In Calais Now

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Jul 1, 2015.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Just got onto cite Europe car park came up the a26 motorway line of trucks maybe thirty mile long and up to Dunkirk, but tunnel passenger traffic directed to outside lane but the lorries are on the slip road so you have go past them and turn in at the last minute if you want cite Europe you have to go past the first turn and come back up, there's about 6 other mhs on here and say they are stopping till morning as we are all on early trains, so think we will as well, hundreds of immigrants about but don't seem to take any notice of us, even seen some femails with them this time

• Like Like x 3
  2. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Just take the female's as we have enough males.

P.S make sure there young and pretty

• Like Like x 5
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Been sitting here a couple of hours now, and the tunnel seems to be loading no problem, loads of mhs getting on, and immigrants just keep walking up the road here, designer trainers and offical looking football shorts, maybe couple of hundred gone by while we are sitting here.
    Some just gone by with a lidl bag each.

4. chaser

chaser Funster

Well we are still here in one piece, cup of tea and then round to the terminal, see what's happening, 3 immigrants came and sat in the hedge behind us last night but two blokes with dogs soon came and shifted them, helicopters' flew over with searchlights on sometime in the night, don't know what time that was, never looked

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Just looked over the fence cars seem to be going to loadup so fingers crossed, looks ok

6. jumar

jumar Funster

We got away early Wednesday morning, our biggest problems greeted us at Dover onwards. We encountered Operation Stuck for the first time, the A roads we were diverted on to were never built to take the traffic they were having to cope with. Just spent the first night back here in the UK, dont know why we live in Spain, the weather is just the same here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Came off cite Europe but the usual route to the tunnel was barrier off so had to head for Boulogne and come off first exit and head back in ,lorries everywhere , wouldnt think there were that many trucks in the world but anyway back at tunnel terminal now waiting for our scheduled crossing, doesn't seem to be many here, but a load of caravans ,maybe been to a rally or something.

8. Bridget

Bridget Funster

I'll be travelling alone so seems a little scary, though,as you say, it would seem that there is some security. Have a safe journey home

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Just drive straight in and straight out..stay an hour away from Calais and you will be fine...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Did exactly this last Sunday. Never saw a migrant or anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Believe me there's loads of them, but nothing to worry about as I can see,we came in on the first strike day and coming back the day after the second and apart from a few detours and adelay coming over, would have been just a normal break , and all the scaremongering about cite Europe is well unfounded, probably safer there with the police presence than some out of the way car park or country aire

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Thanks for this advice Judgemental, think that will be best for me. I'm not usually worried by being on my own but you hear so many things being reported back here that it's useful to hear people's first hand experience!

• Like Like x 1
  13. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Put a "beware of the dog" sign in your window and carry a dog lead and water bowl, keeps prowler's away

• Like Like x 2
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

UK roads are absolute disgrace!! Come out of France trucks all lined all down the mways hardly any police but everything running get here police everywhere but what's happened , closed the m20 both roads, at a standstill now turning all traffic through Ashford, couldn't make it up

• Like Like x 2
  15. madgeD

madgeD Funster

I totally agree with you chaser , we should have crossed as you did Thurs but I was worried we would be caught up in strike and have to get the dogs treated again so we managed to get an earlier train on Wed afternoon.

All was running smoothly in France but a total fiasco when we hit U.K ! Why the M20 was closed when there was so much traffic all the lorries being stacked is beyond me.
    We spoke to a German family that pulled into the CCC site at Cantebury after we did nearly four hours after leaving Folkstone
    Tired and totally stressed out.

16. chaser

chaser Funster

Took us 9 hours to get from tunnel to uttoxeter, usually 4, why they shut both sides is totally beyond me, no need to shut the other side either if they did the same as the French and have two rows of trucks for a longer distance and let the cars go past. Crazy

17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

How about blaming the French for your travel problems. Op stack is a tried and tested method of stacking and looking after the welfare of truckers. There are detours in place and nobody thinks it's the perfect solution. I think instead of moaning about the UK people should put a bit more effort in moaning about the causes of all this which from every angle is French. (again)

• Like Like x 3
  18. wanderer

wanderer Funster

I think the authorities like to show their power over the motorist

• Like Like x 1
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

Ok, but can you explain why both sides of the mway are closed, with not a vehicle on it

20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

It's called op stack stage 3 and is to start using the London bound lanes also. Part of the central reservation had to be removed.