Importing from Germany (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
I have watched the forums here for a while, have learned a lot, thanks, especially to the ever helpful Judge Mental and HowardandSue. have now joined. I have a couple of questions. I'm due to collect my new M/H im May.... and wonder:

1. When you have imported have you used the Chunnel to get back? Can you book in advance with a registration no. to be confirmed... and will german export plates be accepted at the Terminal?

2. After arriving in the UK, I will be insured on the VIN No. ... but is it safe and legal to drive home to the North on german export plates? Or should I have prebooked an MOT garage appointment for VCA validation to quote if stopped? Or am I being a worrier for no reason?

Many thanks in advance, and thanks to all the interesting posters whose threads have helped and entertained me on the way.

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi, I collected my new motorhome from Strasbourg, France 10 days ago and came back thru Eurotunnel. Booked it several weeks ago and then just added export plate number online when I arrived for the handover.
No issues with French export plates and the only thing they checked was the LPG supply.
As for driving back in England I'm not sure it is entirely legal but the chances of getting stopped must be very slim and as long as you have insurance on your VIN I would think you would be ok.
Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.
Andy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't worry about plates and always use tunnel with no issues. To cover yourself you can always pre book the MOT
. That's what I do but changes to vehicle always done beforehand by dealer...don't worry so much it's a breeze, thinking about it beforehand the hard part...once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss about! :)

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just had German motorhomes go past me at light speed on the Spanish motorway (like I was going backwards) same every time I go on the German autobahns. It seems a lot of The Germans drive their vans like BMW's at a maximum speed! I would certainly get a full engine & gearbox inspection on a second hand German driven motorhome.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Just had German motorhomes go past me at light speed on the Spanish motorway (like I was going backwards) same every time I go on the German autobahns. It seems a lot of The Germans drive their vans like BMW's at a maximum speed! I would certainly get a full engine & gearbox inspection on a second hand German driven motorhome.

I think the German vans have a lot of wind power behind them :whistle:

Neil

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Do the Rotterdam/hull route. Loads more relaxing than that "darn Sarf" malarkey:)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Oh come on do you really think poddling around for a few thousand miles a year and leaving it unused for months does a vans running gear any good
Let's put it this way, when I was into restoring old motorbikes and cars, the ones that survived most intact were not the ones thrashed down the motorway in all conditions... But the ones that did a few thousand miles a year and were the relatively unused ones.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
But surely, the bikes rev a lot higher, so mile for mile, their little pistons are going up and down a lot more? :wink:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Do the Rotterdam/hull route. Loads more relaxing than that "darn Sarf" malarkey:)
Yes, that's exactly what we did when we brought our van back from Germany. Dead easy!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
But surely, the bikes rev a lot higher, so mile for mile, their little pistons are going up and down a lot more? :wink:
Yes......how many Japanese bikes do you find with the original engine at 200,000 miles ???

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Oh come on do you really think poddling around for a few thousand miles a year and leaving it unused for months does a vans running gear any good
Just followed another German down a half made track with roadworks, he was doing about 60 MPH, I was doing about 20 mph and getting shaken about......his milk must be well shaken by now.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Only time I ever have any problems with my vehicles is when they're left standing for any length of time.o_O Bikes cars or m/home.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Only time I ever have any problems with my vehicles is when they're left standing for any length of time.o_O Bikes cars or m/home.
Well yes, you have to rotate the tyres, leave the handbrake off, and use the braking system and turn over the engine and make arrangements to recharge any battery system. (Plus additional stuff on a MH) If you are leaving any vehicle for a length of time.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back