Importing (1 Viewer)

F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Hi all, I feel like this could be one of those "open a can of worms" discussions, but here goes LOL... I am looking for general advice about importing an RV from America. Good news is I already own the RV and have done for 12 months, so no import tax right? (I live in Michigan at the moment, moving back in June). What else do I have to worry about before I can enjoy RVing back in Blighty? Power is a major one, is it fairly simple to hook up a step-down transformer between the campsite 240V power outlet and my RV's 110V power in? Also, I assume the gas & water connectors will need converting to metric threads somehow. Is this all fairly painless, any major expense involved there and is there anything I'm forgetting?

Back story to this is we got the RV bug living here in the US for the past year and a half, economy is really bad here now so doubt we'll get much for the RV, plus we love it to bits even though it's really old (1990 Tioga Montara on a Ford chassis). The size is 22' so should be ideal for chugging around British/European roads I would think. Not looking forward to paying $8/gallon for petrol though *shudders* :cry:. Would really appreciate any advice to help us decide whether to even go down this road.

Thanks all!
Jon

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Convert it to LPG to start with.

i am paying 45p a litre at some local outlets (wished i had more tanks though got 300 ltr at the moment)

i brought my RV over although flew over to buy it.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The only thing you will need to worry about Jon is fitting a step-down transformer for your electrics.....not rocket science, can be done relatively in-expensively.

For the gas, you can buy an adapter which attaches to your RV tank to enable you to fill up over here and the water hook up is a cinch, use a regular city water hose to attach to the RV and cut the other end off and fit an English Hozelock fitting........alternatively go into Home Depot and buy one of these and use an english hosepipe ..............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• noddy.jpg
    noddy.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi all, I feel like this could be one of those "open a can of worms" discussions, but here goes LOL... I am looking for general advice about importing an RV from America. Good news is I already own the RV and have done for 12 months, so no import tax right? (I live in Michigan at the moment, moving back in June). What else do I have to worry about before I can enjoy RVing back in Blighty? Power is a major one, is it fairly simple to hook up a step-down transformer between the campsite 240V power outlet and my RV's 110V power in? Also, I assume the gas & water connectors will need converting to metric threads somehow. Is this all fairly painless, any major expense involved there and is there anything I'm forgetting?

Back story to this is we got the RV bug living here in the US for the past year and a half, economy is really bad here now so doubt we'll get much for the RV, plus we love it to bits even though it's really old (1990 Tioga Montara on a Ford chassis). The size is 22' so should be ideal for chugging around British/European roads I would think. Not looking forward to paying $8/gallon for petrol though *shudders* :cry:. Would really appreciate any advice to help us decide whether to even go down this road.

Thanks all!
Jon

1990 Isn't old Guys. These RVs are built like the proverbial ...........

Yes. LPG is definately the way to go. GOOD LUCK.:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Thanks for the words of encouragement...

...I feel a lot more positive about making this importing thing work now! ::bigsmile:

Is there anything I need to worry about re. MOT? I read somewhere in another thread about emissions testing, which made me kind of nervous, given the age...I know, I know, it's not THAT old, but still... :Smile: Here's a picture of our baby...

Attachments

• motorhome2_sml.jpg
    motorhome2_sml.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 84

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Nothing to panic about with the MOT or registration

As you go along sure we will all help.

As you'll have all 110 volt electrical goods you wont need to have to major electrical work with just a step down transformer from 220v to 110v.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
...I feel a lot more positive about making this importing thing work now! ::bigsmile:

Is there anything I need to worry about re. MOT? I read somewhere in another thread about emissions testing, which made me kind of nervous, given the age...I know, I know, it's not THAT old, but still... :Smile: Here's a picture of our baby...

The only thing you will need to worry about for MOT is the rear light configuration, i.e. flashing orange indicators - a simple wiring job albeit a bit time consuming. You will be able to pick up orange rear lenses from any RV parts store, if you have a completely red single rear cluster with a small white reversing light section, simply change the white bulbs for amber ones and use those as indicators. If you require a reversing light you can retro fit one along with a rear fog lamp which is also needed for the MOT.

As for emissions, that should not be an issue, the Americans are far more stringent on emissions than we are here - we have never had a problem.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Jon

Lindy C is being very discreet:winky:

She supplies most of us with parts www.statesidetuning.co.uk and also give us a Fun discount.

Plus she's super fast, reliable and a great source of information to:winky::thumb:

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Jon

Lindy C is being very discreet:winky:

She supplies most of us with parts www.statesidetuning.co.uk and also give us a Fun discount.

Plus she's super fast, reliable and a great source of information to:winky::thumb:

Thanks John ::bigsmile:

But if Jon has any sense he'll buy all the bits he needs over in the States before he ships the RV and save himself some dosh :winky: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Thanks guys. New tyres (tires?!) are definitely on the cards before I bring it over. Not sure if LPG is so big over here - will have to look into that. I think it has orange indicators (blinkers?!) already, not sure about fog lamp but that seems an easy fix. Step-down converter will probably have to be purchased in the UK I would think. And we already have almost all the 120V gadgets we need. I'm getting excited about making this happen now, it would be a shame to sell up & leave our little buddy here - she's almost like on of the family now! A bit rough around the edges too, just like me ::bigsmile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Have inserted answers below ::bigsmile:
Thanks guys. New tyres (tires?!) are definitely on the cards before I bring it over.
Yes.....hellishly expensive over here
Not sure if LPG is so big over here - will have to look into that.
You will probably be better having that done in UK
I think it has orange indicators (blinkers?!) already, not sure about fog lamp but that seems an easy fix.
Rear fog lamp is a doddle to fit
Step-down converter will probably have to be purchased in the UK I would think.
Yes, it will
And we already have almost all the 120V gadgets we need.
Bring an extra set :roflmto:
I'm getting excited about making this happen now, it would be a shame to sell up & leave our little buddy here - she's almost like on of the family now! A bit rough around the edges too, just like me ::bigsmile:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Linda & the Fumingerfamily

I agree with Linda to a point all that she told you is all good

But and I don't often do this ... I have to disagree on the tyres the Tioga is probably on 16 inch wheels , the same as my Winnebago and bought a new tyre for mine recently for £75 don't think that was expensive
Sorry Linda :winky:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I didn't buy one in the USA because most of our our appliances either run from 110 volts or from our Inverter via the batteries charged by Solar.
It was due to the problems we had registering that prompted us to go onto a Camp site and we then needed a Transformer. :Sad:

I don't think they would like us to use the generator in an emergency. :ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Very good suggestion John I found transformers expensive here in the UK and looked enviously at the USA prices however the shippng would not have made them ( I needed two) a worthwhile purchase!

Regards Pat

Depends on who you ship them with Pat :winky:

Transformers need not be THAT expensive over here either, like everything, it pays to shop around :Smile:

OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
wattage on inverter

Thanks John for that link. Would I need a 5,000 watt inverter do you think? They do have a 1,500 watt inverter for 1/2 the price - $99. Just trying to think what would be pulled off the inverter - Air con., fridge/freezer, microwave, TV would be the big appliances, then it's things like laptop, toaster, kettle. Just wondering if those would pull more than 1,500 watts? I guess it's better to be on the safe side and get the bigger inverter just in case...

I love this site, and really appreciate the advice from everyone, you guys are great :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
5000 watts would be one heck of a drain on the batteries.

Either way, from the appliances you mention, I personally would play it safe and buy the more powerful one.

Oooh that looks a nice unit.Might think about one this year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
The inverter won't drain the batteries will it? I thought the inverter was only for the camp site power, to step it down from 240V to 110V. So I will plug the lead from the camp site power supply into the inverter, then run a lead from the inverter into the motorhome, right?

Sorry for the dumb questions, all I have to do at the moment being in the US is just plug the motorhome into the campsite then it's job done - and even I can manage that! :ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
A transformer will not drain batteries, an inverter will..............two totally different animals :winky:

OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Thanks Lindy :RollEyes: I have a lot to learn, but I'm getting there! :Smile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Thanks Lindy :RollEyes: I have a lot to learn, but I'm getting there! :Smile:

:ROFLMAO: We ALL had to learn at sometime. No one is born with the knowledge.

BTW. An Inverter converts 12 volts to either 220 volts or 110 volts depending on which you buy.

A Converter, converts 110 volts (or 230 volts if European) into the 12 volts required to run a motorhome/RV.

A Transformer steps a voltage Up or Down depending on which way you want it to go. ie. 110 to 220 or 220 to 110. Or any other transformation of voltage you may require. In actual fact? A Converter is a sort of Transformer but usually does other things beside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

furmingerfamily

Deleted User
Cheers John. Would you say a 5000W transformer is overkill? The next one down in size is 1500W, that's 1/2 the price. Trouble is I have no idea how much the electrics in the RV will pull. When I add up the wattage on the A/C unit, fridge/freezer (although that I think can run off the propane), microwave, plus all the little kitchen gadgets, lights, etc it *might* get somewhere close to 1500W. We don't want something to go "pop" and get left in the dark!!! :ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
3000w transformer is plenty, 5000w might trip the UK site hook ups :RollEyes:

A 3000w transformer is readily available here for roughly the same money that you are looking at paying for the 5k one over there :Cool: If you have an ounce of knowledge you can fit it yourself and of course advice is free :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back