in and out to use my compass

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by dshague, Jan 8, 2010.

1. dshague

dshague Funster

when you use a compass in a panel van you do not get a correct reading to find north .
    you have to go out side get a reading and and back inside to tune in the camos crank up .
    any one no of a compass that will work inside the van thanks :thumb:

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would imagine all compasses deigned for use in vehicles will work
    IE as found in moast acssesory shops​
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

compass ???

i have an arrow painted on the front,, all we do is follow that, we always face the right way, and no matter what road we go on, it nearly always gets us somewhere,, some places more interesting than others,!!!!! ??? remember the alternative to growing old is to die young:thumb::thumb::Doh:

4. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

The compass may be giving a false reading due to the amount of ferrous metal in the cab. It may need 'swinging'.

All but the cheapest compasses can be adjusted to north, usually by turning a screw in the casing. If you can find the adjustment on the case, mount the compass where you are most likely to use it, and then point the vehicle in a direction that you know to be north.

When the vehicle is pointing north, use the adjustment screw until north appears on the index line. All should then be OK.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i'v got a compass that works anywhere except long-ish tunnels......

TomTom !!!!

6. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

I've got a silva compass does the job and i dont have to go outside in the rain:thumb:

7. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

I've got an electronic compass the kids bought me years ago. I think it was from Halfords but most of the car accessory shops should have them. I calibrate it by turning it on then holding a button on the back until it starts to flash then I have to drive in a circle. You don't have a lot of time to do the calibration so I get the wife to press the button while I am doing my circle in the car park (get some strange looks from people :RollEyes:. Only need to calibrate it if I move the location in the vehicle, found the radio can effect it if I put it too close. Got me out of many a problem when the sat nav either has lost the signal or just gets me tied up in a loop of one way streets. Usually know roughly which direction I need to be going so I use the compass to guide me until 'Jane' (Tomtom) gets her act together :thumb:.

Heres one a quick search of Google showed DIGITAL CAR COMPASS bit more sophisticated than mine, I have one that is just the compass.

Or here is one Omnisat Digital Satellite Compass designed for the job.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

An alternative to a compass for finding the astra satellite is to enter it as a waypoint in a GPS as Latitude 00.00 degrees, Long 28.2(E) degrees. As the satellite is geo-stationary over the equator it is always at this location and the exact bearing to it will be shown, regardless of whether you are in Scotland or Gibraltar.

9. keith

keith Funster

Done that so, where does it show the bearing?

It says it cannot find the route, & I'm not surprised as it's in the Congo. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Not a lot of use adjusting a magnetic compass to work inside the van if you intend to use it outside- what's the point, anyway, in an age of GPS and map-reading?

11. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

Errr - on the GPS display

You don't really travel without a sat nav map of central Africa, do you? You never know where a good night out might end up:Wink:

12. keith

keith Funster

13. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

GPS is useless for pointing in the right direction, unless you are moving, using a GPS if you know your position then look at the map & from this you can work out roughly which way south is.

As I put in the links in my previous post there are digital electronic compasses that can be compensated to give the correct reading in the van. Other than that just look where the other satellites dishes are pointing, if you are in Europe then it will probably on the Astra 19 so all you need to do is move slightly to the left 9 degrees to the Astra 28.

If you can see the sun & you have an analog watch then you can find where south is, just do a search of using watch as a compass.

14. keith

keith Funster

Used this method many times & it works.

The most useful compass I have found is the one produced by Maxview. Used OUTSIDE it will give the direction of more than just ASTRA 2 & is simple to use.

Mine is the cheap plastic one though.

15. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

You don't need an analogue watch to use it as a compass -a digital one works just as well. Think about it!!!

16. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

compass

I use this type of compass, I sit it on the window sill in the kitchen tight up the the Perspex window (as this is close to my wind up dish and television) at the back of the sink inside the motorhome........and it is perfect every time but move it to a different place in the van and it gives the wrong reading sometimes.......so what I am saying before you buy a new one try your compass in numerous places. :thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/All-Metal-Arm...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item518f86e95b

Purchased mine from Lidl France...about the same price as the one in Ebay

Mel

17. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

18. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

If you have an Iphone several apps are available, I downloaded one from http://www.dishpointer.com/
    Found it fantastic and my thanks to the member who originally posted the info, terrible can't remember who it was but you will know who you are.
    In this weather good reception and a good coffee pot are essential (and maybe something extra in the coffee)
    :Smile:

19. Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs Read Only Funster

Satellite Finding

Just brought one of these from ebay excellent at finding sats and takes secs.
    well worth £199

Attached Files:

20. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster