importing from usa to uk/europe (1 Viewer)

william1314

Free Member
May 24, 2013
desert hot springs
Funster No
MH
class a
Exp
we are looking for advice-information on the way to import motorhome from usa to uk or Europe which ever is esier,
I have carriers-shipping sorted out , but I am more looking for import restrictions,country import rules,taxes on motorhome requirments ie electrics,lpg,ect, we are australian citizens, have owned the motorhome for over 12 months turing in the usa , now want to do Europe/uk

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
As I understand it, providing you don't sell the vehicle while you're over here then it should be fairly straight forward.

I would start with the Gov Vehicle Agency here and see if you can track down full information https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

Also .

If you hit a brick wall post on here and someone is bound to be able to help further.

Insurance might be more of an issue if you don't already have that sorted?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I often wondered if it is much of a saving importing a RV yourself compared to buying one already here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi William and welcome.

I DON'T KNOW THE FINER DETAILS BUT IMPORTING INTO THE UK IS FAR EASIER THAN IMPORTING TO MAINLAND EUROPE.

EVEN SO, THE IMPORT RULES CHANGED RECENTLY AND ITS MUCH HARDER NOW THAN A YEAR AGO.

THERE IS AN AGE LIMIT ON THE vehicle you want to bring in.....under 10 years old I believe

(Sorry for the capitals...just noticed :Doh:)

Once it arrives at a UK port the customs and excise take over.
IMPORT tax will be charged but I believe VAT is waived if the RV has been used outside the UK for a minimum time...6 months I believe.
Once customs have ripped you off the RV will be released from the docks but It can't be driven on UK roads until it has been converted to UK lighting so you will need a UK converter to take charge.
Proffesional converters have ways and means of driving it to their premises I believe.

Many insurers will insure on the chassis/VIN number alone until the conversion is complete and tested, which will include a vehicle inspection at a VOSA (vehicle and operator service agency) test centre which will be dealt with by your converter.

Once the inspection is complete you can apply for UK registration plates.

Currently VOSA are checking every possible dimension of an RV to confirm it is not too long or wide.
Width LIMIT is 2.55Mtr and length is 12mtr......any wider or longer and it WON'T get registered…guaranteed.
Ladders, bumpers and mirrors are NOT INCLUDED in the measurements.

UK lighting is a must but any other conversion is your choice……110vac to 230vac.
Obviously a 230v to 110v converter is a must to run inbuilt 110v appliances as all EUROPE is now 230v...unless you have no need for shore power (EHU) ie...using the on-board generator only etc

Hope this info helps and somebody with more first hand experience will correct any mistakes I made.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
to add to Johns excellent post

You will need a UK address to register the RV .. also required for insurance purposes.. that could be a relative or friend..

if possible I'd sort out the insurance in the US and have it cover all the European countries you want to visit.. doing it in the UK could be problematic and expensive.

good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back