Importing grom Germany

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by BJKD, Apr 17, 2016.

1. BJKD

BJKD Funster

This will be third import from Germany.I am collecting my new Frankia A class mid May.
    At present i insure my Frankia with Comfort .Unfirtunately they will no longer insure a personal import-only if imported by a dealer!!
    Only Safeguard will give me a quote,but at nearly 3 times my current renewal price with Comfort.
    My dealer is getting cover to the port.Safeguard will insure on a Chassis number until it is registered.But at over £ 800 !!Ouch.
    Any alternatives any body can recommend please.
    Cheers.

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Try NFU, I insured our Hymer with them and once it was registered I changed back to Comfort, NFU don't have any cancellation charges.
    Also Safeguard have a habit of quoting high intial & renewal price but will often price match, so worth getting a few quotes then going back to them. Safeguard will always be a bit dearer than Comfort if you don't need breakdown cover as it is included in their policies and is not an option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BJKD

BJKD Funster

As i always fit a Thatcham Cat 1Alarm which has been enough of a Security Device-now Comfort wanted me to have a Trackerfitted .The cost of the Tracker alone is over £ 700 on top of a similar figure for the Alarm.
    I will try NFU-but will have to wait until the 25thas they are unable to give a quote before 30 days before the policy is due.