dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
when you use a compass in a panel van you do not get a correct reading to find north .
you have to go out side get a reading and and back inside to tune in the camos crank up .
any one no of a compass that will work inside the van thanks :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would imagine all compasses deigned for use in vehicles will work
IE as found in moast acssesory shops​
Posted via Mobile Device

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
compass ???

i have an arrow painted on the front,, all we do is follow that, we always face the right way, and no matter what road we go on, it nearly always gets us somewhere,, some places more interesting than others,!!!!! ??? remember the alternative to growing old is to die young:thumb::thumb::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
The compass may be giving a false reading due to the amount of ferrous metal in the cab. It may need 'swinging'.

All but the cheapest compasses can be adjusted to north, usually by turning a screw in the casing. If you can find the adjustment on the case, mount the compass where you are most likely to use it, and then point the vehicle in a direction that you know to be north.

When the vehicle is pointing north, use the adjustment screw until north appears on the index line. All should then be OK.

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I've got a silva compass does the job and i dont have to go outside in the rain:thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I've got an electronic compass the kids bought me years ago. I think it was from Halfords but most of the car accessory shops should have them. I calibrate it by turning it on then holding a button on the back until it starts to flash then I have to drive in a circle. You don't have a lot of time to do the calibration so I get the wife to press the button while I am doing my circle in the car park (get some strange looks from people :RollEyes:. Only need to calibrate it if I move the location in the vehicle, found the radio can effect it if I put it too close. Got me out of many a problem when the sat nav either has lost the signal or just gets me tied up in a loop of one way streets. Usually know roughly which direction I need to be going so I use the compass to guide me until 'Jane' (Tomtom) gets her act together :thumb:.

Heres one a quick search of Google showed DIGITAL CAR COMPASS bit more sophisticated than mine, I have one that is just the compass.

Or here is one Link Removed designed for the job.

Last edited:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
An alternative to a compass for finding the astra satellite is to enter it as a waypoint in a GPS as Latitude 00.00 degrees, Long 28.2(E) degrees. As the satellite is geo-stationary over the equator it is always at this location and the exact bearing to it will be shown, regardless of whether you are in Scotland or Gibraltar.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
An alternative to a compass for finding the astra satellite is to enter it as a waypoint in a GPS as Latitude 00.00 degrees, Long 28.2(E) degrees. As the satellite is geo-stationary over the equator it is always at this location and the exact bearing to it will be shown, regardless of whether you are in Scotland or Gibraltar.

Done that so, where does it show the bearing?

It says it cannot find the route, & I'm not surprised as it's in the Congo. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Not a lot of use adjusting a magnetic compass to work inside the van if you intend to use it outside- what's the point, anyway, in an age of GPS and map-reading?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Errr - on the GPS display

No I tried it and it doesn't because it doesn't know where it's going.
It would have to point to the bearing 'as the crow flies and as it cannot find a route it cannot point at a point it cannot recognise.

Maybe mine won't do it although it's one of the latest Garmin sat navs.

I would love someone to explain where I can get the bearing to show.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
GPS is useless for pointing in the right direction, unless you are moving, using a GPS if you know your position then look at the map & from this you can work out roughly which way south is.

As I put in the links in my previous post there are digital electronic compasses that can be compensated to give the correct reading in the van. Other than that just look where the other satellites dishes are pointing, if you are in Europe then it will probably on the Astra 19 so all you need to do is move slightly to the left 9 degrees to the Astra 28.

If you can see the sun & you have an analog watch then you can find where south is, just do a search of using watch as a compass.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
GPS is useless for pointing in the right direction, unless you are moving,

This was exactly what I have found Ed

If you can see the sun & you have an analog watch then you can find where south is, just do a search of using watch as a compass.

Used this method many times & it works.

The most useful compass I have found is the one produced by Maxview. Used OUTSIDE it will give the direction of more than just ASTRA 2 & is simple to use.

Mine is the cheap plastic one though.

Last edited:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
You don't need an analogue watch to use it as a compass -a digital one works just as well. Think about it!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
compass

I use this type of compass, I sit it on the window sill in the kitchen tight up the the Perspex window (as this is close to my wind up dish and television) at the back of the sink inside the motorhome........and it is perfect every time but move it to a different place in the van and it gives the wrong reading sometimes.......so what I am saying before you buy a new one try your compass in numerous places. :thumb:

Link Removed

Purchased mine from Lidl France...about the same price as the one in Ebay

Mel

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If you have an Iphone several apps are available, I downloaded one from http://www.dishpointer.com/
Found it fantastic and my thanks to the member who originally posted the info, terrible can't remember who it was but you will know who you are.
In this weather good reception and a good coffee pot are essential (and maybe something extra in the coffee)
:Smile:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Satellite Finding

Just brought one of these from ebay excellent at finding sats and takes secs.
well worth £199

Attachments

• sat meter.jpg
    sat meter.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
nice one back to basics :Smile:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I still think the easiest option is just look around there aren't many places where you can't see at least one satellite dish :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back