In France what class am I

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slobadoberbob, Aug 29, 2010.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have looked at the link to the French charts from this site regarding vehicle sizes. So what am I? but you must consider I have a blue disabled badge and the French from there chart allow for that... but I am still confused (I know that is easy for me).. I have been charged class 2 class 3 and class 4 in the past.

I am 23'9" long I have a small trailer under 750 kgs (cannot often be seen by the pay booths) but I am 12' tall... so what is your opinion. Am I a class 2, 3 or 4 and what does the wheelchair sign allow me to be?

Bob (still confused... but not a .com):Blush:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

to be honest Bob classes are dependant on size and weight, The blue badge is ignored on peages and will not help you. Up to 3,500kgs you are class1 over that you are class2, but towing and a higher class still (number of axles)

3. slobadoberbob

I have been charged at various rate

I know it is complicated, but the french do accept the blue badge and it allows the rate to be reduced by one band. Bit like a local UK council down rating the banding on rates if a wheelchair person lives in the property i.e D down to a C banding. The same applies on the French toll roads. (that is shown on the chart if you look at the bottom under the pictures of the size of vehicles).

Now my French is poor and I cannot argue the point, but sometimes I do say it is a camping car and show the blue badge. Mainly I get eiither a class 3 or 4. .. The Winnebago Aspect I drive is not massive as some of you know, it is tall, but not over so compared with most motorhomes. Yes I do weigh in at 5.5 tons b ut to look at the RV it looks as if it is a 3.5 ton vehicle. It is just of hoping the person taking the money see's it my way.. the credit card machine just charge.

Sometimes I get a ticket from the lower dispenser, but mostly it is from the truck one. I think that is what works out the charge (height).

Bob:Eeek:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

In June/July this year we got no concession for our blue badge. Even though we constantly asked. I hope you have more luck.

5. olley

olley Funster

6. slobadoberbob

you are right

Olley I looked at the site and also saw that about class 2 down to a class 1.

At Dartford we only ever pay £1.50.. suspect that the trailer is so small that they cannot see it. ... when we were being boarded on to the euro train in April they could see the word 'towing' in the window but had to walk down the side of the van to see what we were towing as it could not be seen from the front.. same I think at the toll booths in France... never had anyone chase after me to date. But I must admit I do these days take a lot more of the non toll roads heading to the South of France.

Bob

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, they no longer charge extra for trailers at Dartford .:BigGrin: We do know that if you tow a toad in France, they charge more than a car on a single axle trailer.:Smile: But you are better off using the N roads if you have the time, because you see so much more of the real France.:thumb: So they must charge per axle.:Smile: We are in Germany at the moment no tolls no campsites and having a great time, the only problem is they cant brew Bitter :cry: But we have found if you drink enough Bit Burger its no so bad. :Smile:Bob and Jane.

8. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Same here when we go to Germany. No tolls and great roads. I have to agree about the beer though.
    In France, we do our best to avoid tolls.

Bob
    , get yourself a Weissbier Dunkel. It's not a bitter, but a real nice dark beer. My favourite. :thumb:
    http://www.erdinger.de/en/Products/Dark.html#Information
    You can buy a case from a wholesaler for about €20 plus tax.

Have a great time,

Jock.