely worth booking ahead in the busy season, which can include the run up to Remembrance Day.

Recommended local visits (in addition to the 8pm Menin Gate ceremony) are: The Cloth Hall in Ypres, the Passchendaele museum at Zonnebeke, and the Tyne Cot Commonwealth Cemetery.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

You must also visit Flanders Fields museum, the worst part is right at the end, pictures of those who survived but injured.

9. Finvarra

Finvarra Read Only Funster

I honestly don't think I want to visit anywhere else there, it will be too upsetting. WW1 was such a wicked waste of life and pointless, those old b/w pics of the trenches are just unbearable. I don't get upset about WW2, there was a point to that, but somehow the first war just gets to me.

Lesley

• Like Like x 5
  10. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Thanks for all your replies. Worth mentioning that there is a small change to the Last Post ceremony this year as they now take time to tell a little anecdote about a different soldier each night who had died. Very Moving!!

• Like Like x 6
  11. rikfos

rikfos Funster

You can still park for free down the road by the leisure centre. You could always walk in to the campsite and have a shower.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Drexxer

Drexxer Funster

We parked next to the barrier at the end of the road overnight last August, tried to get into the campsite but jam packed full, so found the spot down next to the river next to a few other campers and as you say a few minutes walk from the Menin Gate.

First thing in the morning went for a nice stroll past the leisure centre and made use of the showers etc at the campsite, hope to visit again but will definitely book in advance

Andy

Doh should read to end of thread before posting, as Rikfos says great spot

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

On my bucket list...

Go to Wipers and cry...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We were there last spring, fabulous town, a place to return to(y)

15. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

We were there last September for 3 nights, glad we had booked as it was full every night.

16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

It's heavy going and no mistake, but you don't earn points for how many sites you visit - going there and paying your respects in some way is enough.

• Like Like x 4
  17. wizza

wizza Funster

Ypres last week in January 2015 only us on site and raining and very cold

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Visiting places like Tyne Cot in poor weather certainly helps put it into perspective. We went on a dull, damp, rainy day in autumn, both wishing the weather was a bit better. Then we contemplated the graves and memorials for the 40,000+ soldiers who'd died trying to capture Passchendaele and realised we nothing to complain about.

• Like Like x 5
  19. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I would like to go . but I don't think I could handle it.

20. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I followed Vacarious books Road Trip Europe: The Great War and More. It took you to all the main places but a lot that weren't so well know. Did it last year for my granddad who joined up in 1914 and was in the Somme. I'm hoping they do some more of these (y)

• Like Like x 3