Importing from Germany? (1 Viewer)

M

Marion

Deleted User
Has anyone bought a secondhand <10 yr old European motorhome from Germany, & imported it themselves?

DVLA's website mentions the need for a certificate of Type Approval, or some such. Presumably a prvate seller in Germany wouldn't have one of these.

Dioes anyone have any first hand knowledge they could impart?

Much appreciated. We're in France en route to Germany with a view to buying a small m/h, so any help (asap!) would be very useful. I may not be able to get online straight away, but will do as soo as I can.

Cheers chasps

Bruce

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone ??

I was searching for a thread about importing from Germany and found the post had gone unanswered .. someone must have done it .. so, what is the procedure .. ?

thanks in anticipation, I hope I don't wait as long as Bruce has :roflmto:

jim

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bruce,

Some insurance companies will not accept private imports so ask first. The insurance you get with the export plates in Germany is only third party. The pound to euro makes it not a very good time to import.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Bruce,

Some insurance companies will not accept private imports so ask first. The insurance you get with the export plates in Germany is only third party. The pound to euro makes it not a very good time to import.

Dave

Hi Dave , it's me that's asking now, I think Bruce may have bought already :roflmto:

I appreciate that the exchange rate is unfavorable.. but the particular models I'm looking at are scarcer than hens teeth in the UK.. and even the odd one I find is way more expensive than buying in Germany .. so it's not a money saving exercise..

What is the best or simpliest way to pay the German dealer ?

cheers

jim

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think it can still be worthwhile importing. I had a quote for a van from Belgium earlier this year and it was still a £10.000 saving (55k here 45k Belgium)

Last edited:

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Jim,

Dealers will only accept bank transfers and this can take some time to come through the system. I take it you are after a S700 or the like? I gave up as the Germans have now seen the light and are selling their new Hymers and getting the old one's as they are more reliable and there are no squeaks, I ended up with a Niesmann + Bischoff Flair 8000i from a private sale in this country and it was cheaper than importing. There are 7 old style S700s on mobile.de at the moment I keep looking as I still like them.

Good luck with the hunt
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

bilbao camper

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
Getxo spain
Funster No
Exp
3 years
After purchasing you take the German documents to the local registration office they will issue you with new ones in your name in the same office is a department that will sell you insurance and export plates these last from 2 weeks upwards.Total cost is around 220 euros and will take you aprox 2hrs.when you return to Uk get the camper M.O.Td INSURED then take these with German documents to your local DVLA office pay registration fee and tax 240 pounds they will phone when tempory reg documents are ready take these and get numberplates made Type documents not reguired on pre 2008 motorhomes as they are exempt in U.K.

BILBAO CAMPER

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
When buying your MH privately, try and get one with a German MOT. If not, Follow these steps:-
1) Get an MOT 2) Get insurance for a month for transit 3) Take the MH with Bill of sale, MOT, Insurance and your Passport to the "Anmeldungsamt" in the area. The doors open at 07:30 Mon: to Frei: Pull a ticket and wait for your no: and cubicle no: show up. Put all the papers on the table and say you bought the MH and want it taken to England. He will do everything automatically deregister and reregister for you while you are waiting in the waiting room. If you intend to return immediately to England after the paper work, get a 15 day Transit plate. You can have a 30 day plate but it is more expensive. When your name is called, go to the window and he/she will give you 2 tickets: a) a FEE ticket to pay for the transaction, which you pay at an automatic machine Have small notes and coins of every denomination as the machine don't give out change. b) a ticket for the number of your plate. Get (a) done first. Then get (b) your plates done within the building, you pay for this seperately. When this is done, go back to the counter and hand the receipt for the FEE and the Registration plate. He/she will do the neccessary. Make sure you have all the Documents before you leave the counter, especially your NEW Log book, in your name.
Job done. Note:- The reason they ask to have the Mh with you is that they MAY check Chassis and Engine number for theft.

If bought from a Dealer: Ask him to do everything for you. ( No charge for his service)You have to hand him your Passport. Get a receipt from him foryour Passport. He should have it all done in 24 hours. You then pay him for doing the Transfer fees and number plates. Make sure you get your Passport back. This is the best way of doing it. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back