LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Hi everyone, new this forum and hopefully motorhomes. I really need help/advice/guidance..........
We have been looking at A class Rapido's for the last few months and thought we had found the one that ticked most of our boxes........
Then, using the power of the web (actually, by mistake....) I happened across the same model, 3 years newer, a lot less money, for sale in France.
Now the question is, apart from the obvious one, how do you go about importing it to Blighty.
Thanks in advance..

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I agree it can be done, but why go through the hassle and with the current exchange rate there are some great vans available on the french market.:)
That was pretty much what I was saying :) especially if you don't have a van to start with ! Just letting them know you can but not so easy or cheap !!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Of course a true patriot would buy a MH made in the UK! Only kidding, except I did although of course the base vehicle is made in the land of opera and pasta. What is sad is the current £/€ exchange make imports from Europe cheaper and works against UK companies trying to export. This must be hitting the profits of Jaguar Land Rover for example even when their products are trying to sink in the Solent.

I read an interesting article yesterday how the euro even on a good day gives Germany a good exchange rate and benefits their exports, most notably things like cars and trains etc. If they were still using the Mark it would be following the Swiss Franc and climbing upwards - making their exports much less attractive. Being part of the euro zone the other countries with less strong economies drag the exchange rate down to the benefit of the richer exporting countries in the group.

But I can't blame you for wanting to use the current exchange rate to buy a MH from Europe - I'll be putting some euros on my cards soon! :):):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
If you can get one at a good price I agree . We reregistered ours as we already had it and did not want to change it. It can be done but does need patience and lots of paperwork !! Also cost us around 1000€ in all ten years ago so not sure of the cost now !!

I'm assuming that the €1000 is for registering the MH in France, it's a lot cheaper to register a French one in England. I hope

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
IF you can sort export insurance a flight to Bordeaux in Feb is about £40 so getting it not a problem, forget about driving there...

£20 La Rochelle :)
Just offered €45000, I think he nearly choked on his croissant. I can't help it, I'm yorkshire, we don't do asking price...

Reactions: Mel
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No one does :) That's a reasonable offer considering no guarantee and its still winter...soon as spring comes prices firm up. All depends on how keen he is to sell. Have you found out anything more re export plates & insurance, as like I said before easy in Germany but dont think french have the same arrangements.
In germany plates belong to the seller, and stay with him to be transferred to his next vehicle. hence why export plates straightforward

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Waiting for a reply regards the offer, a fair one I think aswell. I'm going to ask him ( if the van checks out when we view it at his home address ) if he would drive it to St Malo or Caen, then I'd pay his train fair home.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I think it's the same in France.
Sorry... NO! A vehicle sold in France goes away with its plates . Then when registered to the prefecture with new owner, is given new plates. Old ones are just thrown away by new owner or left at the garage which put the new ones.
We have never been owners of our plates.

Frankie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Well, finally did it. We are now proud owners of a 2011 Rapido 9095df, in immaculate condition with loads of extras that would have cost a small fortune for us to buy and put on (remote self seeking sat dish, full insulated windscreen cover, and loads more bits and bobs).
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks again for all the advice that people on this brilliant forum have gave me and my wife

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back