In at the deep end

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Mags52, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We've found ourselves a bit unexpectedly going temporarily full time (if that makes any sense at all). We'd been considering letting out our house and departing on an adventure when a situation where friends got flooded out of their home gave us a surprise opportunity. They are renting our house (paid for by insurance) and we are going full time for at least 6 months. This is a win win situation as far as we are concerned. They have somewhere pleasant to live while the disaster at their house is fixed and we get to rent our house to people we know and can trust to look after it.
    So now we face two weeks of intensive packing and clearing before we set off into the great blue yonder.
    Wow!
    First question - we are planning to buy a trailer for golf clubs, trolleys, utility tent etc. We need one that we (both ladies) can manoeuvre when it isn't attached to the van yet big enough to take our stuff. We used to be tuggers and have also towed a boat with the van so not worrying about the towing - we just need to be able to unhitch it and shift it easily when we arrive at a site. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Second question - if anyone has any wild camping favourites in Scotland please could you PM me one or two?
    TTFN
    Mags

• Like Like x 5
  2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Sounds like a great adventure ahead of you enjoy(y)
    Sorry can't help with trailer.:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hello Mags ,Halfords have a lightweight trailer Erde is the make I had one some years, ago was very good I had to build it myself as back then it was in kit form but now you can have them ready made ,don't foget spare wheel for it :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

When I had the bongo (teeny camper van) I had a erde trailer with a hardtop (lockable) with rails on that you could attach a bike rack to. I think the internal measurements of the trailer were 4foot x 3foot and it had a jockey wheel so it was easily manoeuvrable.

Have a look here for ideas

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Erde_143_Trailer.html

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's almost impossible to reverse a small trailer if you can't see it - OK if you have a reversing camera but otherwise not. You can unhitch of course but that may not be convenient or even possible if you are on a hill.

But have a good adventure and make sure your rental agreement covers what happens if your friends can't return to their house after six months - because that's quite possible. My MIL was out of her home for nearly a year before it was fixed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Wow mags that sounds brilliant a win win situation, hope to catch up soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Maybe a larger trailer with a motor-mover fitted.

Only needs a small car battery to run it which could be fitted in the trailer with a split charge relay to keep it topped up.
    Manouvering up and down hills no problem....the tyres will loose grip before the mover stalls.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we use a small 6x4x4 tow-a-van box trailer for the scooters and other kit. watertight and easy to move around, plus it has brakes unlike anything smaller

plan is to fit a motor mover to it though

9. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

I'm with this idea.... Makes sense... And easy,
    Without being patronising.... I admire you two, have read your blogs all the way through and follow it so hopefully now your temp full timing I'll get to read some more...?
    (y)

• Like Like x 2
  10. davanne

davanne Funster

Exciting times for you Mags and Shirley:) hope you are going to do a blog:) as I really enjoyed your last one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We had a single axel box trailer from tickner trailers. They made it with a longer a frame at the front so it cleared the bike rack on back of the van. It had rear doors and a front side so was easy to get stuff out. To aid seeing the rear of the trailer for reversing you can have 2 rubber arm led lights fitted low down at the back of the trailer. You will see them fitted on continental trucks to give you idea what I mean. It was a very useful trailer and held loads of stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Know nothing about trailers but I'm sure you'll have a billiant time.
    I went from on a 6 week holiday and it turned into 10 months full timing. Enjoyed it so much that after 3 months back in my house I did another year full time in the motorhome. On my own except for the 2 dogs and 2 cats, enjoyed every minute.
    Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks for that :) - and yes, the blog will start again as soon as we leave. Hoping to set it up with contents so that scrolling isn't necessary.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Blogging for sure - will start it soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We're not worried if it ends up longer than 6 months. Happy to be being paid to travel! It'll be a six month lease with month by month renewable at the end of the initial 6 months.
    ... and we do have a reversing camera so will maybe be ok.
    Thanks for the good advice
    M

• Like Like x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume from your postings that you're doing a proper lease contract which is good - regardless of their being friends it is vital to have one to protect both your and your tenant's rights.

Don't forget to talk to your insurance company as they'll need to know that you're letting it out and may improse exclusions/restrictions/extra costs etc, you'll also have to do a self-assessment tax return - even if you won't earn enough to pay tax you still have to declare the income.

17. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks Mel. We've got an agent doing the legal stuff for us and we're covering all the bases with landlord registration and insurance etc. I used to be self employed and swore I would never have to fill in a tax return again but for this, it's worth it. :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Well done enjoy your travels and adventure (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. D.ten

D.ten Funster

Not sure if you still are in need of advice for free camping in Scotland but I'm Inverness based ad we regularly head west for weekends with the kiddies. There are literally hundreds if spots dotted all over for free camping. North Skye is lovely, ullapool north, assynt, there is a lovely carpark at achnarhaird bay (ignore old no overnight parking sign)... You could even climb stac pollaidh on route. Also, in torridon the council have a free campsite with toilst and showers!. Lovely deserted beach at redpoint near gairloch. You can stay overnight in the carpark spend the day morning at the beach then lunch at the badchro inn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Have you checked that you are covered for full timing on your vehicle insurance. As you have let your property it no longer counts as YOUR residence. Most insurances have a trip limit (not just for going abroad) so exceeding this limit would render your insurance invalid other than for the minimum legal cover. They also have a requirement that you are on the electoral roll.

You need a contact address for insurance and your licence and Vehicle registration with DVLA. Your friends could act as your contact address.

We have been full timing with Cover through Comfort Insurance for the last 6 years. Our daughter's address is our contact address. True full timing insurance is not the same as 365 days cover advertised by some companies. Comfort do not require you to be on an electoral roll or have a UK residence. However the insurance is not cheap and can cost double to treble your current premium.

Have you though about voting? See our thread about "Registering to vote with no fixed address".

Unless you are moving about on a regular basis you could still be liable for Council Tax by staying long term on a site or repeatedly returning to the one site. See Motorhome365 Forum which is a sister site to this one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1